.17 hmr which one to go for?

walt1980

FAC should be with me any day now.

Will be shooting rabbits and been recommended and ok'd for an hmr just looking at what to get now? Looking at spending £600 on gun n mod, already got a scope (6-24x50), looked at CZ American. Cant use a thumbhole stock as another person might be using it and theyre left handed and im right handed! Any suggestions would be great!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends on the amount of work the owner has put in. A trigger kit is usually vital unless you're lucky and a bit of polishing of the bolt etc makes them a little smoother.

If I was buying one it would be the CZ every time. To be more precise the 16" American (not the varmint). There's no need for a heavy barrel, it's just harder to carry!

Me i should go for the CZ in its short barreled varmint format, that what my HMR was also your putting a fair chunky scope on it and it will look a bit daft on a little spindly sporter IMO :lol: . they are little guns and not very heavy at all. I make no secret that i dislike mindlessly fitting or altering triggers on these guns, they need use thats all and i am on my third and aint ever fiddled with one- they all shot great and got better and better with age. my .22 is in this format also and although i have modified the grip and fitted an adjustable Butt pad i can shoot pretty darn well one handed with it to demonstate the balance and weight thing - no way could i do that with the average c/fire with a varmint barrel. Heat up will not be an issue but short stiff barrels do have an advantage (although small) on accuraccy IMO

SAK do spit a bit from the rear at times but are quite adequate, you certainly wont notice it being any quieter with a better put together moddy.

i started out with a cz but sold it to get an annie because i wanted a two stage trigger and the annie felt better,build quality etc,but get what suits you,what feels right for you and what your happy with.At the end of the day they all shoot pretty much the same all that differs is the shooter,whatever you get enjoy it

atb dave

That depends on the amount of work the owner has put in. A trigger kit is usually vital unless you're lucky and a bit of polishing of the bolt etc makes them a little smoother.

If I was buying one it would be the CZ every time. To be more precise the 16" American (not the varmint). There's no need for a heavy barrel, it's just harder to carry!

I have this very model with a SAK mod and digisight. crackin gun atb don

For the money I would look at a Sako Quad with Sak mod

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Sako_Rifle_Quad-Synthetic_For-Sale_120323113857001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Sako_Rifle_Quad-Hunter-wood_For-Sale_070304142321522 (comes with 2 10 shot mags and for an extra £25 you get the mod) cracking deal this one

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

I had this problem a couple of months back. Because I wanted to be different I didn't want a cz. Anyway my mate talk me out of buying an anshutz in the shop and said try the cz. What can I say I bought the cz and have never looked back it's a great gun. I'm glad I didn't spend the excess money on the Annie now. So go cz !!!