Ratting setup

Shotgun jimmy

Hi folks,

Lately I have been tortured with rats living and feeding in my cattle house. They live under the portable cubicle beds and come out to feedand dart back in again. There is a plague of them and they wont eat poisin because there is too much other tasty foo to eat!

I have been nailing the odd one with my 36ftlb airwolf and mtc mamba scope. Problem is, they are between 5 and 15 yards and my scope is zerod for 40 yards which I do not want to change as its perfect for everything else. Because it has a 50mm obj lense it sits medium height above the barrel resulting in less than ideal for close up ratting as It leaves close range trajectory like an arch.

I want to buy a dedicated close range setup but I need advice!

I want a pcp not a break barrel. What scope should I buy? Would I be best with a laser fitted? It will also be used for lamping rats also.

Help appreciated.

Garry

I shoot a lot of Rats in pig sheds and my set up is a Hatsan AT44 10 shot PCP. :good:

Well for very close range you could use open sites. :yes:

For close range rats i use an Hatsan 1000x in .25 cal 25 grain pellets there devour-stating. :yes:

15 yds to 30 yds i use the Hatsan AT44 they come with 2x 10 shot mags and an air gauge. :good:

I use a 3x9x50 scope set on 3 or 4 mag and a moonlight night vision monocular fixed to the back of the scope and a infrared lamp this gives me vision out 150 yds and very bright at 20 yds. :good:

I have shot thousands of Rats with this set up the best bait i came across was 1/2 a cornish pasty done in the micro wave for 4 min.

Place it near the rat holes and the smell brings them out and you just pop them off. :yahoo:

Set up cost Hatsan AT44 new £260. Moonlight monocular S/H £70. Infrared lamp new £30. New scope £30.

The Hatsan AT 44 comes with 2x 10 shot mags an Air gauge and a very good Silencer as good as HW one almost silent. :yes:

I have also used my Logun pro 10 shot with a lamp and red filter but they soon get wise to the lamp the I R night vision they are clueless they don`t see it. :yahoo:

Happy. :shoot::shoot::shoot:

I shoot a lot of Rats in pig sheds and my set up is a Hatsan AT44 10 shot PCP. :good:

For close range rats i use an Hatsan 1000x in .25 cal 25 grain pellets there devour-stating. :yes:

15 yds to 30 yds i use the Hatsan AT44 they come with 2x 10 shot mags and an air gauge. :good:

I use a 3x9x50 scope set on 3 or 4 mag and a moonlight night vision monocular fixed to the back of the scope and a infrared lamp this gives me vision out 150 yds and very bright at 20 yds. :good:

I have shot thousands of Rats with this set up the best bait i came across was 1/2 a cornish pasty done in the micro wave for 4 min.

Place it near the rat holes and the smell brings them out and you just pop them off. :yahoo:

Set up cost Hatsan AT44 new £260. Moonlight monocular S/H £70. Infrared lamp new £30. New scope £30.

The Hatsan AT 44 comes with 2x 10 shot mags an Air gauge and a very good Silencer as good as HW one almost silent. :yes:

I have also used my Logun pro 10 shot with a lamp and red filter but they soon get wise to the lamp the I R night vision they are clueless they don`t see it. :yahoo:

I would do nearly anything for hunting but i draw the line at leaving half a cornish pasty for rats. Ive heard snickers bars work but ive never even seen a rat through my scope before. The good thing about snickers is they cant move them. I thought i had the best bait in the world bits of potato in peanut butter. The smell drew the little &*&*^*(& out but i had put it in a foil cake tin. DOH the little sod came out and must have picked it up and run for the hills because when i turned my lamp on only minutes after turning it off the bait was gone and i had a very sore bum with no compensation!

I would say what you need is a single shot bsa ultra or aa s200. That way the scope can be mounted lower meaning you have a longer point blank range (i think).

Shame your not trying the springer route i cant think of anything more satisfying than blating rats with springers.

I have had my bait taken before I put 1/2 a pasty down near the Rat holes and walked back the 20 yds to the car tuned round to see the pasty going down a rat hole little ********. :angry:

I have tried chocolate and peanut butter but not a lot of success. :no:

I shoot a lot from the car so i am hidden thats why i like a 10 shot PCP there`s very little movement and almost silent just a bolt action and your cocked and loaded. :good:

Trying to cock and load a springer in the pitch black in a car to much movement and noise. :no:

If i am in pig sheds i do use a .25 cal springer just for the fun of it. :D

Frankly any rifle will do at that range but .22 or .25 will be best. If you can, invest in a nv setup as you'll pick more of them off and more easily. Also rats will start to steer clear of where their mates are dying so I'd get traps and poison ready to really get on top of them.

Ok my ratting / feral set up carries a very low mounted scope with a 20mm objective and a 1.5 - 5 x magnification. The trick is close range focus and minimum barrel bore to scope centre. This prevents high shooting at peak trajectory or low shooting prior to zero. I know you say PCP but i should aviod that route as most are now made with high cheek pieces and mounting rails for use with 50mm objective scopes.

My own rig is a HW80 Lazerglide built by Steve Pope @ the old Venom arms company, extra low mounts, 1.5-5 x 20 Wtc scope (so short a focus is posible that on low mag i can clearly see the muzzle in the scope) it carries a modified std stock for the lower eye posision ( modifications are mainly in the grip or hand of the stock) and being a simple break barrel is way easier to feed in the confines of a barn etc than any of my fiddly multi shot mag fed jobbies or single shot PCPs and most importantly i never have to wonder how much air it has left.

my favourite bait for Rat stakeouts is finely mashed or liquidised fishy tinned cat food thinned with a little cooking oil. This holds them in one place that is safe to shoot and they cannot run in grab a lump and leg it without the chance of a clean shot. it should work over and above any other food in the area due to its strong smell and high nutrient content.

Have been looking on the net and an underlever springer looks appealing. As you say Kent, I will never have to worry how much air is left and because most shots will be taken inside 20 yards, it doesnt have to be as surgically accurate as a pcp.

Been out again this morning with the airwolf and I missed a few because of the loopy arch at close range!

Also its a bit too powerful as a pellet ricochet'd and landed at my feet. So a bit less power is required!!

I cannot believe someone would waste half a pasty!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ive with what appears to be nearly everyone as ive said pasties arent for rats. But if you have trouble loosing bait and you dont like pasties do you think some plastic explosive would work? Not sure if its legal but damn it would be effective.

I have just picked up a gunpower stealth for close range ratting and was considering topping it off with a red dot. I wanted something compact and 400+ shots per fill you can't go wrong. Got a few little mods I Want to do but happy so far with 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards standing shots.

f9ab5273.jpg

That looks like a very nice bit of kit. :drool:

I had a Stealth and i sold it but i wish i had kept it very accurate full power Rifles. :good:

I could never get on with red dot so i put night vision on mine for Ratting. :good:

The Rats don`t see infrared so you just pop them off i have shot thousands with N/V. :yahoo:

I found the Rats soon got lamp shy when lamping them with a red filter. :yes:

Frankly any rifle will do at that range but .22 or .25 will be best. If you can, invest in a nv setup as you'll pick more of them off and more easily. Also rats will start to steer clear of where their mates are dying so I'd get traps and poison ready to really get on top of them.

+1 :good:

Yes infrared lamp or torch mounted on top of the scope and the monocular mounted at the back of the scope. :good:

I did have to make a small bracket from the scope rail to support and attach the monocular. :good:

Any chance you could post some pics please mate :D

hay you ****** , whats wrong with a cornish pasty. laugh