Pellet washing

Robbie uk

Have washed accupels before (before when they were a good pellet) just used warm water, fairy washing up liquid, rinsed in a sieve, hairdryer, no oil - i used a brown leather polish/wax on a lint free cloth pour the warm pellets into cloth and coat.

Lubing pellets improved the accuracy of my Falcon PCP rifle. I tested it extensively. My method was one or two drops ( and no more ) in a freezer bag, scrunch the bag up and roll it around to distribute the oil over the inside, add a whole tin of pellets and gently roll them around until coated then pour them back into the tin. I tried spray PTFE type lube but it made the accuracy worse, more than just a tiny amount of pellet lube also made it worse.

With lubed pellets id be worried about dieseling.

With my AAS400 i can do pellet on pellet at 30 yards in good conditions.

The way id look at it is you see many(inc. me) people reloading for accuracy in center-fire ammunition and they don't oil or lubricate bullets.

save your time for extra practice at the range!

With lubed pellets id be worried about dieseling.

With my AAS400 i can do pellet on pellet at 30 yards in good conditions.

The way id look at it is you see many(inc. me) people reloading for accuracy in center-fire ammunition and they don't oil or lubricate bullets.

save your time for extra practice at the range!

There's very little comparison between centrefire and air-rifle. Air doesn't have the power to set a bullet into the rifling, even a little extra friction can mean a pellet leaves later than the one before.

Before you dismiss it, try it, it's the only way to know.

I use Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums, there are no bad mouldings, swarf, loose lead flakes, nothing like that.

I add 5 drops of Napier Power Lube to a tin of pellets, then they are ready for use. Napier does not diesel and seems to work, I noticed an improvement in grouping when I used it so I still do!

A small bottle lasts ages as well!

:hmm: It depends on what pellets you are using if there cheap like marksman yes wash them with warm soapy water clean the bits of lead out of the tin dry them and put a few drops of oil on them to stop them oxidising. :no: Don`t drown them or they could diesel. I use Crosmam or RWS superfield or superdomes. They are very clean but if i do wash them i clean the tin out wash the pellets and dry them and put them in the oven on a low heat for an hour. Put them back in the tin with six drops of Napier power lube. They keep a nice shine and feel very slick. :no: Don`t put power lube down the barrel it can send your rifle over 12 ftlb :oops: . I love pellets with a shine they look like tracers when out lamping or with night vision.:lol: . Happy :shoot:

There's very little comparison between centrefire and air-rifle. Air doesn't have the power to set a bullet into the rifling, even a little extra friction can mean a pellet leaves later than the one before.

Before you dismiss it, try it, it's the only way to know.

Wrong, the skirt gets flared into the rifling, next time you can find a pellet in something you have shot, look for the grooves on the skirt (sounds like a hippy that, "The grooves man!"), I will try today!

The grooves on the skirt comes from the skirt being set into the rifling. This imparts spin and makes the pellet more accurately aimed. Otherwise all air rifles would be smooth bore!

Wrong, the skirt gets flared into the rifling, next time you can find a pellet in something you have shot, look for the grooves on the skirt (sounds like a hippy that, "The grooves man!"), I will try today!

The grooves on the skirt comes from the skirt being set into the rifling. This imparts spin and makes the pellet more accurately aimed. Otherwise all air rifles would be smooth bore!

Setting a bullet into the rifling is very different from blowing out the thin skirt of a pellet, a bullet is solid and it takes a lot of pressure to swage it into the barrel. I'm quite aware that the rifling bites into the pellet - there would be no point in having it otherwise. My point is that given the very small amount of power available any difference in the size or even shape of the pellet will make a difference, a small amount of lube can help eliminate the extra friction and improve consistency.

I don't know anyone that bothers washing pellets.

I know some people who weigh them and divide into closer weight groups (that can be an interesting exercise) and I know some people who like me and other writers here who use 2 - 5 drops of Napier lube per tin on pellets that don't come pre-lubricated.

I think decent quality pellets these days are not as mucky as many undoubtedly were just a few years ago.

If you are intent on washing your pellets then try the following process.

wash in detergent to remove any oils muck on the pellets

rinse and place on a towel to dry - aid using a warm oven

rinse again in a stong solution of car-wash and wax, drain and leave to dry.

you can feel the coating on the pellets.

Weather your into full bore target shooting out to 1000 mtrs or shooting low powered air guns people strive to get the best accuracy out of what tools they have at hand,how they do it and which methods it doesnt matter What matters is they try.

There will be times it wont do anything what so ever,so, we had a go. Sometimes we improve our goal by improving our own confidence.

• 3 weeks later...