Whats the point of working sometimes

leeds chimp

Yes, the simple solution to many of these issues is to pay more (raise the minimum wage), tax much less and put in place payment caps to avoid the insane corporate and public sector greed that is truly the problem in this country and others.

I have said it before, I'll say it again, it is an enormously effective distraction for policy makers to point the fingers at those at the bottom of the ladder whilst simultaneously dissuading us from any critique of those at the top.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrol is the killer for me. Over £100 a week when I secure a full weeks work, 50-80 hours when I can get it. keeping the thing on the road, maintenance, tax and insurance is abominable. That, a serious cut in wages and jobs being further away, I am looking at Tax Credits myself and it looks like I qualify.

Maybe then I can have a dog again, and a Holiday, drink more and take up smoking.

Yes, the simple solution to many of these issues is to pay more (raise the minimum wage), tax much less and put in place payment caps to avoid the insane corporate and public sector greed that is truly the problem in this country and others.

I have said it before, I'll say it again, it is an enormously effective distraction for policy makers to point the fingers at those at the bottom of the ladder whilst simultaneously dissuading us from any critique of those at the top.

So true that man, well said.....

I am retired, I have a works pension (small), state pension and my wife has a disability, I am her carer.

I have been to numerous interviews and filled in numerous forms.

We are informed that we are not entitled to any allowances at all as my savings and pensions are above the 'threshold'.

What threshold?

Why cannot I get anything at all?

I worked all my life and accrued a works pension and old age pension and I am still getting screwed for tax . Sorry not to much sympathy from me .

Harnser .

I'll echo that one Harnser, why should I pay for someone else to have kids.

World's overpopulated now - we don't need them.

I worked hard and saved hard for my retirement and now I'm getting screwed by the taxman to pay for all the troubles of the world.

I was made redundant six times and got on my bike found work and fought back.

Yes I had a good 'trade' but when out of normal work I heaved bricks, dug holes, and did anything that would earn a bob or two till I could get a 'proper' job again.

Then I read in the paper about the young woman who wouldn't stack shelves for two weeks because it was below her abilities!

My standard of living goes down every year.

I'm fresh out of sympathy!

I would not even get out of bed for £20k a year. I agree with the chap above about people whining over how much child/family/working tax credits they aren't entitled to. IMO they should stop the lot of them!!

i take it you have a sperm count issue and dont have kids which in turn will pay there tax and ni just like we have... :yp:

And as for grandalfs reply, some poor ****** payed there tax and ni for your mother to give birth to you, thats unless you where manufactured where someone would have worked for peanuts... :blush:

And as for grandalfs reply, some poor ****** payed there tax and ni for your mother to give birth to you, thats unless you where manufactured where someone would have worked for peanuts... :blush:

Sorry mate - I was manufactured right here in the UK but long before the welfare state started paying people to have families (or anything else). My Dad did work for peanuts though.

In those days...

You wanted a doctor - you paid.

You wanted medicine - you paid.

You wanted kids - you paid.

Be a bit before your time I think.

Edited by Grandalf

Sorry mate - I was manufactured right here in the UK but long before the welfare state started paying people to have families (or anything else). My Dad did work for peanuts though.

In those days...

now science has come along way, how do people pay for cancer treatment and alike, thats why we all have to pay our way cos all treatments no one could afford alone, unless your saying if you cant afford it then you dont get it?

And as for young familys, if they all stopped having kids now cos they cant afford to raise them then in 20years time there would be no british population as all young worker would be from abroard, more than what it is now. :yp:

i dont recieve any benefits at all as im lucky enough to have a good trade but i feel for people like leeds chimp.. :good:

wait till you have to pay 40% tax every month..

done that for years mate you get used to it, it does not bother me at all at least I am fortunate to be in a position to pay 40% month in month out :good: the one real gripe I have apart from the sneaky self employed who dont play the game (not all I know, there are a FEW good uns)is the fact that every time I fill my car I pay tax on the tax how can that be?

KW

Edited by kdubya

In those days...

now science has come along way, how do people pay for cancer treatment and alike, thats why we all have to pay our way cos all treatments no one could afford alone, unless your saying if you cant afford it then you dont get it?

And as for young familys, if they all stopped having kids now cos they cant afford to raise them then in 20years time there would be no british population as all young worker would be from abroard, more than what it is now. :yp:

i dont recieve any benefits at all as im lucky enough to have a good trade but i feel for people like leeds chimp.. :good:

Paying tax and NI are not what I have a problem with. I get annoyed at the 'woe is me I've got a cabinet full of guns but can't afford to feed the kids' brigade.

