which break barrel is your favourite and best to fire?

TomSteebs

I can tell you what me and Mrs Gun own. Have not fired the usual HW, Daystate, BSA, Air Arms weapons in favour here. My Gamo Magnum 3000 with a Hawke scope easily gets sub 1in groups at 30 yards. Her indoors Gamo Whisper X is not far behind with a Gamo scope not as good as the Hawke. What really sets the Whisper X apart is the double spring set up that makes it an absolute doddle to cock. RWS pellets drop the local vermin no bother.

had loads over the years , venom stage 1,s , lazer glide etc.

one of the best guns and cheapest i,ve ever owned though was a fenix 400 carbine in .22 self tuned ( new spring , lube , polish , piston weight ) i could hit 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards pretty consistantley..

CZ 634 - sighted at 25 yards for lamping around farm buildings and for roosting pigeons in the day, it shoots where you put the cross hairs. 2p sized spread at most.

Not as good as my tuned HW underleaver, but good enough for close up hunting and MUCH lighter to carry around for a few hours.

It replaced a CZ 630 I have had for nearly 30 years!

Out of all the Break-Barrels I have used the Theoben Feman is the nicest IMO,but my favourite spring rifle is the Weihrauch HW80!

Booo Hiss :w00t: Just checked out the groupings 5p-1p size from 25 yds plus and two small mouldy potatos are now dead.

Its great and I know it can do better but I am the worst shot on paper in the world but with reactional targets i.e. mr potato I'm great.

milk bottle tops consistently and coke bottle tops consistently. That cant be bad huh?

That`s hard i have had so many good springers over the years i will list some of the best. :hmm:

HW 80 Venom tuned. :good:

HW 77 Venom tuned. :good:

BSA Superstar. tuned. :good:

Cometa 400 fenix re-springed and tuned. :good:

AirArms Minstrel. :good:

They would all do 1/2" groups at 25 yds. :good:

I still have three springers and seven PCPs. I do a lot of vermin control and the PCPs with 10 shot mags get used most of the time has i get a lot more kills and better results with a PCP with night vision on it. :yahoo:

some great advice guys, from what i've heard around the place so far FOR BREAKBARRELS MAY I ADD! it seems to be hw80, hw98, fenman, and longbow.........

the reason i'm not looking at underlevers is the loading speed.....

what are fenman's like for reliability and tuning etc.....?

some great advice guys, from what i've heard around the place so far FOR BREAKBARRELS MAY I ADD! it seems to be hw80, hw98, fenman, and longbow.........

the reason i'm not looking at underlevers is the loading speed.....

what are fenman's like for reliability and tuning etc.....?

Tom ive had 2 Fenmans before and they are lovely and smooth!The only reason i sold them cos i prefer PCP guns!

Personally my choice would be Fenman first then HW80!!

which break barrel air rifle is your favourite and why?

also what groups can you achieve with them....?

atb

tom

HW80 Lazerglide with a few extras, built by myself and Steve Pope doing all the mechanicals when he was part of Webley. It fits me and balances perfectly. Groups? well i go off single shots coz its a vermin gun but the guns capable of putting them all through the same hole on paper when i am. Very easy to cock, as quiet as any air gun to fire been with me a while now!

The fenman is a gas ram and not a spinger. Which means as far as I can tell its a springer/pcp hybrid. I can fire shots through it consistantly and watch the pellet strike the target (actually see the pellet) and I believe (I may be wrong) you cant do that with a springer. Its built like a tank and Its takens ome beatings from me to be sure. The cocking is said to be hard and most people have to hit it to break the link then pull it down. However about 2 days after I bought it (2nd hand) I could pull it down without a tap pretty much effortlessly, there is a bit of a knack to it mind.

The only bad point about mine is the rust on the silencer which is just awful but I think thats more my fualt.

Another consideration is that for me it looks lovely and is a great bit of wood to hold onto, its chuncky where it needs to be and the chequring is great. Ambi stock with raised cheekpeice. It has a good fore end with good long reach which many of the guns of today lack. The wood is also a good colour and is finsihed by the ventillated but pad (does anyone use this as pellet storage it squashes all of mine)

Im not trigger expert all I can say is it work and there apears to be an adjuster but I'm not going near that. Silencer fitted as standard as far as I can tell.

