hollowpoint expansion

Retrieved these from soft sand.post-55706-0-83617100-1341769343.jpgThe three on the left are hollowpoints and the one on the right is a solid 40 grain bullet. Just shows the difference between them when impacting in soft media,the solid bullet hasn't really deformed at all, just scarred.Sorry about the picture quality.post-55706-0-98600200-1341770174.jpg

Thats interesting - now it would be worth trying to see exactly how much they deform when going through a rabbit.

You would need to have a box full of sawdust or other soft material and shoot a couple of HP into it to see they didn't deform then hang a fresh rabbit infront and them shoot a couple through.

I guess that most of the 90ftlbs available is spent killing the turf.

Thats interesting - now it would be worth trying to see exactly how much they deform when going through a rabbit.

You would need to have a box full of sawdust or other soft material and shoot a couple of HP into it to see they didn't deform then hang a fresh rabbit infront and them shoot a couple through.

I guess that most of the 90ftlbs available is spent killing the turf.

With a solid bullet, yes probably . Saying that, when was the last time you found a rimfire bullet in a rabbit, hollowpoint or otherwise?

With a solid bullet, yes probably . Saying that, when was the last time you found a rimfire bullet in a rabbit, hollowpoint or otherwise?

i have found two, one was laying on the grass about a foot away on the other side of a rabbit i had shot broad side at 30 odd yards and the other was sticking in the skin on the other side of a rabbit shot broad side, cant remember how far away that one was but it wasnt that far. both were winchester subsonic hollows. this is a pic of the one i found on the grass, i didnt keep the other one.

post-29954-0-68906800-1341782785.jpg

edit to say-good grief the pic aint good but you get the picture.

another edit to say, no pun intended :hmmm:

Edited by aister

Experience has shown me that Winchester and Magtech HP subs expand the most.

That isn't exactly earth shattering news as those two probably have the biggest HP around.

Still makes a lot of difference just what range the quarry is brought down and what you actually hit.

It is not uncommon for the HP on these to peel back like a mushroom, present more than twice its normal frontal surface area and do a LOT of damage, that's what they are meant to do!

:good:

i have found two, one was laying on the grass about a foot away on the other side of a rabbit i had shot broad side at 30 odd yards and the other was sticking in the skin on the other side of a rabbit shot broad side, cant remember how far away that one was but it wasnt that far. both were winchester subsonic hollows.

Intriguing....I have on a good few occasions shot two rabbits with one shot with Winchester sub 40g, & found them to go straight through both rabbits...albeit the second not killed out right, but all the same the bullet passed straight through.

The range was aprox 50yds.

I've found water to be the best test as it doesn't seem to erode the bullets like soil or sand.

Here's a picture of a couple that I had to hand. Left to right...

Winchester 40gr subsonic HP .22lr, 25 yards into water.

Speer 45gr SP .22 Hornet, 50 yards into water.

Sellier and Bellot 140gr SP 7x57, 100 yards through Roe Buck and into soft soil.

Bulletexpansion1.jpg

Edited by njc110381

I've found water to be the best test as it doesn't seem to erode the bullets like soil or sand.

Here's a picture of a couple that I had to hand. Left to right...

Winchester 40gr subsonic HP .22lr, 25 yards into water.

Speer 45gr SP .22 Hornet, 50 yards into water.

Sellier and Bellot 140gr SP 7x57, 100 yards through Roe Buck and into soft soil.

Bulletexpansion1.jpg

Just got a vision of someone sat in there bedroom window shooting down into the kids paddling pool :lol:

Any body else finding that with the winnie subs on rabbits,a close shot and its 50/50 if it runs and yet at any distance they blow em open like a .17hmr with major damage to the meat and shattering of bones etc :hmm:

No, I have shot them at about 5 yards to a <long way away> and they were just as dead as each other.

Any body else finding that with the winnie subs on rabbits,a close shot and its 50/50 if it runs and yet at any distance they blow em open like a .17hmr with major damage to the meat and shattering of bones etc :hmm:

where are you hitting them?

I shoot 50-60 a week mostly between 50-80yds, some stupid ones as close as 10yds.

All intended to be head shots, couple of flyers

no more damage at distance and they all drop quick enough even at 80 yds

I shoot 50-60 a week mostly between 50-80yds, some stupid ones as close as 10yds.

I am aiming for chest shots so it doesnt spoil the meat,close shots are 20 yrds and a long shot is 80yrds,when they are gutted there is so much damage.

The zero is fine and at 65yrds,i used to use eley subs and had very few runners,the winnies seem to be such a variable shot :hmm:

Am shooting hundreds of rabbits each year and dont miss much :D just noticing the difference the ammo has at ranges stated.

Out of curiosity are you saying ALL YEAR?

2500-3000 per year?