Deer dispatch

I would love to watch somebody hold down a big red stag and try to slit its throat with a pen knife .If any body attempts this please make sure you film it . To try and bash it with a blunt instrument would also be worth watching ,just make sure that the air ambulance is standing by .

I have dispatched a number of deer over the years and it has always been with a shot gun ,any calibre will do even a 410 . If you have no experience in humanely dispatching injured deer then do not get involved . Phone the police and let them deal with it . They will normally call somebody out who knows how to deal with it .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Shotgun fine, rifle would need a suitable condition.

In reality it would never be in the public interest for the CPS to raise a prosecution. You could easily defend yourself using the AWA 2006.

Thats the thing as for some reason on my FAC i now have humane dispatch even though i have only got a 22lr and 17hmr and personally i dont think i have the experiance to deal with something like a deer with a rifle. Shotgun i would be more happy with

I would love to watch somebody hold down a big red stag and try to slit its throat with a pen knife .If any body attempts this please make sure you film it . To try and bash it with a blunt instrument would also be worth watching ,just make sure that the air ambulance is standing by .

I have dispatched a number of deer over the years and it has always been with a shot gun ,any calibre will do even a 410 . If you have no experience in humanely dispatching injured deer then do not get involved . Phone the police and let them deal with it . They will normally call somebody out who knows how to deal with it .

Harnser .

I'll rephrase...Roe doe is obviously going to be manageable with a reasonable knife. No one in their right mind is going to go near a stag with large antlers that could thrash you :lol:

Forget you have to state the obvious sometimes :lol:

Thats the thing as for some reason on my FAC i now have humane dispatch even though i have only got a 22lr and 17hmr and personally i dont think i have the experiance to deal with something like a deer with a rifle. Shotgun i would be more happy with

I suspect what you are refering to is your expanding ammo condition, the standard one everybody has, rather than the conditions relating to what you may use your rifles for.

I came across a deer badly hit by a car .. the occupents of the car didn't even want to get out to help, no knife to hand and when a farmer stopped he didn't have a knife to hand either.

A quick look in the back of his landy and I held its head still with eyes covered and with one hit he drove a sharpended bolt straight into the brain with one hit from a lump hammer. Very humane.. 30-40 after the deer had been hit the vet turned up and tried to exmaine the deer depsite me mentioning it was 100% deceased and having 3" of bolt stuck out of its forhead.

How stupid is that, the lump hammer on its own could kill a Bull more than likely :lol:

nope..states about deer and humane dispatch

Thats the one I refer to. It is the standard wording for the condition we all have printed on our fac's and only applies to what expanding ammo may be used for provided your rifles ars so conditioned..

As I said in my previous post, you are I am sure, confusing the expanding ammo condition printed on your fac with the conditions for which you may use your rifles.

Thats the one I refer to. It is the standard wording for the condition we all have printed on our fac's and only applies to what expanding ammo may be used for provided your rifles ars so conditioned..

As I said in my previous post, you are I am sure, confusing the expanding ammo condition printed on your fac with the conditions for which you may use your rifles.

Yep check the condition usually the letter A followed by a number.This condtion number will be along side either your guns or ammo.A9 off the top of my head relates to expanding ammo and has that wording in it.

i am not saying that cutting a deer's throat with a knife is a good idea as a wild animal will thrash about making it difficult and dangerous,

but being a butcher and having worked in slaughter houses i can say that to kill an animal by just slitting its throat is a very humane way.

some religion's believe it is the way to do it and most in the know would agree its one of the most humane way's to do it so long as you use a very sharp knife to cut the throat as the animal will hardly feel a thing and it will just fall asleep and die,

as for hitting it with a blunt instrument if you dont hit the right spot and it take a few hits that may not look for any onlookers

just my opinion

colin

i am not saying that cutting a deer's throat with a knife is a good idea as a wild animal will thrash about making it difficult and dangerous,

but being a butcher and having worked in slaughter houses i can say that to kill an animal by just slitting its throat is a very humane way.

some religion's believe it is the way to do it and most in the know would agree its one of the most humane way's to do it so long as you use a very sharp knife to cut the throat as the animal will hardly feel a thing and it will just fall asleep and die,

as for hitting it with a blunt instrument if you dont hit the right spot and it take a few hits that may not look for any onlookers

just my opinion

colin

Christ... and you worked in a slaughterhouse!!!!!??? If that's what you think I suggest you seek out the youtube undercover vids of halal abatoir slaughter!... just go to sleep eh!!!!

Christ... and you worked in a slaughterhouse!!!!!??? If that's what you think I suggest you seek out the youtube undercover vids of halal abatoir slaughter!... just go to sleep eh!!!!

if its done properly yes not like some you see on youtube i have seen them too and its not nice but then again they would not show the ones done correctly.

colin

I could not sit back and ignore some of the coments regarding sticking knives in wounded Deer,and expect a stress free end to the Deer.

I would love to watch as someone has stated earlier, but then again! i really dont think i would, to see further suffering would not be my idea of having a laugh :no:

Cattle in slaughter houses are in no position to thrash about they are held in a crush, very different to a wild Deer, and injured.