Im starting to think your ok :good:

KW

And I don't have a sperm count!

Really? I bet there's some in there somewhere?! :lol::P

Sorry, back on topic... I think people can expect too much. If you can afford a telly, mobile phone, car etc then perhaps a rethink of where your money is being spent is needed? We're all a bit soft these days, years ago if you didn't have enough money you went without or worked harder.

I'm not saying we should let kids starve but the amount of people I know on benefits with two cars, sky telly, a mobile phone each for the whole family etc... Well if you can afford that you can afford for your benefits to be reduced! :yes:

I am retired, I have a works pension (small), state pension and my wife has a disability, I am her carer.

I have been to numerous interviews and filled in numerous forms.

We are informed that we are not entitled to any allowances at all as my savings and pensions are above the 'threshold'.

What threshold?

Why cannot I get anything at all?

That's because you've been careful with your money. In reality you should have ****** it up against a wall, gone on a holiday every year until you have nothing left and then the state would give you money. :lol:

Edited to say not all benefit claimants do this but the state doesn't seem interested in finding out who has fallen on hard times and who has just gone on a spending spree....

Edited by Laird Lugton

I'm not saying we should let kids starve but the amount of people I know on benefits with two cars, sky telly, a mobile phone each for the whole family etc... Well if you can afford that you can afford for your benefits to be reduced! :yes:

Now we are starting to sing off the same sheet :good:

would you work for £3.20 a hour as Thats what SWMBO will be on now we have to pay the nursery fees for her to go to work? Thats what the working tax credits are for is to help a family on a low income "afford" to go to work

But she's not on £3.20 an hour. She's on £3.20 plus the cost of nursery fees. If you want full wage and the state paying the nursery fees in reality you are asking the taxpayer to foot the bill for the care, you're not asking the taxpayer to pay for the electricity you use so why the nursery fees?

done that for years mate you get used to it, it does not bother me at all at least I am fortunate to be in a position to pay 40% month in month out :good: the one real gripe I have apart from the sneaky self employed who dont play the game (not all I know, there are a FEW good uns)is the fact that every time I fill my car I pay tax on the tax how can that be?

KW

You mean the self employed dividend payers?! Yes that's as bad as loafing on benefits. It's stealing from the country almost Jimmy Carr style.

I would not even get out of bed for £20k a year. I agree with the chap above about people whining over how much child/family/working tax credits they aren't entitled to. IMO they should stop the lot of them!!

Lucky you then..some of us have to work for alot less a year but still go to work even though be better off sat at home living off the state... :good:

My main point is some people are lucky and are in good jobs so dont have to watch the pennies so to speak and have a high disposable income...

If you are saying stop the tax credits then would not be worth SWMBO going to work..those tax credits we got helped pay the nursery fees which kept other people in work therefore creating jobs and more money back to the govenment in the form of other taxs

I wish I could find/get a job that pays more but for the meantime we have to make do and get by...

The problem is it takes 4 working peoples tax and national insurance weekley payments to pay a family of 4 on full benifits, there for if 1,000,000 people are on full benifit it takes 4,000,000 full time employeed people without benifits to pay for them.

Its easy You want kids you pay for them, if you can not afford them dont have any.

I know people with £36000 coming in the house per year and they still get child tax credits.

When I lost my second leg I was offered £103 per week incapacity allowance rent paid poll tax paid £71 per week disability living allowance

A total of £260 per week what did I do?

I went back to work full time even with only one prostetic leg because yes you can just get by on it, but not have a nice living and do what you enjoy like clay shooting running a car etc.

People just dont want to work

I have vacancies for welders ,electricians ,fitters for over 9 weeks how meny applicants ------------------------- 4 all not qualified to do the job. We pay £16500 per year which is just over £8 per hour, overtime at time and a half they are just idle

Deershooter

P/s any one with the qualifications wants a job pm me

Edited by deershooter

But she's not on £3.20 an hour. She's on £3.20 plus the cost of nursery fees. If you want full wage and the state paying the nursery fees in reality you are asking the taxpayer to foot the bill for the care, you're not asking the taxpayer to pay for the electricity you use so why the nursery fees?

See above answer..

as means the differance between her going to work and not really