My next shotgun to buy?

Will Poon

Hi all I've got my main shotgun that I use for the club it's a browning 725 sporter , but now I've got the itch to buy another one its going to be either a pump action or semi auto, they seem to frown on pump action ones at some clubs :unsure: but I wouldn't mind both :) so any suggestions ;)

Hi all I've got my main shotgun that I use for the club it's a browning 725 sporter , but now I've got the itch to buy another one its going to be either a pump action or semi auto, they seem to frown on pump action ones at some clubs :unsure: but I wouldn't mind both :) so any suggestions ;)

I’ve had my grade 3 325 for 20 plus years….It does all I need to do and fits like a glove….When I miss it is my fault not because I have a different gun with a different balance and action in my shoulder….!

TEH

I tested several guns on my search for a pump action, these included; Winchester SXP, Mossberg 500, Hatsan Pump, an old savage, a remmington (can't remember the model), but the one I liked best and bought was the Benelli Supernova. It felt solid but it was lightweight, there was little recoil in comparison to the others due to the Comfortech stock. It had a little foreend rattle which was easy enough to sort (tighten and grease slide bars/rails), it was really easy to strip and clean!! Best of all, it has a 5 year warranty!

It depends what you want to use it for, my s'nova is purely for fowling. 3 1/2' chamber and max4 camo, I wouldn't be without it on the marsh! It was the most expensive of the guns I tried, but worth the extra IMO :good:

Good look with the search and let us know what you decide.

Edited by Wildfowler12

If I was you i'd not start buying more guns,it's a confusing expensive mistake,I consider myself new to shooting (3 yrs) and have been down that road,I've bought several guns and lost money selling them all.

But they are nice to own and it's choice,but I doubt it will improve your shooting.And no matter what you shoot when you are down the club it's your scores that count.

If you can find a Remmie 870 pump.....Buy it!!. They`re becoming rare to find these days. I could have sold mine god knows how many times but will never sell it. Arguably the best Pump ever made!!!....As for a Semi....Choice is endless... I have 3 A Beretta 301,A Remmie 11-87,and a Winchester X3. I prefer the X3. :good:

Remington 870 ether the express or the wingmaster. The wingmaster, to my mind, is the better gun as the finish is better, however the express will work well. They can be had, secondhand, for reasonable money. Just don't get impatient and buy the first thing that come up. ATB Dickie.

I live on the wirral and have a remington 870 express i am selling i bought it new in 2010,if you are interested send me a pm.

get a spas12 you can have pump or semi auto then in one gun :good:

as has been said the less guns you own the better for your scores, but it really depends what you want out of it,

personally dont do too bad on the clays, but enjoy shooting a variety of guns at them.

your choice will depend a great deal on your budget for the gun as well.

Willpoon:

Pumps are certainly not "frowned upon" down here (Hampshire) except, on occassion, by the DTL crowd.

I've shot a number of pumps but my favourite is the Ithaca M37. I also shoot a reproduction Winchester 1887.

Before giving them away to family and friends as mementos, I've also shot my late father's M55 goose-gun (avec 36" barrel), Greener GP and Greener SxS hammer gun at a local shoot. The Sporting Clay shooters just *love* to see something a bit unusual being used. (One of my shootin' buddies uses his PSG gun - a SPAS 12 - when he feels the urge.)

No, using many different guns will do your scores no good but it sure is fun.

As I saw on an American gun forum:

"He who shoots to win often loses; he who shoots for fun *always* wins."

Regards,

Mark.

Willpoon:

Pumps are certainly not "frowned upon" down here (Hampshire) except, on occassion, by the DTL crowd.

I've shot a number of pumps but my favourite is the Ithaca M37. I also shoot a reproduction Winchester 1887.

Before giving them away to family and friends as mementos, I've also shot my late father's M55 goose-gun (avec 36" barrel), Greener GP and Greener SxS hammer gun at a local shoot. The Sporting Clay shooters just *love* to see something a bit unusual being used. (One of my shootin' buddies uses his PSG gun - a SPAS 12 - when he feels the urge.)

No, using many different guns will do your scores no good but it sure is fun.

As I saw on an American gun forum:

"He who shoots to win often loses; he who shoots for fun *always* wins."

Regards,

Mark.

I totally agree i shoot a remi express pump on clays and what puts a smirk on my face is the look of distain the doughters give after i break clays they concider too differcult for a mere mortal who uses a pump action,i just love it :good: