Beer, general purpose, for the drinking of

Blunderbuss

It definitely tastes better in places where it is fresher, and you can't get more fresh than the brewery. I've had a pint in the Guinness brewery and it was ace.

Go to some local pub in Swindon full of lager drinking gagis who only sells a pint of Guinness once in a blue moon and it's going to taste like ****.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also dont forget weissbier, dunkelweizen, bockbier, roggenbier, etc etc etc.

Franziskhaner's been my favourite drink for the last 20 odd years, though it's been difficult to get hold of with only a few speciality importers stocking it.

Imagine my joy when the local tesco started stocking it.

My mate in Munich used to get it delivered in crates of 12. When you took the money you got back for the bottles into account it only

cost Eur 0.60 per bottle!

Nial.

It definitely tastes better in places where it is fresher, and you can't get more fresh than the brewery. I've had a pint in the Guinness brewery and it was ace.

I'll stick with my rose tinted specs/cobblers theory, but you have a point it does vary.

I will also add into the mix the London Pride at a pub near where I work is better than that served at Fullers own pub in Chiswick :yes:

tend to drink more at home these days so rather lazily tend to buy whatever is on special offer at the local coop. However if i had to drink one more beer for the rest of my life it would be the Brains/Buckley IPA Smooth.

Cheers

Aled

I posted this on a beer forum and no one really gave a toss?

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19114

Probably around 40 years old at a guess and it tasted incredible, very similar to a Fullers Vintage from 2006 I had recently.

As I posted on the other forum hopefully not worth a fortune, I've drunk 3 now hahaha, it's what it's for after all :-)

I posted this on a beer forum and no one really gave a toss?

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19114

Probably around 40 years old at a guess and it tasted incredible, very similar to a Fullers Vintage from 2006 I had recently.

As I posted on the other forum hopefully not worth a fortune, I've drunk 3 now hahaha, it's what it's for after all :-)

I might be wrong but I can't imagine it's worth much. I think you should keep drinking it! :good:

Franziskhaner's been my favourite drink for the last 20 odd years, though it's been difficult to get hold of with only a few speciality importers stocking it.

Imagine my joy when the local tesco started stocking it.

My mate in Munich used to get it delivered in crates of 12. When you took the money you got back for the bottles into account it only

cost Eur 0.60 per bottle!

Nial.

Franziskaner is a gorgeous beer. Tons of bananaey esters :yes:

It's in my top 3 weissbiers along with Weihenstephan and Paulaner. The year before last my local Lidl got a load in and were doing it for £1 a bottle. Needless to say, a couple of cases left with me :yes:

newcastle brown, thats a fightin bottle :) I agree with the hobgoblin out of a tap but tastes like soap out of a bottle. Anyone tried tanglefoot? does exactly what it says on the bottle :)any of the badger/whychwoods float my boat, golden glory or circlemaster are nice and smooth/fruity. Why are they still making carling? its baby pee.

For the summer can I reccomend marstons old empire served nice and cold. As a general session ale ringwood best can't be beaten. Also if I had to go for a canned bitter I would go for stones but it is a bit of a last resort beer.

Edited by hendersons

Blimey 7 pages of replies and not a mention of SA Reverend James??? - seems to be the most sought after (just behind Butty Bach) at my brothers place. I'm a cider drinker ,though I'm not really sure why, but I always have a pint of whatever new real ale he has on I've come across some real good ones and of course some not to my taste. My favourites Rev James, Butty Bach, Sharpes Doom Bar, Rhymney Hobby Horse. I've not yet had it on draught but chilled bottles Broughton Greenmantle takes some beating on a hot day. With all this talk of beer I think tonight will be a real ale night instead of the usual thatchers gold :)

For the summer can I reccomend marstons old empire served nice and cold. As a general session ale ringwood best can't be beaten. Also if I had to go for a canned bitter I would go for stones but it is a bit of a last resort beer.

Nick, if you have to drink canned beer there are better options than that now. London Pride or Tribute out of cans is acceptable.

Edited by Blunderbuss

It is cobblers, I have drunk it here and there and there is no difference at all.

But when you don't have much of an export market for anything else you have to cling onto something right ;)

I beg to differ It doesnt keep easily and there isnt the through flow of volume in English pubs so its probabaly quite old relatively speaking when we get to drink it.

In Ireland where there are obviously a lot of Guiness drinkers and the turn over time is higher,the stout is definately fresher...

If you spend any length of time in Ireland and drink it regularly ( as I did) when you taste a pint at your local in England its a different taste.. :yes: