Are you a gun snob ?

Harnser

it doesn't make me a gun snob as I would just as well shoot a Baikal as I would a Browning .

Harnser .

I don;t get it - you mention 2 guns of a similar social standing... :yp: :yp: :lol:

In all seriousness - no, I have owned Hatstands, Baikal's (first shotgun I ever fired i think) Beretta's, Lincoln's, Rizzini, winchester's weatherby's, sauer's, cz's....

It hasn't made any vast difference, My current Beretta is easily the prettiest and nicest to carry but if i could buy back the Rizzini I had I would in a heart beat as it was a 27" short barrel with a palm swell stock and it just "felt" right - and i shot far better with it...

I will say the rifle's may be nicer to use such as bolt slide and trigger but the accuracy is six of one half a dozen the other... :good:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no... there are 2 sides to every coin... in the case of shooting its the doing side, which I enjoy very much, and then there's the owning side from which I get just as much pleasure!

With regards to Rifles, I used to love going out shooting with my T3, the rifle itself was a tool and didn't really get a second thought... with my Blaser though... whole different ball game, I love handling her, cleaning her and generaly just 'having' her just as much as I enjoy getting out stalking with her!

Yes and no... there are 2 sides to every coin... in the case of shooting its the doing side, which I enjoy very much, and then there's the owning side from which I get just as much pleasure!

With regards to Rifles, I used to love going out shooting with my T3, the rifle itself was a tool and didn't really get a second thought... with my Blaser though... whole different ball game, I love handling her, cleaning her and generaly just 'having' her just as much as I enjoy getting out stalking with her!

Do you sleep with her as well Viper ? She would be a bit skinny in bed .

Harnser .

Its forums like this that we can get an idea about all types of guns before we make a decision on what we want to buy .We can read other members views on certain guns and make a decision on what gun we should be buying .This information is proberbly more useful to the novice shooter than it is to the more experienced gun . You dont need an expensive gun to shoot well . There is one inexpensive gun that I wouldnt buy simply because of the negative feed back from this forum . Proberbly saved me a few bob and endless hours of down time .

Harnser .

When I first started with a shotgun I spent a couple grand on a Browning, did reasonable ok on clays (about 75-80% on a good day), but couldn't seem to improve on it. One day someone handed my a winchester 1200 pump, dented receiver, bent rib that had at least two coats of hammerite on it and only one choke. Took everything out on the next two stands........ gave him 70 quid for it and sold the Browning!

No point being a gun snob if you can't hit anything with it :lol:

Do you sleep with her as well Viper ? She would be a bit skinny in bed .

Harnser .

Well... it's funny you should say that!... Problem is the sheets can get a bit messy!!!

Gun oil you pervy lot :rolleyes:

I dunno.

I have a

Lanber Delux 12g M/C 3''

Beretta Ultralight Claassic M/C

Akkar Altay Maxi Mag 3.5''

CZ 425 .22LR

CZ 452 .17HMR

Tikka T3 6.5x55

I would say that i dont mind paying for quality, but i do mind paying for a name.

I would certainly buy another Tikka, CZ and Beretta without a moments thought as they are solid, dependable, well proven and robust.

I would say am not a gun a gun snob, all i ask for is for a gun to work reliably and and fit me comfortably !

This is why my shotguns are: Benelli M2 SA and a Mossburg 500 pump ! My Rimmie is a CZ. nothing extravigant, the Benelli is most expensive at £900 new. Granted i would love a second semi auto a SXS and FAC air but funds dont allow, so bit at a time i save my "Pocket Money" and birthday money and slowley add bits but i couldnt stomach spening big money if i had it on something that may get damaged, it would just be an expensive ornament ! :good:

I suppose it all depends on what you consider expensive. Cheap guns under 20k all shoot the same anyway.

I can't see a gun snob admitting to owning anything that cost less than that, can you?

i was thinking along similar lines to this, i own a really pretty silpig s, not the most expensive gun on the market, but still considered by some to be upmarket, now if it was a EELL then maybe i'd admit to it :lol: but perhaps i just like nice things, affording them is another matter.

:lol: ive embarrassed many people like that at the clay ground with just a £60 sbs shotgun before. Always makes me laugh.

