Housekeeping

walshie

Well walshie jnr finally has a full time job. We let him off housekeeping money when he was only part time, but now it's time to pay his way.

He eats like a horse and thinks his clothes wash themselves.

I remember when I started work, I earned £37 a week and had to give my mum £20.

What is a fair amount to charge him? A percentage of gross pay or take home pay?

Not a percentage.

Charge him a flat rate.

Something realistic that matches a room in a shared house.

Maybe, if you want to be nice, without telling him put half of what he pays you into a saving account, and when he comes to move out you can give it back to him as a deposit for a first house.

Other ideas.

Tell him he has to arrange one meal a week for the family.

He has to buy the food and cook it.

It’ll give him an idea of what food costs.

Occasionally ask him to do some supermarket shopping.

Stuff like 12 pack of loo roll, toothpaste, cleaning products etc – that he has to buy out of his money.

Anecdotal Reasoning….

Two brothers I used to know were charge 25% of their take home pay.

One earned a lot more than the other.

Poor brother was happy to stay at home.

Better paid brother wanted to move out, but couldn’t afford it with the 25% rent.

Poor brother was paying £150 a month, better paid brother was paying £400.

Better paid brother had no chance of saving up for house deposit.

Many years later, he’s still angry about the unfairness of it.

Anecdotal Reasoning….

Two brothers I used to know were charge 25% of their take home pay.

One earned a lot more than the other.

Poor brother was happy to stay at home.

Better paid brother wanted to move out, but couldn’t afford it with the 25% rent.

Poor brother was paying £150 a month, better paid brother was paying £400.

Better paid brother had no chance of saving up for house deposit.

Many years later, he’s still angry about the unfairness of it.

But the ratio is still the same ... earn more - pay more.

But the ratio is still the same ... earn more - pay more.

That’s fine for income tax.

But if you get a payrise does your bank increase your mortgage and the gasman increase your bills?

I guess it depends what you’re trying to teach the kid.

Im 24 and still live at home, I do a lot of the shopping and help my mum around the house, let alone converting the garage roof into a flat for me to live in and paying for all of the materials, (bleeding me dry). I have moved out twice and came back so I can do the garage conversion and save for a deposit for a house. I pay £150 a month aswell as buy shopping, cook atleast once a week, I do a heck of a lot of jobs and as much as I can do.

I used to pay £50 per week, half the gas/leccy and all the internet charges as it was only me using it ( only me and my mother living there) this was back in 2002

I have always paid from the time I had any money coming in first started when I was 16 used to get £7.70 and paid £2 in board(1976)

I thought it was fair

I have a niece that thinks £20 a week is way over the top, (her dad, my bro in law never paid a penny in board until the day he moved out aged 26 so doesnt see why she has to)

you have to learn them the value of money

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

As it happens I never actually paid any rent myself.

I lived at home as a student till I was 21 (with part time job)

Then had a year of work till I moved out and overseas at 22.

Had I stuck around I’m sure they would have started charging.

But, as a student that said “You’re only young once, enjoy yourself’

And when I got a real job they gave me a years grace to pay off student/graduate debts (new suit, decent car etc) so I wasn’t burdened with debt.

I had it very lucky.

But, now I’m older I look back and appreciate what they did for me as a kid.

Now I’m in a secure position I’ve been able to repay them over the years with a car, new TV, new patio furniture and so on.

I guess it all comes down to the situation the kid and family is in.

It’s a balance between life lessons and paying their way VS parent being able to support and protect their kids.

Isn’t the dream to be able to give ones kids an easier life than the parents had?

I couldn't wait to leave home! At 23 I bought a flat with my girlfriend who was a uni student - so, we were living together we felt we should be married..... how times change! We are still married 30 years on although we have moved house a few times in that time.

My brother continued to live at home until our parents died soon after each other and the financial realities came as a bit of a shock to him.

Nick

I paid 50 a week when i left and i rented a tele for my parents and paid the fone bill and the largest utility bill every quarter

At the time i thought it was a huge amount but now know it was cheap living,my folks were very poor too.

Start low and work up i think 25 quid is a mimimum and an annual increase in line with career progression etc

lucky boogers when I started work I got £3 a week I had to give mum for my keep £1 save in the bank £1 then I had a whole £1 to spend on myself but then a £1 went a long way in 1960.

When I was young our neighbour had two boys and a girl when they started work they had to give there mum money for there keep but unknown to them what she did was to save it and when they got married she gave it back to them to use as part of the deposit for them to buy there first house a nice idea if you can afford to do it.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I had to pay a third to my mum, save a third and had a third to spend. I like the idea of taking more off the kid for a wee nest egg later in life.

The young guy at work served his time then quickly became a self employed subby along with the rest of us. He's still at home and pays zero. He has no idea what it costs to live. His van is even insured through his old man's fleet. He's apparently saving for deposit and good luck to him if this is the case but it will be a sharp shock the day he moves into his own place.

I think the harder you can be on them now the more clued up they'll be when they eventually leave the nest.

Good luck

JF

p.s. I preach as if I'm a wise old man when in fact my first child is due around christmas.

The young guy at work served his time then quickly became a self employed subby along with the rest of us. He's still at home and pays zero. He has no idea what it costs to live. His van is even insured through his old man's fleet. He's apparently saving for deposit and good luck to him if this is the case but it will be a sharp shock the day he moves into his own place.

When I bought the place I am in now I came from paying £50 per week(see previous post) to a mortgage of £125 a month

It still took me 2 years to get to a place where I felt comfortable money wise, Its not the mortgage that gets you, its all the bumf that goes with living on your own.

your are responsable for EVERYTHING

:shaun: