what a way to die

les gedge

These things happen - personally I dislike barbed wire fences for this reason. It's not nice, I hate to think of how long it might have taken to die.

not the sort of picture I like to see -- don't think it will help anyone to have it in public view - just my thoughts :yp:

Just my thoughts - I don't think it really matters. It's not anything we shooters have done, it's not our fault and therefore shouldn't reflect badly on us. It actually probably shows us in good light as we do our best to put the injured animal out of it's misery.

saturday just going to set off for durham for a night out with friends when 1 off my lady farmers rang me to say they was a deer caught in a fence when i got there it was already dead .made good dog food dogs well happy.les

Says it all for me that one :wacko: :yp:

These things happen - personally I dislike barbed wire fences for this reason. It's not nice, I hate to think of how long it might have taken to die.

Just my thoughts - I don't think it really matters. It's not anything we shooters have done, it's not our fault and therefore shouldn't reflect badly on us. It actually probably shows us in good light as we do our best to put the injured animal out of it's misery.

Well said bedwards, +1 :good: its an unfortunate casualty, same as deer injured by traffic, its often us that offer "humane dispatch"

Im sure Les would have eased its suffering humanely if needed, true sportsmen have respect for their quarry, I know I do. moorman

Edited by moor man

Well said bedwards, +1 :good: its an unfortunate casualty, the same as deer injured by traffic, its often us that offer "humane dispatch".

Im sure that if needed Les would have dispatched the beast humanely and ended its suffering.

In contrast, I have been behind an "animal lovers" car while they carefully drove around a rabbit dying of myxie, unpleasant as it was the poor rabbit was dispatched quickly [soon after by me] its one thing expressing care for animals, another showing it.. moorman

Poor thing :no:

In a situation like that there is very little one can do, other than offer the animal a swift end!

I got Lambasted from the GF for helping a rabbit with Mixy on the caravan park. She squealed and thumped me! I told her I quite honestly don't give a fig, what she thinks of Me! I did what needed to be done and it was MORE humane than leaving it there to die of the disease.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i was to come across a deer in that position that was still alive, would it be legal to dispatch it with a shotgun etc if thats what i had with me or does the minimum rifle calibre law still apply?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i was to come across a deer in that position that was still alive, would it be legal to dispatch it with a shotgun etc if thats what i had with me or does the minimum rifle calibre law still apply?

You can use anything available, even a piece of wood nearby to bash it over the head with is legal if it's the best method available.

If using a rifle then it would need to be conditioned for humane dispatch, but any calibre would be legal.

(Playing devils advocate for a second)... what about using a knife?.....in the view of the public?...... or a hammer?. What is acceptable to human sensibility? Personally if I saw an injured deer that was unable to get up and run away id bundle it into a coat covering its eyes, out of the view of the public and dispatch it with whatever I could find to do the job efficiently, gruesome I know but Id rather have somebody cross at me than watch an animal suffer. Just my opinion.

I know of an incident where a deer was knocked down and immobilised, police were in attendance who called RSPCA, who called a local deer management group. It took some time to find someone available to dispatch the deer humanely, in the meantime the distraught police officer took it upon herself to call a vet. The vet arrived and administered a lethal injection, the carcass was put in a field for collection by the local authority. Meanwhile a local person heard of the free venison/accident, but not of how it was dispatched, the meat very nearly entered the food chain but for a timely announcement on local radio, lessons learned all round.

Venison should not be allowed for human consumption unless its provenance is known, ie observed to be acting normally, looking healthy, shot legally and carcass inspected :D etc.

Hats off to Les, Lord Geordie and Bedwards, :good:

Dont really want to say bacause im probably about to recieve some stick for saying it.

In my case when the deer got tangeld it nocked its self out and somone ran across the beaters line who had seen it and asked me for help, Together we quickly could see that is had broken its two front legs, realistically little or no chance of recovery. While the deer was out cold we untangeld it, when out however it came round and began calling out horribly and flailing its legs, i held it down while the other person slit its throat and quickly cut its spinal cord, all we had on us was a swiss army knife ( normal pocket knife size not the huge one's ). I know im going to get stick from someone but looking back ( i was 14 at the time and my second seasons beating) it was a quicker probably less painfull way to die than it coming round in the barbed wire and flaiing around in there.

It was dealt with quickly and simply, and the bambi borginion i had two weeks later was great too, Its not a nice way to go and i cannot say im a fan of barbed wire.

Demon wolf that was the correct thing to do, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I have come across the skeletal reamins of a roe buck which had died in similar circumstances. Also seen what appeared to be two sibling roe leap a fence in front of the beating line, both got heads entangled somehow and both broke their necks. Deer killed and maimed in this way may not be as unusual as we might think.

Blackpowder

Lots of trauma on that beast ,I think it would have died very quickly . Barbed wire fences are a real danger to deer and it looks as if this one was running flat out before it hit the fence . This picture illustrates how deer running into fence wire can have a limb amputated as clean as if were cut off with a knife . I have seen a number of deer killed and injured on fence runs over the years ,never a pretty sight . Incidently ,fence wire is just as dangerous to your dogs as well .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

(Playing devils advocate for a second)... what about using a knife?.....in the view of the public?...... or a hammer?. What is acceptable to human sensibility? Personally if I saw an injured deer that was unable to get up and run away id bundle it into a coat covering its eyes, out of the view of the public and dispatch it with whatever I could find to do the job efficiently, gruesome I know but Id rather have somebody cross at me than watch an animal suffer. Just my opinion.

I know of an incident where a deer was knocked down and immobilised, police were in attendance who called RSPCA, who called a local deer management group. It took some time to find someone available to dispatch the deer humanely, in the meantime the distraught police officer took it upon herself to call a vet. The vet arrived and administered a lethal injection, the carcass was put in a field for collection by the local authority. Meanwhile a local person heard of the free venison/accident, but not of how it was dispatched, the meat very nearly entered the food chain but for a timely announcement on local radio, lessons learned all round.

Venison should not be allowed for human consumption unless its provenance is known, ie observed to be acting normally, looking healthy, shot legally and carcass inspected :D etc.

Hats off to Les, Lord Geordie and Bedwards, :good:

If the public are in the vicinity get someone to usher them out of the way. Especially woman and children.

If the public are in the vicinity get someone to usher them out of the way. Especially woman and children.

Good idea if you can , I shot an escaped bull on a sunny bank holiday in a fairly built up area , the public were out and saw me take the shot , I had total confidence in my/weapon ability and it dropped amidst calls of murderer etc .