might lose my shooting rights

alan1986

I have it in writing for all the land i shoot over and one of my landowners is very paticular i have a bloke that has an open ticket and does a lot of foxing in the area over lots of farms he was not happy that i had been given permission and was quite rude to me. I spoke to the landowner as i did not want any trouble he had a word and i have been there 5 years now.

I am out at least 3 nights a week and also through the days, i never see him around and i get the call when there is a problem with foxes.

I think your have done the right thing by speaking to the farmer its his land and you want to help him you have been there for 5 months doing a good job and at know expense to him. I hope he has a word with the other bloke.

By the way he was possibly nice to your face because he sounds like a spinless two faced *** that through a dummy out of the cot.

Hope it all works out well for you

I am a newcomer to my permissions with other pigeon shooters having shot for some time.

To date I have been out once when I met the others who were shooting a different field. Speaking to the farmer and I was told I am now the main shooter since the others only appear when the peas and stubbles are about whereas I've been all year on the rape as well.

I also share this permission with V8 90 who mainly tackles the rabbit and fox populations with FAC. We get along fine and keep in regular contact. There's enough for us all to go at without falling out.

Shame others seem to think once permission is granted, its theirs and only theirs for ever more.

I seem to recall there was a thread around the other week where a shooter was complaining that a new shooter had got onto the land he was used to shooting on by sweet talking the local farmer, so it’s interesting to see someone objecting from the other point of view.

I would suggest that you clarify exactly what permissions you have.

It’s not clear from your post.

If the farmer told you to speak to the main shooter to sort things out then it’s possible that he’s abdicated all responsibility for the shooting and just wants his current bloke to decide whether or not he’s happy to share.

It’s also possible the farmer wants you both on the land as more pest clearance is a good thing for him.

Whether it’s either of those or something different, it’s worth getting it clarified.

And get it in writing if you can.

I get the impression that shooting is a small community.

Also, that there are more shooters than there is land.

If you get on the wrong side of an experienced and well-known local shooter it might cause you problems with getting other permissions.

It might be worth giving the long time shooter a call and seeing if you can discuss things so that you can continue to shoot without annoying him.

Rather than going head to head with him – where the farmer might just tell you to go away – perhaps ask if there’s any help you can offer him, or if there are any days or times where it’s more convenient for you to shoot to avoid getting in his way.

Then again, if he’s been shooting there for 30 years he might be a bit old man and can’t keep up with clearing the pests, but he’s in denial about it.

I think the last paragraph sums things up, use it or loose it guys and dont grumble if the landowner dont want vermin raiding his crop.

we also had the same ,where we shoot there were lots of shooters ,but they would only come at harvest or every now and then ,we shoot as many times as we can in all weathers ,the farmer thinks were mad ,but he knows we do the job for him ,hes kicked off one guy because he was doing it just to sell the pigeons and hardly turned up,then he let 2 young local lads turn up ,well after i filmed them driving across his fields with guns blazing out of both windows of there range rover ,and leaving coke cans and empty cases every where ,then we were decoying and they drove into are field blasting away and i zoomed in with my X35 zoom camcorder and seen them taking out pheasants ,i went over to them and said hang on were in here shooting we were standing talking and they were still trying to pop off pigeons next to us ,i then told him to put his gun away ,he then ask if i wanted any pheasants !! he had about 8 in the boot ,lol i had a chat to the farmer and we've never seen them again ,every time the farmer gets someone ask to shoot on his land he gives them are phone number lol

I had 2 cracking permissions that took 6 year to find. One at Hayden bridge on route to Hexham and one in Rothbury.

Lost the rothbury one when the game keeper went bankrupt after only 13 month.

Lost the Hayden Bridge one when they built the bypass.

I traveled along the A696 from Newcastle to Otterburn calling in at as many farms as I could see over a year or so with no luck.

A69 from Newcastle to carlisle again no luck. Thought I was gonna get permission up near Dudley as the preliminary meeting went well but not squeek from there either.

I have agreed to beat for a small private syndicate this year in a hope to get out again.

I have been hammering clays now trying to keep my eye in and now and then an offer of a day out comes up on here and may work out if I have a day off work.

You may NEVER find a permission but just keep looking non the less! Also keep an eye out and if you can take one of the days offered in the gaining permission section. I have managed 2 days on pigeons in nearly 18 month and am greatful that some chaps are hapy to help others out. :good:

Edited by Lord Geordie

• 5 weeks later...

im quite luck with my permissions as i know the farmers well and they communicate with me. me and a mate mainly shoot the pigeons and lamp rabbits, a couple of other guys shoot pigeons but there is more than enough land for us all to go at and sometimes it works out quite well for everyone with more than one field being shot at one time ping ponging pigeons around. another guy shoots the fox's (i also go out with him from time to time) and i have the written permission to manage the deer.

I help the farmers out when i can especially to do with the pheasant shoot (beating, building pens etc.) and we all seem to get on fine.

I have got a couple of guys kicked off before but that was because they shot a barn owl!!

Can't be doing with that.

Just talk to the bloke and see if you can get to know him for all you know it might work out well for both of you.

Nothing worse than loosing a good farm, i lost one 20 odd years ago to a well known pigeon shooter, i think there was money involved but all he done was put lads in certain fields now and then, no doubt charging them a good bit of money too,,he never shot it himself, any way he was not there when the birds were so the farmer told him F off, then rang me,,

I hope you get to stay on there, its upto the farmer not the other lad good luck,

One of the things that annoy me is that you wont see a soul all year round, then when the harvest arrives they're out in force.

Very difficult to plan your shooting when you don't know who's going to try and get to the fields ten minutes before you.

Happened were I live didn't see anyone over the cold damp days when the land needed it ,the fields got cut on the Wednesday (nice sunny day) two guys on it that evening ,went for a walk with my dog round the field when they had packed up to find about 50 empty carts on the floor cheeky **** couldn't keen up after them selves

hi alan why not try an get along with this guy you could both gain by shooting different locations at the same time keep the birds moving,i shoot with my mate who owns the farm,but we can also shoot neghbouring land as well,ours is exclusive to us but next door is shared so if one of the local lads is on we shoot another field to keep em moving it works ok for us.