how many permissions do u have

rapid basher

I have 5 farms I shoot on & another coming my way - I do 95% of my shooting with a Rifle.

I "gave" the Pigeon shooting on one farm of around 1600 acres to Sprackles on here as I couldn't keep on top of it & felt I was been selfish. I'd never met him before but he was highly recommended for some other shooting & I thought - why not - best thing I've done for years not only has he become a good mate he also reinvigorated me to go out Pigeon Shooting.

I am eternally grateful for it too mate.

Good times, some good shooting together and some laughs along the way.

I'm not into using "bragging rights" so I hope that this reply will not be taken as such but all told I have over a dozen and a half farms where I have permission totalling about 4,000 acres. Most of these are just small hill farms but a lot of them adjoin each other so make up the equivilent of just several quite big pieces of land. I have got at least half of these permissions through recomendation from the farmers that I originally got permission from and still get the odd request to visit other farms to deal with the odd fox or vermin problems.

On many of these farms you will not see an awful lot of vermin, most of it is rabbit, crows and pigeons etc. You will see the odd pheasant and partridge but I do not shoot them as there is not enough to justify the shooting of them, I would rather leave them and see them have a chance to breed! There is also deer, mainly roe, but again these are left to breed with only the odd one here and there taken out very occasionally for exactly the same reason - I would prefer to see them breed as long as they are not doing any damage or causing any problems!

The one fortunate thing is that I am allowed to take "guest guns" along on just about all of the farms, which I do on a regular basis especially if someone wants me to "mentor" them in order for them to get this silly mentoring condition taken off from their FAC (Something which has in fact helped out a few members from this forum and from our Gun Club)!

I also have one farm less than a mile (As the crow flies) from my home where they have an old and disused quarry as well as a large working quarry which the land owner is very good and allows me to take groups of shooters to for "target practice" (We can shoot out to about 300 yards with excellent safe backstops - The land is passed for up to .270 for those shooters with "closed conditions" on their FAC) and for clay shooting on Sunday mornings and week day evenings. He has now given us permission to use the old quarry to set up a "steel plate shooting course".

All in all I feel very fortunate to have these permissions which are all within a twenty minute drive from my home as well as a very good working relationship with all of the farmers and land owners. I also have a very good friend who is a game dealer and does a lot of deer management who often invites me out to cull deer with him, which more than justifies having deer on my FAC even though I rarely shoot any deer off my own permissions!

Plenty !!!!!!!! that have taken me years to get and a lot of running around and bottles of whisky ha, ha. The permissions I have cover all game and pest/vermin species but unfortunately no Deer or Boar, approx 3500 acres over staffs, chester and north wales,

ATB Flynny

I shoot for around a dozen farmers, totalling somewhere in the region of 15000 acres. I try to get around most of it for pigeon shooting as i do take it seriously. I am in the process of getting more permission to shoot and don't feel that i have too much land to go at. I know the best places to look, and often when there isn't a decent looking opportunity for a good bag on one farm there may beone on another.

I also go with friends who have some good pigeon land and quite often tell them when there are pigeons there, in hope of an invite.

I’m in a small (20 man) club and we have the shooting over a couple of hundred acres – we don’t put any birds down but there are plenty of pigeon rabbits, woodcock and the odd duck.

I also help out on a 2000 acre pheasant shoot with feeding and beating and in return I can shoot pigeons and other pests all year round on the shoot.

David

Edited by David BASC

I have around 5 that I go to regularly, along with a potential 20 more that I have 'joint' access to with my chum.

I find that if you spread yourself too thin you end up letting people down, best to get a manageable amount of decent permissions to see you through the year (all round crop protection - the farmers like this) or you end up losing them. This has happened to me (and my buddy) who have naturally lost a few by simply not turning up for a year or two...

Incidentally I find the best shooting (rabbits with the rimfire) is on those problem permissions you get asked to look at by the farmer who wouldn't usually have someone shooting it, usually on rented ground predominately grass.

I've had most of mine exclusively (I don't do sharing unless it's my buddy, a recipie for disaster and a lesson hard learnt) for over 13 years.

I'm in a 16 gun syndicate and we have about 800 acres over 3 sites

This past month a mate has getting me 2 quarrys to shoot not been to them yet

Unfortunately everything I have is at least 40 min drive from newcastle would love somewhere closer where I could go for a couple of hours of an avening