Rabbit Shotgun

Nosweth dda!

I've recently notice more than a few rabbit about whilst heading to my crow shooting permission.

I haven't been tempted to fire a shot because I am unsure about all the facts.

I only carry a shotgun with me when I see them and would only shoot a rabbit for the pot really because they cause very little damage.

Now I have been told by some that a blast from a shotgun would be a definite overkill and the meat would be useless for the table, whilst others tell me it's fine form 30yrs ect.

Could anyone give me their thoughts on this please?

Can you shoot, then eat a rabbit with a shotgun?

What carts, shot size would you recommend if so?

What distance would be acceptable?

Edited by hedd-wyn

We shotgun hundreds of rabbits every year;good stoppers are Clear Pigeon 32grm 6's,or High Pheasant 32grm 5's.Quarter and half chokes are ideal.Don't try it with steel shot though,unless you're wearing eye protection.

That's great news, I have several boxes of the old Clear Pigeon will try them out over the weekend :good:

Can't believe I haven't asked this question months ago :no:

I use 32g shot Clear Pigeon or 32g 6 shot Sterling Gane for bunnies. Soak the meat in salted water for 48 hours before you cook it, and any fur pulled into the body by shot will come to the surface of the meat. Any shot still in the meat you can pop out like a lead filled spot. I always dice the meat before cooking so that I come across any shot before the kids teeth do!

I did shoot one at 15 yards or so with 1/4 choke last year. When I flicked the guts into a bucket, it sounded like a fruit machine paying out... I thought that I might have caught it with the edge of the pattern, but I think the whole 32g was in it's belly.

The only problem i've ever had is with a gut shot rabbit where the gut has burst or punctured inside - Don't happen often, but you'll smell it instantly when it does!!

This is what I was worried about.

But will find out tomorrow morning hopefully :yes:

:lol: the gut smell!!!!!!!!

Slightly off topic I know,but that comment just reminded me of something.Many years ago a mate and me had a long ferreting session,and for some reason he put the carcasses in a black bin-liner in the back of the van.I thought he had gutted them before doing so,while I picked and folded up the nets etc.At the end of the session we must have been well into double figures and decided to take them to a local pub where we knew we'd be paid for them.The landlady said she would take them so I went to get them only to discover they hadn't been gutted.We did the deed round the back of the pub,but I could only manage a couple before the horrendous stink got to me and I started retching,and the guts weren't even pierced!He thought it was hilarious,but this is one of the reasons why I insist on paunching immediately.

Yes...burst guts are even worse.

Slightly off topic I know,but that comment just reminded me of something.Many years ago a mate and me had a long ferreting session,and for some reason he put the carcasses in a black bin-liner in the back of the van.I thought he had gutted them before doing so,while I picked and folded up the nets etc.At the end of the session we must have been well into double figures and decided to take them to a local pub where we knew we'd be paid for them.The landlady said she would take them so I went to get them only to discover they hadn't been gutted.We did the deed round the back of the pub,but I could only manage a couple before the horrendous stink got to me and I started retching,and the guts weren't even pierced!He thought it was hilarious,but this is one of the reasons why I insist on paunching immediately.

Yes...burst guts are even worse.

:lol: :lol: :sick::lol: :lol:

Guest cookoff013

shot rabbits with all manour of cartridges, i`ve used 6s 5s 4s and 2s. prefer using the 4s in 36g.

this was over ferrets, and had to do a few clean up shots from a guy wh was shooting 6s. he is an exellent shot, and very fast. he just clipped fur a couple of times and my loads finished them off at 40 yards or so. some still bolting hard.

i wouldnt have thought the 6 would have done the job.

I regularly shoot rabbits with my 12 bore using Clear Pigeon 6 shot in 30g. I don't have any issues with shotgunned rabbits, the only thing I would say is try to make a point of gutting them as soon as they are shot. It only takes a few seconds to "cut and flick" with a sharp knife and it saves "tainting" the meat if the gut has been pierced by any of the shot!

Get on out there and get shooting - If you can find a break between these damned rain showers! :lol:

Well gents, was hoping to bag some rabbits this morning but no such luck.

It was blatantly too bloody wet and nothing appeared on the usual spot. Managed to bag myself some crows all the same, the rabbits will have to wait until the weather improves :rolleyes: