How/Why did you get into Shooting  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What got you into shooting

• I knew someone who shoots
    • A family member shoots
    • I didn't know anyone but thought i'd enjoy it
    • I was mates with some pot shot shooters
    • I wanted one because of DVD games/Films like Rambo

I voted family member .....Which basically was my dad who does not bither much now .

Whats your agenda then pelt man ?

The results of this poll may show how the licensing of AIR Guns affect the future growth of or sport.

As i feel if you tick 1 or 2 that this is the trend for the growth of the sport, which i dont feel will change much if you had to obtain a license, to get a Air Gun if Friends & Family around you were shooting.

That is my agenda

PELTMAN

I started off plinking with an air-rifle with friends, progressed onto small game pigeons and squirels, rabbits followed with an upgraded weapon choice, note the choice in shooting fellows tightened as well, some people shouldn't have guns, then a natural progresion to shotgun followed, then target as well, a love of shooting, firearms/weapons/guns carried over here with me.

Martin

I was camping with some mates in Bucks. I heard a bang and saw the local ***** shooting coots. Had a chat and he sold me a 9mm garden gun (with a four leaf clover for luck!!) Within a week or so I had put down a deposit on a Greener GP single barrel 12 bore. (Private sale) I used to go and take my payments each week and lovingly look at the gun. When everything was bought and paid for I never looked back.

I gave up my footy and squash after my second back operation.

The electrician who worked for me advised me to give clay shooting a go and I got hooked.

Shotty's led to rifles and then came game shooting and deer stalking.

Shooting is now my life hobby and I spend as much time as I can doing it.

I would like to think I have also got several people involved in shooting in one way or another through the small clay shoot I run. I always have time for one on one tuition with new shooters at no expense.

Rob. :good:

my grandad also he left me his old s/b/s 12gauge mortiner and sons it was made by, i still have the gun but it is so badly pitted i rarely use it.

when he left it to me i was only 16 and didnt even know i needed a licence :good::lol: and only found this out when the local plod came knocking at my door B) and said he had been told by 75 year old granny that i had possesion of the gun, well commen sence was still around in those days and it wasnt a problem the plod just took the gun away until i got my fac and then i went to the police station and they gave me my gun back . i just wonder if it would be so simple now?:lol:

happy days kirky :lol:

Hi,

Dad bought a Webley Exocet for the squirrels. I got hooked after killing a few cans and moved onto squirrels. Still a 7.5 lbs gun with open sights that was to big and heavy to get in my shoulder so I had to tuck it into my arm wasn't the best gun for a skinny 10 year old to start on but hey I survived and a couple of years later got my BSA Lightning complete with scope!!! and then the next year an Air Arms S410k then thisyear a Beretta Silver Pigeon. B) ( I should probably add the ferrety things in there somewhere despite the fact they are not firearm type weapons they account for a few rabbits :lol::good: )

I do not know if my Dad would have got an air rifle if there was the hassle of licences and he would have just carried on with the trapping. :lol:

FM :lol:

grew up in a small village in surrey,son of the local copper.grandad got me into fishing,dad introduced me to gamekeepers and it took off.i remember finding a purse net on the common and it was my most prized posession for months.didnt know what it was but it fascinated me.

local grave digger/pest controller/poacher took me under his wing and ive never looked back.he was one of a dying breed,had a veg garden the size of a tennis court and only went into a shop for baccy,he truly fed him and his family from the land.my only regret is i never had the chance to thank him

An old priest who visited our family gave me a book called 'Jock of the Bushveld' when I was about ten. It was about this kid in South Africa around the end of the nineteenth century. He wandered all over shooting springbok and other game. These tales of camping under the stars and feeding yourself with .45 caliber rifle, hunter's stews and the open air really fired me up and I read everything I could get about that kind of life; stories about poachers were especially exciting. I'm ashamed to say that as a kid I shot sparrows with a .177 Diana, but as I grew up and got my own house, I read up on shotgun etiquet and got myself some shooting permission and a certificate. I bought a second hand Spanish gun called an Essex and still have it. It's done some work over the last 31 years. In the eighties I got into rifles in a big way and owned .22lr and .22wmr for pest control, but also had an Enfield Mark 4 .303, a .45 caliber muzzle loader, a .58 caliber muzzle loader which had devatating power and a black powder revolver. At the gunclub, I shot everything going from .44 magnum revolvers to .45/70 sharps and trapdoor springfields. They even had miniature cannon there, but I couldn't see the point of that. Just a waste of time, powder and lead.

I gave up most of my shooting in the late eighties due to work and family committments and came back to it when I took early retirement. Now I shoot maybe two or three days a week when I'm not working.

I voted family member .....Which basically was my dad who does not bither much now .

The results of this poll may show how the licensing of AIR Guns affect the future growth of or sport.

As i feel if you tick 1 or 2 that this is the trend for the growth of the sport, which i dont feel will change much if you had to obtain a license, to get a Air Gun if Friends & Family around you were shooting.

That is my agenda

PELTMAN

That is absolute nonsense and a completely false conclusion to jump to.

"Here son I have a surprise for you, but first fill out this airgun licensing application form first, get yourself some photo ID, I'll book in the FAO for a visit next month, you smash your piggy bank for the £50 application fee and then in about 3 months you can have your gun...".

It's just more red tape for a sport already full of red tape.

That is my agenda

PELTMAN

That is absolute nonsense and a completely false conclusion to jump to.

"Here son I have a surprise for you, but first fill out this airgun licensing application form first, get yourself some photo ID, I'll book in the FAO for a visit next month, you smash your piggy bank for the ?50 application fee and then in about 3 months you can have your gun...".

It's just more red tape for a sport already full of red tape.

Sorry you think so mungler

Are you saying that if it were law you would be saying

Sorry son you aint having a Air Rifle because we have to get you a license

Regards

PELTMAN

My Dad had a rifle and taught me to shoot as a young boy. Have some great memories of time spent shooting with Dad.

Probably the best and safest way. Also, good to look back on. I had to hide my airguns from my old man. I used to keep a webley pistol in a ukeleli case in the wardrobe until my sneaky sister told him. Now he's 83 the boot is on the other foot and it's me trying to stop him from buying rubbish.

I had to hide my airguns from my old man. I used to keep a webley pistol in a ukeleli case in the wardrobe until my sneaky sister told him. Now he's 83 the boot is on the other foot and it's me trying to stop him from buying rubbish.

You American Gangster you, was that during prohibition ;):lol::lol:

I know what you mean about Dad though, he's just reached 75 but he starting to get a bit like that now :good:

PELTMAN

I know what you mean about Dad though, he's just reached 75 but he starting to get a bit like that now :good:

PELTMAN

Give it another eight years, and you'll see what I'm up against. He keeps buying stuff, and when I ask him what he's going to do with it, he has no idea.