The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

OK, so my mate and I went out on the first (yesterday) and this morning. Not a great start it has to be said, a greylag on the first and a teal today.

However both mornings were not great for wildfowling (warm, no wind and low tide) but the sunrise on both days were superb so made up for it!

This was the 1st

And this was this morning

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First picture is great! Managed 7 mallard off the mud with a friend which probably won't happen again for ages. Just got woken up now, I think I'd have slept through till mid afternoon. Pup's still sleeping as well :lol:

Thanks for posting :good:

Sounds like a better start to the season than i had! :lol:

Yes, we were up at 3am both mornings to ensure we got out there and settled down in good time. I've not slept during the day either yesterday or today, so starting to feel a little weary! :blink:

All part of the fun though!

Looking forward to seeing everyone elses pics....!

My opening morning decoying on a Broadland river was a bit quiet , but it was great to back again. Very few duck about and I had just two chances. 2 mallard that came from behind and were gone before i could lay the gun on them and a pair of flapper mallard that landed in the decoys. They were left unshot at. The evening flight was a bit better with a lot more duck about. I got caught in the open walking out when an Egyptian goose flew straight at me up a ditch with its wings brushing the water only to spot me at the last moment and swing aside at the very edge of range. But 32 gr of steel no 3s are not up to killing a goose at 45 yards , so I left it. Once settled a big bunch of mallard gave me my first duck of the season , but as I was putting the dog onto it for the retrieve a gadwall came from nowhere. If it swung across my front it would give me a good chance. If it swung behind there was no chance of a shot........ it swung behind me.

And so ended my flight . But it had been a good day and most important the first duck of the season was in the bag.

Edited by anser2

My opening morning decoying on a Broadland river was a bit quiet , but it was great to back again. Very few duck about and I had just two chances. 2 mallard that came from behind and were gone before i could lay the gun on them and a pair of flapper mallard that landed in the decoys. They were left unshot at. The evening flight was a bit better with a lot more duck about. I got caught in the open walking out when an Egyptian goose flew straight at me up a ditch with its wings brushing the water only to spot me at the last moment and swing aside at the very edge of range. But 32 gr of steel no 3s are not up to killing a goose at 45 yards , so I left it. Once settled a big bunch of mallard gave me my first duck of the season , but as I was putting the dog onto it for the retrieve a gadwall came from nowhere. If it swung across my front it would give me a good chance. If it swung behind there was no chance of a shot........ it swung behind me.

And so ended my flight . But it had been a good day and most important the first duck of the season was in the bag.

Can you shoot Egyptian geese in the uk? Never seen one!

Just the one Mallard for me last night. Alot flying around along with a skein of 60 or so Greylags.

But way out of range. Most of them going into the Stubble fields.

I did manage to get bitten to hell from the resident Mozzies and Gnats though....time for the Avon cream to come out!!! :whistling:

Its good to hear about how everyone's season has started.....

Those of us that have access to true wildfowling are lucky and i'm sure that one day it will follow suit with fox hunting so to capture those moments to share with the grandchildren could be invaluable!

Next time you go, take a camera! :yes::D

Went out yesterday a.m. to field where 15 to 20 canada geese had been feeding all week, got there yesterday @ 5.30 waited and waited and waited not a goose in sight. Just getting ready to pack up and 5 mallard came over, managed to drop 2 so all was not lost, back out again tomorrow for the evening flight,hopefully with some better results.

Just got back in from an evening flight, had 2 chances. The first i didn't pull the trigger as they were on the tall side and it looked that they might be turning to come back into the decoys, the second i called 2 mallard in and took a hen mallard over the back of the decoys.

It was my young lab's first retrieve from the tidal river, he went straight out to it and as he got there it dived he ducked under after it and came up with it, the tide was ebbing strongly and he came out the river a good 10 metres down river. by the time he got it back to me it was dead.

oldphonepictures148.jpg

Wildfowler .250 , yes you can shoot Egyptian geese , plenty here in Norfolk , but unfortunely they are on the pest list so can be shot any time...

By pest list, do you mean on the Natural England General Licence, like Canada Geese? I can't see them listed LINK HERE

Ignore above, just found them on the Protect Flora Fauna Licence

Edited by otherwayup

Just got back in from an evening flight, had 2 chances. The first i didn't pull the trigger as they were on the tall side and it looked that they might be turning to come back into the decoys, the second i called 2 mallard in and took a hen mallard over the back of the decoys.

It was my young lab's first retrieve from the tidal river, he went straight out to it and as he got there it dived he ducked under after it and came up with it, the tide was ebbing strongly and he came out the river a good 10 metres down river. by the time he got it back to me it was dead.

oldphonepictures148.jpg

Nice work and great pic! How old is your lab?

I'm hoping to get my younger lab out at the tail end of the season!

was out yesterday Sun 2nd pre-dawn 3;30am for morning and tide flight on the Dee with another forum member. we both got a goose also dropped a teal which we failed to pick, though got replaced shooting tide a mile further on with someone elses lost bird. Lots of Teal about but unfortunatly wrong places at wrong times. Could have perhaps shot more geese but we had a long hard walk off and the packs were heavy enough for a 2mile rough marsh walk in that heat. Got back to the car about 5pm. Loved every minute of it