Beer, general purpose, for the drinking of

Blunderbuss

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what you are after.

If you want a good balance of malt and hops, the Fullers range is hard to beat. Bengal Lancer is very strong, very well flavoured and VERY hoppy. ESB is complex, but strong. London Pride is a lovely session beer, as is Chiswick Bitter.

For something a little different, try Ringwood Ales Ringwood Best or Fortyniner. They have an unusual yeast strain which gives their excellent beers a butterscotch note.

Everards Ales are very good and worth a try (Tiger particularly), as are Hop Back (Summer Lightning, Entire Stout - nicer than that generic black boredom juice from Dublin), Hook Norton (all of them) and Bath Ales. The latter produce "Gem", which is a gorgeous beer.

Dont overlook lager. Much poop is talked about this style, mainly due to the raping it has been given by butchers like Carlsberg, Carling, anything owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev, Coors, Miller, Harp etc etc. Ignore that stuff, it is complete cack.

Instead, go for real lagers like Czech Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar, or German brews like Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker Pschorr, Lowenbrau and so on. Look for styles such as Munich Helles, Munich Dunkel, Urtyp, Marzen and Oktoberfest (be careful with the latter though, they pack a punch). Try these wonderful beers and you'll never want to drink piddly bulk produced UK "lager" again (much of which is not really lager as it has been pasteurised and filtered for fast distribution rather than "lagered", or cold stored).

Also dont forget weissbier, dunkelweizen, bockbier, roggenbier, etc etc etc.

Mine are Sharps Doom Bar, St Austell Tribute, Badger Champion and Banks' Mild.

The banks' is because half my family are from wolverhampton so get a very good pint up there, also its dirt cheap in the local sainsburys etc so i fill the car boot up before i come home :good:

Edited by ferguson_tom

Despite my OP, I will occasionally drink a cold pilsner, if a. I'm eating curry or b. it's scorchio :yes:

has to be Czech or German though. Budvar is good also "Wobbly" (Warsteiner), Bitburger, or Koenig pilnser :good:

It all depends on what you are after.

If you want a good balance of malt and hops, the Fullers range is hard to beat. Bengal Lancer is very strong, very well flavoured and VERY hoppy. ESB is complex, but strong. London Pride is a lovely session beer, as is Chiswick Bitter.

For something a little different, try Ringwood Ales Ringwood Best or Fortyniner. They have an unusual yeast strain which gives their excellent beers a butterscotch note.

Everards Ales are very good and worth a try (Tiger particularly), as are Hop Back (Summer Lightning, Entire Stout - nicer than that generic black boredom juice from Dublin), Hook Norton (all of them) and Bath Ales. The latter produce "Gem", which is a gorgeous beer.

Dont overlook lager. Much poop is talked about this style, mainly due to the raping it has been given by butchers like Carlsberg, Carling, anything owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev, Coors, Miller, Harp etc etc. Ignore that stuff, it is complete cack.

Instead, go for real lagers like Czech Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar, or German brews like Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker Pschorr, Lowenbrau and so on. Look for styles such as Munich Helles, Munich Dunkel, Urtyp, Marzen and Oktoberfest (be careful with the latter though, they pack a punch). Try these wonderful beers and you'll never want to drink piddly bulk produced UK "lager" again (much of which is not really lager as it has been pasteurised and filtered for fast distribution rather than "lagered", or cold stored).

Also dont forget weissbier, dunkelweizen, bockbier, roggenbier, etc etc etc.

Zapp as per my quoted post above, I'm not immune to the charms of a proper Czech or German pilsner. Anything called lager and made in UK though is pump :yes: Also love alt beers, wheat beers, trappist ales, porters and stout. Those who claim to like Guinness should try one of the hand crafted, non pasteurized stouts from a decent microbrewery, to see what stout can really taste like :yes:

Edited by Blunderbuss

I prefer my beers to most shop bought beers but here are some shop beers I like

Thornbridge Jaipur - Black IPA

Thornbridge Raven - IPA

Bellhaven Twisted Thistle - Pale fresh tasting beer (I make my own version of this which I prefer)

More mainstream beers are

White Shield

Bass

Dave is you ever get into Bristol go to 'Corks of Cotham' - one of the best sellers of unusual beers in Bristol. Also Clifton Cellars on The Mall in Clifton Village (NOT the Cribbs Causeway Mall, the proper Mall).