I seriously doubt that. :rolleyes:

They probably wouldn't give a flying **** :lol:

If I had a quid for every one of these schoolboy stories on here, I could retire. The product of a vivid imagination. :P

Am i a gun snob,yes and no, at the moment i have a browning maxus hunter,a miruko mk70,and a remington express pump,i bought the browning and the pump new,the mk70 was as new,but to be fair i shoot better with the pump then the other two,used it on clays and the odd pigeon day,had loads of fun with it.Its what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with :good:

Am i a gun snob,yes and no, at the moment i have a browning maxus hunter,a miruko mk70,and a remington express pump,i bought the browning and the pump new,the mk70 was as new,but to be fair i shoot better with the pump then the other two,used it on clays and the odd pigeon day,had loads of fun with it.Its what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with :good:

I have been reading this and other forums to gather information to help me choose my first shotgun and it seems to me that a Remington 870 express would be a very good choice and they make one for left handers too.

Ahhh the inverted snob stance, if it doesn’t matter that you shoot good with a £80 Baikal then it doesn’t matter if you shoot bad with a £10000 Krieghoff.

It wouldn’t embarrass me if you beat me with a £60 SBS as long as I shot to my ability, I would still go home and love owning my DT 10 and not wanting your gun.

I like what I like, not bothered what others think, but I like to own nice things and I think my DT10 is nice. This last few weeks I have been enjoying shooting my considerably cheaper Semi Auto which I also think is nice otherwise I would not have bought them both.

I had a £50 BSA, that was not nice, I still had fun with it but no longer own it.

I am not a snob concerning other peoples guns or feel the more money spent means the better I will shoot, but I reserve the right to shoot bad with an expensive gun if I so wish. <_<

:good:

I don't know about a gun snob, but I have a gun habit. From a young age i've used knackered old baikel's, Belgium gun's, spanish stuff, some of which was held together with binder twine. I had a Webley and scot 4:10 for years which was a Rolls Royce compared with some. I think i have also shot/owned every model AYA have ever made, or somewhere near. I love trying different gear. When I was younger I had up to 14 different shotguns all bores as well. Now in my 50's i'm down to four guns which serve me well. They are prettier I suppose and they please me. No one I shoot with gives a toss. I hope to get through another 100 or so before I keel over and that's the truth of it. I'm just intrigued using different guns, always will be. :D

My interpretation of "gun snob" is a guy that decides he wants to try that "shooting malarkey" walks into a gun shop an buys the most expensive thing he can to keep up with Tarquin and Alfie - no idea what he is buying or why...

I went through 3 of the same type before I settled on my last shotgun and to this day I think it has a stunning piece of wood, it was also bought because I liked the lightweight package for walked up/rough shooting but just didn't get along with my 20 gauge...

I have seen a set of purdeys with top lever and hammers that cost the owner £148k but they really are horrible looking things in my opinion, on the other hand I was in purdeys in London and was handed a gun from the cabinet and it was pure craftsmanship....and to this day I have no idea what the price tag on it was.

I also had a look at some of the EELL's in the beretta gallery at 108k and really struggled to tell them apart from some of the 2-4k sp's... Beauty is most definatley in the eye of the beholder - most people with a brain can appreciate the rugge durability of a baikal when you pick one up - a gun snob wouldn't dare even shoulder one, nevermind buy one, and that's thier loss as they are an engineering marvel in the same way wwII Russian tanks were - built to take abuse!

Regards,

Gixer

My interpretation of "gun snob" is a guy that decides he wants to try that "shooting malarkey" walks into a gun shop an buys the most expensive thing he can to keep up with Tarquin and Alfie - no idea what he is buying or why...

I wouldn’t say that’s a gun snob, if he/she is an investment banker with loads of disposable income it’s only the same as someone who stacks shelves spending a few hundred pounds on a gun, it’s all relative to their income.

A snob in my eyes is someone who passes judgment on someone’s gun without good reason and it works both ways.

If someone buys a Purdey and looks down on your AYA he is a snob as much as if some who can shoot but looks down on Mr investment banker because he has a Purdey and cannot hit anything.

If you think a gun is cheap and unreliable or an extremely over priced piece of **** that’s not a snob either, that’s just an opinion on the gun.

But if you laugh at someone because they turn up with a cheap gun or expensive one and cannot shoot well, then that is a snob because you are linking the gun to the person.

Edited by timps