Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the workbench... the legs are too big and wood isn't the ideal material but its made from some old skirting board and fence posts and took an hour or so to knock up... The saw i bough came on a platform with castors to make it easy to move about so i used this as the base so i can get it out of the way nice an easily but also move it in so all my tools are close to hand when i'm on the machines...

Edited by Wildfowler

I was emailed saying the barrel is in, now i'm waiting on the rest of the steel for the action, breach plug and the barrel sleeve to arrive. I'm overseas with work for the rest of the week so will collect it on Sunday and hopefully spend some of bank holiday getting started! I got some new bearings for the fixed steady yesterday and put them in so it's all pretty much ready to go. I just do still need a bench grinder but can't seem to find a cheap one (again, me being tight i'm sure) I might just go and buy a new one on Saturday... i definitely need one to grind the HSS tools. I'll use indexable tip tools for the majority of the work but some of the tooling for undercuts and threading will have to be ground specifically.

Your right, A new gun would have been cheaper and easier, without question! :)

However... If I had paid someone to make it for me I'm sure they would have made a nice job but I guarantee they wouldn't put the thought and care into it that I will purely because it isn't there's, its human nature. It would have been done to a price.

Additionally, once I'd paid the engineer to make the gun, yes I'd have the item to use but that would be that... This way Ive spent maybe a few hundred pounds more but will have the gun and all the machines to make yet another gun, and another and anything else I may wish to make, all of which will cost comparatively peanuts as its just raw material.

Coincidentally there was an old punt on the bay recently just a few miles from my house for £900. I did think i could have just bought that and renovated it with considerably less effort than building a new one, BUT, it wouldn't be to my spec and the end result wouldn't be what I really wanted.

That just served to remind me of the whole point of the project... To build a punt and gun completely from scratch that is truly unique, so my boys and I can use it together and make some great momories and when the time comes they will have something to keep and hopefully pass the knowledge on to their kids. (The gun will of course outlast the punt)

That's the plan anyway... They might just sell it and go for a night out! Who knows! :)

Edited to say, this way my boys also get to learn some valuable engineering skills and have access to machines (when they're old enough) to make things and be creative rather than sit inside playing computer games. You never know what they will be when they're older so I want to give them as

many opportunities and skills for them to fall back on as possible...

Edited by Wildfowler

Your right, A new gun would have been cheaper and easier, without question! :)

However... If I had paid someone to make it for me I'm sure they would have made a nice job but I guarantee they wouldn't put the thought and care into it that I will purely because it isn't there's, its human nature. It would have been done to a price.

Additionally, once I'd paid the engineer to make the gun, yes I'd have the item to use but that would be that... This way Ive spent maybe a few hundred pounds more but will have the gun and all the machines to make yet another gun, and another and anything else I may wish to make, all of which will cost comparatively peanuts as its just raw material.

Coincidentally there was an old punt on the bay recently just a few miles from my house for £900. I did think i could have just bought that and renovated it with considerably less effort than building a new one, BUT, it wouldn't be to my spec and the end result wouldn't be what I really wanted.

That just served to remind me of the whole point of the project... To build a punt and gun completely from scratch that is truly unique, so my boys and I can use it together and make some great momories and when the time comes they will have something to keep and hopefully pass the knowledge on to their kids. (The gun will of course outlast the punt)

That's the plan anyway... They might just sell it and go for a night out! Who knows! :)

Edited to say, this way my boys also get to learn some valuable engineering skills and have access to machines (when they're old enough) to make things and be creative rather than sit inside playing computer games. You never know what they will be when they're older so I want to give them as

many opportunities and skills for them to fall back on as possible...

Good fathering that mate, wish I had the skills you have to do the same...........

All our little projects will save money! Well of course that's what we tell the mrs! :)

I doubt any wife would embrace these projects if we told them the truth... 'Well... It will cost twice as much, take 3 times as long and you won't see me for months' - sounds like a winner! :D

or maybe she would??? :)

Mrs C just walked in as I was viewing this thread, and asked what the pipe on the top of the car was. I explained that the author was building a modern version of a punt gun, and how an old school shooter would row a boat out towards a flock of birds and shoot a large gun in order to bag a few. Mrs C assumed that the car would be driven to the foreshore and pointed at the ducks, before firing the gun.

I have corrected her, once I stopped laughing.

Just a few questions , How long is the piece of tube you are machining , (have you any bar steady's and will that fit through the headstock bore also bearing in mind the chuck will only grip about 2" of it) If you get any oscillation on that length of tube unless you are on a seriously low speed it could turn into a nightmare big time.

Edited by Andy H

Yes I have a fixed steady with bearings to clamp to the bed of the lathe and there is a steady each end which is hard mounted to the structure of the building to keep the bar as ridged as possible.

I bought the lathe specifically for the project, hence requiring a Colchester Triumph as it quite a small lathe in comparison to spindle bore, which will take 2 1/8".

I will run it at fairly low speed from the start as the second you get resonance it is very difficult to get rid of as the tool will pick up on it when you try to machine it out. So I guess we will see how it goes! I've tried to mitigate as many opportunities for it to go wrong as possible, but who knows! :)

As the OD of the barrel is only a small element of the build I'm not too concerned that it will take a while...

Edited to say, the tube is 3m long in that picture but it will end at about 2.75 I think.

Edited by Wildfowler

WOW B) sat up a 2am this morning reading this thread :good: man you use tools that i used to but to a way higher skill degree :yes: i bow to ur skill old wise one :lol:

Lee

ps im older than you lol

:lol: cos you found it interesting or you're using it to send you to sleep! :)