And you must know this living where you do but the offie in Nailsworth is very good for beer too (not Jeremy's old one, the other one).

Dave is you ever get into Bristol go to 'Corks of Cotham' - one of the best sellers of unusual beers in Bristol. Also Clifton Cellars on The Mall in Clifton Village (NOT the Cribbs Causeway Mall, the proper Mall).

And you must know this living where you do but the offie in Nailsworth is very good for beer too (not Jeremy's old one, the other one).

Cheers for the tips Duncan, I'll check those out. As for draught beer locally, we're spoiled! Tom Long and Budding from the Stroud Brewery and Old Spot and Pigs ear from Uley are all superb. The Village Inn in Nailsworth also has it's own micro brewery which does some decent brews.

Cheers for the tips Duncan, I'll check those out. As for draught beer locally, we're spoiled! Tom Long and Budding from the Stroud Brewery and Old Spot and Pigs ear from Uley are all superb. The Village Inn in Nailsworth also has it's own micro brewery which does some decent brews.

Best we try them soon then eh?

Fullers Discovery, Badgers Englands Glory (though havent seen it for a long time, Badgers Golden Glory (very easy to get carried away on that one), Sharpes Doom Bar, St. Austells Tribute, Any Harveys, Any Goachers, I could go on all night.

My regular tipple though is less than a quid for a fourpack and hits the spot everytime. I can't drink much during the week and these beauties tick all the boxes. Light, refreshing, relatively palatable (if cold enough)and available at all Tesco's. Economy Bitter, 2.1%. Its 79p for a four pack at the moment. Naturally if the gov.com bring in the minimium price per unit I shall be robbed of my budget pleasure.

Zapp as per my quoted post above, I'm not immune to the charms of a proper Czech or German pilsner. Anything called lager and made in UK though is pump :yes: Also love alt beers, wheat beers, trappist ales, porters and stout. Those who claim to like Guinness should try one of the hand crafted, non pasteurized stouts from a decent microbrewery, to see what stout can really taste like :yes:

Agreed. Wickwars Station porter...plus we dont get proper Guinness in this country the stuff we drink is a watered down version...got to go to Dublin for the real stuff...I cant unerstand the appeal of Newcastle Brown either personally....Its like Fizzy Pop equivilent to a Shandy down here :lol:

The fridge staple in the 'Highland' household is:

Cairngorm - Black Gold. Fantastic if you like a really tarry treacly porter. Not too strong either so it suits as a 'session' beer rather well.

Williams Bros. - Fraoch . Is a heather ale. Superb if you like a half and a half, really accompanies most whiskies very well.

Williams Bros - Midnight Sun . Another porter, this one has a bit more bang I think 6.9%?

Black Isle - Red Kite . Fantastic tipple, again a good session beer.

never really been a lager drinker. I have been to the Guinness factory in Dublin. Quite amazing to see, however it does emphasise the industrial nature of the production. I quite like the 'romance' of the smaller outfit. I mean 3 million pints are made.... daily! :o

[/b]

we dont get proper Guinness in this country the stuff we drink is a watered down version...got to go to Dublin for the real stuff

Always thought that that was a bit of nonesense ( no offence intended ). I have been to Dublin, had a pint in the brewery and it tasted no different to the ones have drank in the local. It is such a global product it has to taste the same everywhere. That to me is statement that people like to think is true. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm sure there will be a few people who would testify otherwise :yp:

Always thought that that was a bit of nonesense ( no offence intended ). I have been to Dublin, had a pint in the brewery and it tasted no different to the ones have drank in the local. It is such a global product it has to taste the same everywhere. That to me is statement that people like to think is true. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm sure there will be a few people who would testify otherwise :yp:

It is cobblers, I have drunk it here and there and there is no difference at all.

But when you don't have much of an export market for anything else you have to cling onto something right ;)