I too have worked in a slaughter house, and have never seen cattle fall to sleep after having there throats cut, The cattle i suppose think its red dye they can see spurting out from there neck area ??? NOT there own blood :angry: . Yes i am fully aware of the reason why this method is carried out and 100% do NOT agree why we let it be done this way in the UK. We used "Captive bolt" only and little or no stress caused apart from getting caught in the crush.

If you dont know what you are doing then do not go into the situation like a Rambo minded idiot waving you Bowie thinking you will be doing a favor.

Leave to the Pro's

I could not sit back and ignore some of the coments regarding sticking knives in wounded Deer,and expect a stress free end to the Deer.

I would love to watch as someone has stated earlier, but then again! i really dont think i would, to see further suffering would not be my idea of having a laugh :no:

Cattle in slaughter houses are in no position to thrash about they are held in a crush, very different to a wild Deer, and injured.

I too have worked in a slaughter house, and have never seen cattle fall to sleep after having there throats cut, The cattle i suppose think its red dye they can see spurting out from there neck area ??? NOT there own blood :angry: . Yes i am fully aware of the reason why this method is carried out and 100% do NOT agree why we let it be done this way in the UK. We used "Captive bolt" only and little or no stress caused apart from getting caught in the crush.

If you dont know what you are doing then do not go into the situation like a Rambo minded idiot waving you Bowie thinking you will be doing a favor.

Leave to the Pro's

did someone mention cattle? no

colin

Correct. but there was a comparison mentioned regards the methid. There is a hell of a difference, one is in a controlled enviroment,with DRA,s in place and the head in a crush. And qualifications.

Compare that to the coparisons mentioned.

Not advisable for the novice

Correct. but there was a comparison mentioned regards the methid. There is a hell of a difference, one is in a controlled enviroment,with DRA,s in place and the head in a crush. And qualifications.

Compare that to the coparisons mentioned.

Not advisable for the novice

total agree with you mate the 1st line of my thread said that a wild animal would thrash about making it dangerous but i have seen lambs done in a controlled environment buy people who know how to do it and the animals did not seemed stress, and i was just saying that to bludgeon them at the side of a road with the chance of onlookers don't sound a good idea too if it was me that was in that situation i think i would leave it to the police and walk away our sport gets enough bad publicity as it is

colin

unless youve been shown how to dispatch a deer leave well alone your doing the deer or yourself any favours unless the deer is near dead already its not going to lay around and wait for you to line up with your knife/hammer ,call the police they will call a deer warden the time of day most deer are hit by cars morning or evening registered stalkers will be most likly out and about and can come and dispatch the animal cleanly

believe me dont hit them hard enough or dont get the knife right the beast will get a second life and kicking and screaming not nice situation to be in especialy if theres bystanders,,,,my 10pence worth :good:

Right, trying to kill any Deer with a knife to the jugular is a retarded idea, and shouldn't be attempted by anyone, for these simple reasons.

1.) A Deer won't just sit there a let you do it, it'll thrash it's head the moment your hands get close to it's face This is dangerous both because larger deer are very powerful, but even Muntjac and CWD have fangs. (I've known of dogs being killed investigating injured Muntjac).

2.) With the Thrashing it poses a fairly serious risk to you holding a knife, if your arm gets knocked the blade can go anywhere.

3.) It's messy, again, anyone saying it's a good idea as obviously never seen somethings throat slit and I can't see why it would be considered intelligent to do in public.

4.) It's unpleasant, I've had to do this once, I wouldn't do it again, it would of been much kinder to me and the deer to of just bashed it's brains out.

Keep something hefty in the car, and do it that way. If people can kill each other happily will blunt object any grown man should be able to managed a Deer. (Smaller than a Fallow Doe, anything larger and I'd SERIOUSLY recommend firearm only).

Further to what people have said, the Police also have contact numbers of local stalkers (etc) who can come out and deal with this sort of thing, They take the quickest option, so It's normally sorted very quickly.

Ask any Stalker worth his salt, and he'll show you the proper way of killing a deer with his knife, it's not the throat but the blade is inserted at an angle down the connection between the back of the head and the neck, This is quicker, safer, and a lot less messy BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

But it is the BASC best practice way of doing it if you are not an expert on the subject of bringing about a deers demise! Personaly in the situation I would have went for the atlas joint or used a shotgun if the animal was stronger and more mobile.

Dave

But it is the BASC best practice way of doing it if you are not an expert on the subject of bringing about a deers demise! Personaly in the situation I would have went for the atlas joint or used a shotgun if the animal was stronger and more mobile.

Dave

Dave... Have you ever tried severing the atlas joint of a largish deer with a knife... dead or alive? (not a trick question by the way!)

It sounds easy but trust me even on a carcass it can be a bloody struggle and requires practice I've now obtained a .38 revolver on my ticket just for this end.

It sounds easy but trust me even on a carcass it can be a bloody struggle and requires practice I've now obtained a .38 revolver on my ticket just for this end.

I thort it was suposed to be 45 cal for humain dispatch or is that just for horses ?

Dave... Have you ever tried severing the atlas joint of a largish deer with a knife... dead or alive? (not a trick question by the way!)

No, done it with roe a number of times though, it is all about reading the situation on the ground and conducting a mental risk assesment of what lies before you.

Dave