Its quite a weight but thats rewarding, I've taken about 5 pigeons a squirrel and untold numbers of rabbits with that gun and I dont think I will ever sell it even if I swap to pcp.

If theres anything else you want to know then ask and Ill do my best but dont make it too technical :thanks:

I would go with the fenman if I was in your position becuase for lots of people it is simply superb (and then you wont be in the WH snob group :yp: )

The best break barrel I have owned was the HW95 , very accurate at airgun ranges, full legal power and lighter to carry around than the 80,90 etc, great guns.

Having said that I would not change my tuned HW97 for anything, why are you so concerned with loading quickly ?? it takes no more than 3-4 seconds to load my 97.

The best break barrel I have owned was the HW95 , very accurate at airgun ranges, full legal power and lighter to carry around than the 80,90 etc, great guns.

Having said that I would not change my tuned HW97 for anything, why are you so concerned with loading quickly ?? it takes no more than 3-4 seconds to load my 97.

i had a hw97 a few months ago and in the field i found the breech too awkward really, not unmanagable but just i find breakbarrels alot more ergonomical, and it was so annoying when i dropped the pellet in the port area...... :angry:

imo you can load a break barrel without looking very easily when stalking etc....

The fenman is a gas ram and not a spinger. Which means as far as I can tell its a springer/pcp hybrid. I can fire shots through it consistantly and watch the pellet strike the target (actually see the pellet) and I believe (I may be wrong) you cant do that with a springer. Its built like a tank and Its takens ome beatings from me to be sure. The cocking is said to be hard and most people have to hit it to break the link then pull it down. However about 2 days after I bought it (2nd hand) I could pull it down without a tap pretty much effortlessly, there is a bit of a knack to it mind.

The only bad point about mine is the rust on the silencer which is just awful but I think thats more my fualt.

Another consideration is that for me it looks lovely and is a great bit of wood to hold onto, its chuncky where it needs to be and the chequring is great. Ambi stock with raised cheekpeice. It has a good fore end with good long reach which many of the guns of today lack. The wood is also a good colour and is finsihed by the ventillated but pad (does anyone use this as pellet storage it squashes all of mine)

Im not trigger expert all I can say is it work and there apears to be an adjuster but I'm not going near that. Silencer fitted as standard as far as I can tell.

Its quite a weight but thats rewarding, I've taken about 5 pigeons a squirrel and untold numbers of rabbits with that gun and I dont think I will ever sell it even if I swap to pcp.

If theres anything else you want to know then ask and Ill do my best but dont make it too technical :thanks:

I would go with the fenman if I was in your position becuase for lots of people it is simply superb (and then you wont be in the WH snob group :yp: )

you've sold me on it more now ???

as far as spares and the gas ram servicing goes, how is that all done....? also is the recoil as harsh as hw97's etc...

the hw80 doesn't really appeal to me much anymore, so i'm down to;

hw98, hw95, fenman, maybe others if i read up on them (sirocco? others)

you've sold me on it more now ???

as far as spares and the gas ram servicing goes, how is that all done....? also is the recoil as harsh as hw97's etc...

the hw80 doesn't really appeal to me much anymore, so i'm down to;

hw98, hw95, fenman, maybe others if i read up on them (sirocco? others)

Spares (why would you need them) are used on the current evolution air rifles a new fenman if you like. Silenecer are evoluting and you can have the vortex add on.

Gas ram will never need servicing as far as Im aware mine never has been.

Never fired a 97 but as the rifle is heavy recoil is absolutely minimal plus it doesnt use a spring so is lighter anyway.

The only negative point I made was about the rust and I shouldn't worry about that if I were you I seem to sweat acid.

Spares (why would you need them) are used on the current evolution air rifles a new fenman if you like. Silenecer are evoluting and you can have the vortex add on.

Gas ram will never need servicing as far as Im aware mine never has been.

Never fired a 97 but as the rifle is heavy recoil is absolutely minimal plus it doesnt use a spring so is lighter anyway.

The only negative point I made was about the rust and I shouldn't worry about that if I were you I seem to sweat acid.

cheers i'll have to have a look at the evolution vs fenman threads which im sure are out there