DO I NEED TO CARRY ORIGINAL SGC WHEN SHOOTING?

Hi All,

Whilst I have thus far taken my 'original' SGC out with me, it is beginning to look a little tatty despite being kept in a SGC wallet.

I have been told by friends that a photocopy of my shotgun certificate is acceptable and adequate if a Police officer were to request that I verify that I am a certificate holder. Does anybody know if there is any truth behind this statement?

I appreciate that I cannot purchase cartridges etc without producing the original.

Apologies if the answer to this query has been posted in the past, but I haven't been able to find the correct answer.

Many thanks

I just carry a photo copy, as orig one is already tatty, copied both parts as at least they can see the guns are listed. Though no doubt they would double check to make sure that the guns were legit.

The exception is of course when buying cartridges / guns.

Edited by BerettaSV10

As others have said, there is not legal requirement to carry your cert with you when you have a gun with you. In theory, a police officer can seize the gun if you don't have a cert but I doubt that would happen. All FAC/SGC holders are flagged on the police computer so as long as you have some form of ID proving who you are then I doubt they would take the gun off you.

J.

Your legitimacy is held on the PNC. If you get stopped, chances are you're going to get checked out.

Your 'FC' page on PNC shows all of your current and past SG and FAC certificates, numbers, reason for refusal/cancellation etc, so all you need to do is tell them who you are.

That said, there is no reason not to carry a photocopy of your license and permission letter - makes everybody's life easier :yes:

I feel that it's best to carry it. Yes they can radio in and confirm that you have one, but if you are unlucky enough to get one of these useless police that insist on taking the guns, you will then have them taken away, knocked about and put into a damp storage room at the police station, they won't be cleaned and by the time you've got there with your certificate the gun probably won't be worth picking up. It's unlikely, but carrying a certificate removes the risk.

A photocopy could help, though I understand that some of them don't photocopy well (they come out with FRAUD on them or something like that). Personally I think it's best to keep the certificate in the gun slip that way it's always available, but doesn't get damaged.

I feel that it's best to carry it. Yes they can radio in and confirm that you have one, but if you are unlucky enough to get one of these useless police that insist on taking the guns, you will then have them taken away, knocked about and put into a damp storage room at the police station, they won't be cleaned and by the time you've got there with your certificate the gun probably won't be worth picking up. It's unlikely, but carrying a certificate removes the risk.

A photocopy could help, though I understand that some of them don't photocopy well (they come out with FRAUD on them or something like that). Personally I think it's best to keep the certificate in the gun slip that way it's always available, but doesn't get damaged.

Yes mine does, Leicestershire issued, but my FAC doesn't, I can only imagine that its a cost saving exercise.

I have a photo of mine on my phone, it shows all that is needed to do a check up. Mind you i have never been stopped and asked for it so i am only guessing.

Now that's a good idea. You could even keep it in a protected folder if your phone will do that.

Edited by Thunderbird

but if you are unlucky enough to get one of these useless police that insist on taking the guns, you will then have them taken away, knocked about and put into a damp storage room at the police station, they won't be cleaned and by the time you've got there with your certificate

Surly they can't just cant take your gun of you. I would have thought they would need to call a firearms unit to do this and handle the guns. I would not be happy handing a gun and ammo over to a 20 year old gung ho copper thats never touched a gun in his life.

What if it goes off and he shoots himself in the foot, or something goes wrong. whos fault would that be! (not that you would hand it over loaded)

If you have a certificate, as indicated on PNC then that should be the end of it, and even if you get a bad copper, least the firearms guys seam more switched on, so when they arrive they should sort it all out.

Surly they can't just cant take your gun of you. I would have thought they would need to call a firearms unit to do this and handle the guns. I would not be happy handing a gun and ammo over to a 20 year old gung ho copper thats never touched a gun in his life.

What if it goes off and he shoots himself in the foot, or something goes wrong. whos fault would that be! (not that you would hand it over loaded)

If you have a certificate, as indicated on PNC then that should be the end of it, and even if you get a bad copper, least the firearms guys seam more switched on, so when they arrive they should sort it all out.

Sec.48(2) gives the officer that power. It may well be a case that police procedures and policies require a firearms trained officer to handle the guns but, legally speaking, there is no problem with it.

J.

It seems JonathanL has beaten me to it.

A police officer can handle/confiscate firearms as part of his job. They might decide that only their firearms officers can do it, but legally any police officer on duty can. Don't rely on the police firearms officers being more switched on, sadly it's not always the case. I know of one incident where 2 firearms officers didn't know if the guns they were using were rim-fire or centre-fire when called out to shoot 2 'dangerous' dogs!

It's unlikely for the police to confiscate your guns if pulled up for any reason, but if you get some young officer who knows nothing about firearms and takes them away, you could end up wishing you'd been able to show your certificate, point out that the serial numbers match and been able to go on your way.

I don't see the point in carrying it with you at all. With the computer records they can look at your details of SGC and FAC, as soon as they pump in your name and address. :yes:

I am pretty sure it also shows up when they check your vehicle reg.

Edited by Fisheruk

A police officer can only take your firearms if he believes a crime has or is going to be committed, you have legal right to demand under what circumstances and an explanation of what crimanl activity you have committed to warrant confiscation your guns.

A police officer cannot demand you hand over your guns just because he feels like or wants to prove a point.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

[/quote}

It may well be a case that police procedures and policies require a firearms trained officer to handle the guns

J.

I wouldn't trust a police man who's trained on pistols and G36's (Well, in Leicestershire) to be able to make an over and under or side by side safe.

To other police man; 'Where's the magazine release?' *flicks off safety*

Shooter; 'Oh God Oh God Oh God'

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I've made scanned copies, which doesn't show the 'FRAUD' watermark, as opposed to the photocopies that do.

It's got tatty due to the fact that my son bought me a leather certificate holder which was initially very stiff, and with the cert being taken out a few times to purchase our guns and cartridges, it became a bit tatty looking. Whilst it's a bit scruffy it's not as bad as a passport that I laundered once.....

Thanks again chaps.