Sgc application waiting times

The differences between forces are really quite amazing. At least one force can now issue a straightforward variation while you wait while in Glos it takes at least 3 months. The task is the same, so it can only be down to the numbers of FEO's and Admin officers employed, the procedures followed or the number of applications received.

Once a Dept has lost control of the workload (and 3 month+ waits for variations, 6 month+ waits for new issues suggest this to be the case) it can only get worse unless that Dept takes steps to do things differently because they are not going to get extra staff anytime soon and the numbers of applications are going up not down!

Those forces who do change how they do things - differentiating between the straightforward variations / renewals and those that need a closer look and offering an immediate response to the simple stuff, not insisting on home visits to every FAC / SGC holder where nothing has changed or where a home visit has been done in recent years and so on are the ones who seem to have regained control, it's a pity that others can't or won't learn from them

I've been waiting for just under 3 months for my FAC to come back from Northants police, it should finally be here within a week or two. I know the two officers covering our area reasonably well, one through a family connection and the other shoots the same ground as me.

Ineptitude has absolutely nothing to do with it. They have a massive backlog, have recently been the subject of resource cutbacks and are currently having to cover each others areas (which are not insignificant in size) for land/home visits etc.

Just be patient, it's frustrating but that's life.

I've been waiting for just under 3 months for my FAC to come back from Northants police, it should finally be here within a week or two. I know the two officers covering our area reasonably well, one through a family connection and the other shoots the same ground as me.

Ineptitude has absolutely nothing to do with it. They have a massive backlog, have recently been the subject of resource cutbacks and are currently having to cover each others areas (which are not insignificant in size) for land/home visits etc.

Just be patient, it's frustrating but that's life.

I don't think it is ineptitude at the individual officer level, I don't doubt for a second that they individually work very hard to do the volume of work asked of them nor do I doubt that it must be very demoralizing for them.

I am not so sure about the systems employed within some Forces though. It is obvious that some are doing things differently and are now on top of the game whilst others are doing things the way they have always done them and are now drowning in huge backlogs that can only get worse with the passing of every month. It must be a nightmare for the FEO's in particular, but what is happening in many parts of the country is not good enough leaving shooters with no access to ammo, holding guns unlawfully and in some cases being unable to take part in competition, not wanting to transport weapons they have no current ticket for. If all the delays were around 3 months that would be poor but tolerable, trouble is I know of people waiting MUCH longer than that and patience isn't the answer after 6 - 10 months, formal complaint to the CC and MP might be though.

5 weeks for me, issued by South Wales Police. I did however take the initiative to ring the FEO and let him know I was off work for a week so he could call anytime during that week as opposed to the requested pm appointment stated on my application, He said that this also made it a lot easier for him as he had hundreds of interviews to carry out and most people wanted a pm visit so they could take the least ammount of time off work possible. So I advise getting their number and giving them A call, I feared I may have come across as being pushy which may have gone against me but it worked out better for us both.

I had 6 weeks from submitting the paperwork. Gave them a quick ring , just to make sure the paperwork was with them and he made an appointment with me for 4 days later. Certificate came through in 6 days.

Edited by Ernest

(My first post so hi all)

First time application for SGC, 3 weeks until interview, was told needed to get a GP sign off, 11 weeks later and still waiting. 2 weeks ago was told that they were still waiting for the GP to reply, so it isn't just delays with the police.

I bet the good weather will have past by the time it comes. Want to get out there and break some clays.