Guns on trains

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do it.

I would not want to though.

My concern would be someone stealing it, if I absolutely had to do it I'd break it up and keep it in a luggage bag, not a slip. Rifle stocks can be unscrewed, and with the mod removed it could be quite compact. I'd keep the bolt, for-end (though perhaps not for an O/U as they are a bit fragile) and rifle ammunition in my pocket at all times.

At least that way you have done everything possible, and if stolen the gun(s) are useless.

But really, ask yourself what is important enough to risk carrying a gun in a public place?

Well, only read the first page of replies here and, true to form for me, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with all of them! There really are way too many spiness, cowering individuals on here. What is being said, essentially, is that if you canot afford personal transport you cannot shoot.

Trains are public transport and are, in large part, subsidised by the tax payer. There is no way that I am aware of that your can act illegally bvy taking a firearm on a train or any other form of public transport simply by taking a firearm on it. I've done it before and certainly wouldn't have done if I thought it were illegal. The subtle hint here is the word 'public'. Shoters are members of the public and so have every right to use it.

J.

I do it all the time - Gun broken, in a sports bag. No problems at all.

Exactly. The voice of reason.

J.

Trains are public transport and are, in large part, subsidised by the tax payer. There is no way that I am aware of that your can act illegally bvy taking a firearm on a train or any other form of public transport simply by taking a firearm on it. I've done it before and certainly wouldn't have done if I thought it were illegal. The subtle hint here is the word 'public'. Shoters are members of the public and so have every right to use it.

Public transport they may be but it's all owned/leased by/from private companies.Read page 25 of the national conditions of carriage.

But as always my advice on this is be discrete

I am with Jonathan on this one! Load of utter tosh - guns are perfectly legal on a train. There is the matter of the discretion of the operating company, but you are not issued with the conditions of carriage when you board the train, so it is not reasonable to expect you to comply with them since you have had no opportunity to see them!

In terms of safety - reasonable precautions. For me that is locking gun case and trigger lock, possibly bolt in pocket with you at all times in teh case of a rifle. But as for not doing it, and all talk of 'it's daft' WHY?!

When I was 15 I took my CZ in to school on the train for afternoon shooting - no issues at all!

I wouldn't really take a member of the BTP's stance on the law being correct....

good point :lol:

really?

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/news/511383/Firearms_could_be_banned_from_transportation_on_trains.html

One train company spokesman said, as far as he was aware: “There was nothing in law which prevents legitimate owners of firearms carrying their firearms in a suitable manner.”

Proves that they don't know the law and if you ask they will default to "No" as they won't have a clue.

As long as it is unloaded, secure and discrete they won't have a clue

There isnt a law that say you cant travel with a gun, but certain TOCs have their own conditions of carriage.

Well, only read the first page of replies here and, true to form for me, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with all of them! There really are way too many spiness, cowering individuals on here. What is being said, essentially, is that if you canot afford personal transport you cannot shoot.

J.

Exactly. The voice of reason.

J.

Im not spineless. Its called "being a grown up!" Also, just because its know as public transport, does not mean its owned by the public. The British railway is owned by private companys. They are not subsidised in large by the tax payer, its a small perccentage. Do i really need to go on about how boring my job is? :rolleyes:

I am with Jonathan on this one! Load of utter tosh - guns are perfectly legal on a train. There is the matter of the discretion of the operating company, but you are not issued with the conditions of carriage when you board the train, so it is not reasonable to expect you to comply with them since you have had no opportunity to see them!

In terms of safety - reasonable precautions. For me that is locking gun case and trigger lock, possibly bolt in pocket with you at all times in teh case of a rifle. But as for not doing it, and all talk of 'it's daft' WHY?!

When I was 15 I took my CZ in to school on the train for afternoon shooting - no issues at all!

things were different before the war :lol:

Public transport they may be but it's all owned/leased by/from private companies.Read page 25 of the national conditions of carriage.

But as always my advice on this is be discrete

beat me to it.

You agree to the conditions of carriage when you buy a ticket. By your puchase, you are agreeing to abide by the conditions of carriage. Please ask at ANY station, and they all have copies of the constions for that company. Its all to do with standards complience. Yawn Yawn Yawn. Nothing to see. Move along the train please.

So if you don't by a ticket, you don't agree to the TOC?

Interesting.......

Can a private company enforce its own terms for any reason? Isn't there an unfair contract terms law?

I would suggest we write to all of the TOC which have this exclusion and voice our concerns, letters to MP

Interesting.......

Can a private company enforce its own terms for any reason? Isn't there an unfair contract terms law?

I would suggest we write to all of the TOC which have this exclusion and voice our concerns, letters to MP

National Rail Conditions of Carriage

Your rights and responsibilities when travelling on the National Rail network.

When you buy a ticket to travel on the railway network you enter into an agreement with the Train Companies. That agreement gives you the right to make the journey, or journeys, between the stations or within the zones shown on the ticket you have bought. These National Rail Conditions of Carriage are also part of that agreement and they apply to all domestic (non-international) journeys by scheduled passenger train services of the Train Companies on the railway network of Great Britain.

These National Rail Conditions of Carriage set out your rights and any restrictions of those rights. The Train Companies may give you more extensive rights than those set out here; they may not give you less unless.

Some of us have no choice. I am medically now unable to drive, so if I wish to continue my hobby, I am totally reliant on lifts and public transport. My local bus provider has no problem with my carrying guns on the bus, but they do ask that if possible, I be discreet about it. I always carry my shotgun#(s) in a Napier II takedown slip, which has a steel staple through the trigger guard, locked by a steel cable, and to be honest, it looks more like a squash racket bag. This is usually in a sports holdall with my glasses, ear defenders/ shooting vest etc, and I have not been challenged once. Obviously I wouldn't try this on the last bus full of drunks or at peak times with all the Hoolies on board, but otherwise no problems. My FEO dept has no problems with this, even with FAC guns. Discretion and common sense is key (Oh, and living in the rural ####-end of nowhere helps!) :good:

I work in the city in Lloyd's - Back 20/30 years ago, the old Lloyd's had a target range in the basement - There would be suits walking in and out all day with guns slung over their shoulders in what were very obviously gun slips that they had brought in with them on the morning commute. One noteable underwriter of yore also had a pistol in a shoulder holster that he put on in the morning and wore all day if he was shooting that evening!!

Rose tinted lenses off, that was then and this is now - Ignore all the lock and key airport security nonsense - You may as well have a neon sign saying "mug me i've got a shooter" - Keep it simple, subtle and don't be or act like a tool

Interesting.......

thats right. buying a ticket also makes sure you are insured if something was to happen.

I work in the city in Lloyd's - Back 20/30 years ago, the old Lloyd's had a target range in the basement - There would be suits walking in and out all day with guns slung over their shoulders in what were very obviously gun slips that they had brought in with them on the morning commute. One noteable underwriter of yore also had a pistol in a shoulder holster that he put on in the morning and wore all day if he was shooting that evening!!

Shell also had an enviable rifle range under their building in times gone by...