Are you a gun snob ?

Harnser

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago, A friend and I were shooting skeet, we had been shooting a few years and had moved up to Beretta’s our scores were nearly always in the 20’s. we were joined by a young man with a tatty old Bailel and a pocket full of different types (some rusty) cartridges, we both looked at his equipment and thought we were far superior, He proceeded to thrash us shooting gun way down (ISU style) with 25 balls of dust. I have never judged anyone since then, you can’t judge a book by the cover. :no::no::no:

I have two Beretta's, a Browning and a Miroku.

Some would call me a gun snob, other wouldn't.

However, what I paid for them is another story. I will always strive to buy the best I can, not to try to keep up with tarquin as someone already mentioned, but to simply own the best that I can. Price is irrelevent, its the product I'll be carrying about and shooting, not the tag.

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

I am not a gun snob, and use what gun is right for the situation. Yes i do own a nice gun, or what i class a nice gun, but even then i only own it because i want to, not to look flash or try to impress anybody.

What i don't really understand is how much better can a £100,000 gun be than a £5000 gun, i get that the wood might be nicer, blueing deeper etc etc, but in real terms of how it shoots how much better can it be?

There is nothing wrong with owning nice expensive guns I have a couple . Owning nice guns dont make a person a gun snob . What I hate is the morons who will look down on people shooting the cheap end of the market guns as if they are peasants (and you will find them in most gun clubs)some of the snide remarks really get up my nose ,a better quality gun would have killed that bird ,didn't think that gun could shoot so far , a bit of banter is good fun but some of these snobs need a kick up the Khyber .

Harnser .

There is nothing wrong with owning nice expensive guns I have a couple . Owning nice guns dont make a person a gun snob . What I hate is the morons who will look down on people shooting the cheap end of the market guns as if they are peasants (and you will find them in most gun clubs)some of the snide remarks really get up my nose ,a better quality gun would have killed that bird ,didn't think that gun could shoot so far , a bit of banter is good fun but some of these snobs need a kick up the Khyber .

Harnser .

Maybe I'm lucky but I've never seen that. But then I've got some nice guns...;)

Harnser .

I know what you mean, just before the start of last season i had my old Hatsan camo auto out on the clays for a practice round before my first wildfowling trip. At the ground i was at, just before the season starts there are an influx of game shooters who turn up for there once a year clay round before the pheasants kick off.

On the day in question 2 "gentlemen" were finishing off at a stand and had struggled on the stand shooting about 4/10 each, they turned around and told me how tricky it was, at this point i pulled my auto from its slip they didn't say anything but the conversation just stopped! As i stood in the stand i could hear them having a right whinge about the gun and me, a few minutes later and a 10/10 they soon shut up :lol: :lol:

I've actually been both sides of this debate and in all honesty gun snobbery, whether inverted or standard, is a bit illogical. Anyone who has ever played golf will be familiar with the scene of a bloke turning up looking like the Pringle factory has puked on him, with a set of irons worth a small mortgage, who proceeds to hack his way round the course, beet red, swearing as he goes. The argument being that perhaps a little more should have been invested on lessons and a little less on gear?

I don't really think it's any different with shooting. If you are a terrible shot and buy expensive gear (but enjoy it anyway) then good luck to you. The same goes for cheaper gear.

My personal experience is that my second highest score on a clay ground was with a cheap, older gun, my highest ever score (a few % more) was with a gun that cost thirteen times more than that.

I'd love to fire an £80,000 gun though just for the experience. Trouble is I'd probably drop it... :blush:

I don't think the mechanics of an expensive gun are any better, just the engraving detail and woodwork - as far as I know the internals are the same whether it's an Aya or a purdey are they not?

Regards,

Gixer

pretty much yes! Certainly on the mid range guns like Beretta, Browning, Miroku etc. Some of the higher grade guns have drop out triggers, sidelocks etc, but usually aesthetics.

you pay for the wood, engraving, service, option of custom stocks, and trigger pulls. Ballance is very personal so that can also be taken into account. Still need to point them in the right place of course.

I was taken round the Krieghoff factory a couple of years back (5!?) and the level of work that goes into everything is staggering.

I think modern technology brings the middle and cheap range of guns into a level playing field.

Although I can appreciate the good workmanship that we see in the hand made guns.

However I shoot with cheaper end guns and it doesn't bother me.

My friend is a typical tackle tart when it comes to guns.

For instance I bought a new bettinsoli he bought a Beretta, he has sent his gun in for adjustments to the cast because he can't shoot with it.

Another friend got a franchi semi for a couple of hundred squids, so he went and bought a new Beretta semi and has only used it once since.

Again he bought a lovley 20 gauge and, everyone said how beautifully it was, he then sold it becaue he didn't like it.

Anyway my point is it don't matter what ya shoot with, as long as you enjoy the sport.

Lister

Jealousy is a disease, if a man turns up at a shoot with a cracking shotgun odds are he's worked for it and saved for it, it doesn't matter if he can shoot or not, maybe he spends too much time working to practice but that's his choice. You might spend your wages on a nice car, holiday, or in the pub - he spent his on his dream gun.

Remember, you could have that gun too if you'd worked harder or saved better.

Jealousy is a disease, if a man turns up at a shoot with a cracking shotgun odds are he's worked for it and saved for it, it doesn't matter if he can shoot or not, maybe he spends too much time working to practice but that's his choice. You might spend your wages on a nice car, holiday, or in the pub - he spent his on his dream gun.

Well said that man. :yes::yes::yes:

Nail on the head!

I'm not a gun snob as the few guns I own are on the lower end of the cost scale.

I plan on becoming a gun snob when I buy what will be for

an expensive gun for me. I will look down on everyone using cheaper guns than me, especially those who have bought what I sold them!

Have to say it does annoy me when you see something that has taken a craftsman years to make and then some idiot with an excess of cash has no respect for it, seen expensing guns thrown around and Aston martins parked in a wood ontop of a stump - why do that to them? Buy something that suits requirements - not just something because it keeps up with your mates!

Regards,

Gixer

Gun snobbery is not about owning nice guns ,but looking down on those who cannot afford to own top of the range guns .

Harnser .

So Harnser you've just admitted that your views on Hatstands must make you a gun snob :oops:

on that note though I use my browning auto happily in the knowledge it won't jam every other cartridge and occasionally blow the odd barrel up and try and maim me.

My first gun that I did any good with cost me £160 and it was a Winchester 1400 semi with forend held on with cable straps - (mid 80's)- following guns have got progressivly more expensive and my last one has just cost me around £800 - so I don't think I am a gun snob -- I would like a Purdy but it would probably get scratched and dinged as to me a gun is a tool to do a job. :good:

dave