settle an argument

Years ago we shot my 308 across a valley to a target boured we set up next to an oak tree.

Pure guessing we thought it was about 1200yds. The load was a 155fmj on a good dollop of BL-C2.

I finally walked them into the boured with around two trees of hold in the six x scope, the tree was about 30'!

The rifle was a Parker Hale long Mauser american classic stock.

I have no odea of vel or how far out in guessing the range. What I do know is, it ain't 3'!

U :good:

The question is unanswerable as worded, the reasons are quoted above.

We would need to know original zero, bullet weight, barrel length/condition, atmospheric conditions etc, etc, but assuming a 100-200 yard zero the figures quoted in the original post are way short for any ammo!

:good:

The question is unanswerable as worded, the reasons are quoted above.

We would need to know original zero, bullet weight, barrel length/condition, atmospheric conditions etc, etc, but assuming a 100-200 yard zero the figures quoted in the original post are way short for any ammo!

:good:

With an average .308 MV using an average bullet weight and using the normal assumed zero of 100yards....... it's about 27 feet! Why complicate matters... he's only trying to settle an argument and that more than settles it!

Where did you get your BC of 0.446 from ?

Not knocking your figures, just wondered, as I have been told that they are more along the lines of 0.463 for the HPBT.

G.M.

deprends on the bullet mftr.. if it's sierra then the ave G1 bc is .427... G7 = .218

mmm. it quotes .450 on there for PPU which seems a little nearer.

G.M. :good:

Hi Graham,

the BC may change be different with velocity. According to Sierra web site the BC used in the calculations changes with velocity. For 155gr HPBT (#2155) its .450 @2600 fps, .443 @1800 - 2600 fps and .417 @ 1800fps or below.

Regards

Steven

155gr SMK powered by 46gr N140, out of a 26" barrel, gave this - posted on UKlongrange by me ....

Joined the FCSA as a guest at Lydd last month for their pilgrimage to S45 at Lydd. It is a hard target range with a lot of Fig12 and Fig 11 ETRs on it out to 1100m.

They have 2 or 3 Fig.11 ETRs on the left hand side of that range at 950 - 1050m. I think they are target numbers 21 -23.

Shooting my TPG-1 at the 850m Fig11 and not missing, I asked my oppo to spot my shots, as I was now going to try for the 1000m hit. 13 rounds later we saw a splash just in front on the target berm and worked in from there. 3 rounds later the Fig 11 fell over. Disbelief on my part.

The next round, Bang, it fell over again. £$%% me. Bang, down it went again. What a high. 'I'll stop there. Don't want to spoil that ... 3/3' . Leaves the range on such a high.

Result. Scope settings, 38Min elevation, 8 3/4 min windage.

38min elevation = 38 inches @ 100m

therefore 38 x 10 (as it was 1000m) = 380 inches

so 380 inches / 12 = 31.6 feet - over 9m - nearly 10m above point of aim.