viking long house reconstruction

aister

whilst i am sitting home off work fed up with a sore back i thought i would share some photos with you on what we have been doing at work this last while, i am saying last while but really this is our third summer on it. its a reconstruction of a viking long house or should i say an archaeologists interpretation of what a long house should look like. there are quite a number of them been excavated in unst, the most northerly of our isles. none of us have done anything like this before, 99.9% of the work has been done with chainsaws, it has been a steep learning curve for us all but has been very enjoyable (most of the time). hope you like the photos.

this is the first frame going up.

post-29954-0-59384000-1340987858.jpg

this is all the frames up with the purlins on, hard to see clearly for our scaffold

post-29954-0-83964000-1340987868.jpg

close up of purlins with a brace

post-29954-0-42591000-1340987880.jpg

heavy beams for support (dont think they are needed honestly)

post-29954-0-77978900-1340987887.jpg

Wonderful, what a beautiful building. So its walled with stone, I had the impression (wrongly) that they were all wood but it may be a local thing/variation.

Amazing to see it come to life. In Norway they have a collection of Viking houses in a village but I dont think they have a Hall.

Brilliant, certainly beats sitting in front of a computer all day. :(

Is using chainsaws not cheaping? I presume with the effort they'd have to put in to build one they'd

expect it to last a while. Does the soil and grass on the roof not rot the sarking?

You say it's the archeologists interpetation. As the person working with the wood is there

anything you'd have done differently?

Nial.

Wonderful, what a beautiful building. So its walled with stone, I had the impression (wrongly) that they were all wood but it may be a local thing/variation.

Amazing to see it come to life. In Norway they have a collection of Viking houses in a village but I dont think they have a Hall.

the ones excavated in unst all had stone walls.

Brilliant, certainly beats sitting in front of a computer all day. :(

Is using chainsaws not cheaping? I presume with the effort they'd have to put in to build one they'd

expect it to last a while. Does the soil and grass on the roof not rot the sarking?

You say it's the archeologists interpetation. As the person working with the wood is there

anything you'd have done differently?

Nial.

yes using a chainsaw is cheating, but think on it like this, this is our THIRD summer cheating :lol: :lol:

there was supposed to be birch bark inbetween the soil and the sarking, we are going to put some around the bottom where you can see it sticking out a bit, but further up the roof there will be a modern breathable building paper.

none of us thats working on it thinks it would have been done the way we are doing it. IMO i think that the vikings would have dragged their boats up, turned them over and built a wall under it around the gunnels. the long houses that they have excavated in unst and other places, all have big pad stones in a line up the middle (for posts holding up the keel) and the external wall is usually boat shaped (built up under the gunnels). there is so much wood in this building that we had to get sent up from the mainland because there is no trees in shetland and it was no different when the vikings were here. in turning their boats over and building up under them they would have had a home within a few days.

Sweet Jesus, that is an absolutely beautiful structure in settings that could not be more fitting. I'm blown away. I think you have the life that I was meant to get. Wanna swap?

Was it you that made the Viking boat a while back Aister, or am I getting confused?

Sweet Jesus, that is an absolutely beautiful structure in settings that could not be more fitting. I'm blown away. I think you have the life that I was meant to get. Wanna swap?

Was it you that made the Viking boat a while back Aister, or am I getting confused?

it was yes. here it is before the paint.

post-29954-0-49858200-1341006544.jpg

and here it is finished ready for the kids to play in. (personaly i think they ruined it by painting it)

post-29954-0-24851200-1341006607.jpg

and here it is finished ready for the kids to play in. (personaly i think they ruined it by painting it)

post-29954-0-24851200-1341006607.jpg

I thought so. Quite a craftsman. Good skills fella, mucho respect :good: :good: :good:

EDIT - totally ruined it, may as well have been hotched up from hard board :no:

Edited by ack-ack

Thats a fantastic bit of work. I've not been to Shetland but was again in Orkney last week, loads of ruined croft houses all seem to follow the same,"long house " design. Keep up the good work.

Blackpowder

I have always wondered who owns the ruined crofts, the previous occupants or a landlord.