Townies

spanielchris

Talking to my mum today, she said she was walking the dog on a public footpath today and the farmer was cutting his field with the combine. She past a lady coming in the opposite direction to her complaining saying the farmer should not be cutting because it's to dusty! SERIOUSLY! What is the county coming to!!!!!!! Does the countryside/shooting/hunting stand a chance?? :-(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly many of our small villages are being taken over by townies. they move in and have no idea about what goes on in the countryside. by the way the wheat is particularly dusty at the moment. stood on the combine tonight with the shotgun. came home black and in need of a shower. :)

A lot of the problems come from the only people that can afford country properties are those from the city or towns. those raised in the more rural areas are finding it hard to stay there as adults, a shame as they understand what is what. I have lost my eldest to city life, not her fault just her chance to get somewhere. The wages a farm hand gets will never be enough to buy the average village property, not in Shropshire anyway.

atvb Paul.

Unfortunately, 'educashun' does not include any sort of reality as to where our food, etc REALLY comes from.

All we can do is our bit to show people what the reality is.

While myself and SWMBO are really, properly rural, and born and bred in the country, a lot of our friends aren't. However, various ones of them have been introduced to fishing, shooting, even hedgerow harvesting over the last few years. They have all, male or female, enjoyed it a lot, and come away with far greater understanding of what we are about.

However ... pigs go off for slaughter in a few weeks. Sausages from those will be a difficulty for some, as they have already said.

One woman (I.T. geek, incredibly) is entirely comfortable with it all though, and says she appreciates her food a lot more now.

So, let's not complain at people who know no better. Instead, let's educate them a little bit, go outside our own comfort zones, and show them a little of what it's all really about. Even if it's only one person, you'll make our world a little bit easier

A lot of the problems come from the only people that can afford country properties are those from the city or towns. those raised in the more rural areas are finding it hard to stay there as adults, a shame as they understand what is what. I have lost my eldest to city life, not her fault just her chance to get somewhere. The wages a farm hand gets will never be enough to buy the average village property, not in Shropshire anyway.

atvb Paul.

Yeah.... I blame that Phil Spencer and Crusty All Slop... " this week Tarquin and Jemmima, in their early twenties, are looking for a 10 bed country house with no rural smells, no noise from agricultural machinery, Cows baying or muddy roads..they have a budget of 3.6 million. including stamp duty and are mortgage free , Tarquin is a b(*)anker and Jem a multi lingual investment managers moll"

I like the activity in the countryside at harvest time, makes me feel at home.

me too grew up 35 feet from a 60 acre wheat feild that was so dusty when combined in August it was like a bloody eclipse... we even used to sacrifice some of the peasants from the neighbouring village... The local Landowner also had a Tiger moth he occasionally dusted his field with.

The there was the stubble burning...great for rabbit shooting ..

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Mike...totally agree!!

Don't even get me started on uneducated idiots in the countryside!

I work in Leeds during the week but I live on and work in my wife's family farming business...I'm often gobstruck..

Eg;

- knock on the door, rambler with two new born lambs. "I saw these new lambs being born and i thought you should have them to look after".

- "I have no map, no guidebook, I'm walking in November wearing espadrilles and I'd like to complain about how wet your fields are".

- new tenant in neighbouring house with small paddock...."dear lord, today a lot of chaos turned up in 4x4's and began shooting all of the pheasants, my horses bolted and escaped! Do they often shoot around here?".....reply....Er yeah you have moved into one of the largest shooting estates in the country and that there tall looking grass next to your back door is a game crop...

Give me strength....(all the above is true but i do often chuckle rather than loose it).

Mike...totally agree!!

Don't even get me started on uneducated idiots in the countryside!

I work in Leeds during the week but I live on and work in my wife's family farming business...I'm often gobstruck..

Eg;

- knock on the door, rambler with two new born lambs. "I saw these new lambs being born and i thought you should have them to look after".

- "I have no map, no guidebook, I'm walking in November wearing espadrilles and I'd like to complain about how wet your fields are".

- new tenant in neighbouring house with small paddock...."dear lord, today a lot of chaos turned up in 4x4's and began shooting all of the pheasants, my horses bolted and escaped! Do they often shoot around here?".....reply....Er yeah you have moved into one of the largest shooting estates in the country and that there tall looking grass next to your back door is a game crop...

Give me strength....(all the above is true but i do often chuckle rather than loose it).

Priceless....

We had a couple of ramblers once asked if they could pitch a tent in one of my Uncles feilds... no problem he said....

Hour later they knocked on the door... " can we plug a power lead in for our television "

Hour or so later looked out of the window and there was a strange glow from the two man tent.... They had lit an open fire on the top of a milk churn lid and were burning barley stubble on it.... you couldnt make it up....

Uncle let them pitch in a open barn where they couldnt do any harm to themselves...

even then in the morning when they came to thank him and say goodbye they complained about the Guernsey,s baying to be milked at 5 in the morning...

Edited by Fisherman Mike

On one of the farms on which we shoot the farmers wife has a caravan site,and next door has a Rookery,which has never been a major problem until 3 years ago when the property including the Rookery were sold to a couple from London.Since then the Rooks numbers have multiplied greatly.

The farmers wife called me round to shoot some so off I went.There were Rooks flying around everywhere,and her guests caravans were covered in carp,as was all her garden furniture,the patio,her plants and the kids trampoline.She said her washing was often to re-wash as it became soiled on the line while drying. When I asked her if she had her neighbours consent for me to go onto the property to shoot,she said no;the neighbours didn't want them shooting as they 'liked to see them' (which is fair enough I suppose)were in London and only came up about once/twice a month and would be none the wiser.I explained to her that without consent I couldn't do anything,but told her she could get in touch with the Environment Agency and get something done on the grounds of environmental health.The dispute is still unresolved,and the farmers wife still tries to bribe me to shoot a few whenever we go onto her land to shoot.

It's the vining peas that tend to get people a bit chippy down here. As point of harvest is critical to quality they often vine right through the night. I love the sound of them munching their way through the fields near the holiday park as I imagine all the sunburnt kids waking up and irrate hung over parents at their wits end through a disturbed nights sleep. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................................schadenfreuder.

Two way street on this one.

Some incomers do see the countryside as a beautiful peaceful museum where nothing nasty happens. Then they get a massive dose of reality and one of three things happens. They moan and learn, they moan and kick off, they moan and move out.

Some of the biggest defenders of rural life can actually be the moaners and learners in my experience. Once they begin to see the facts and reasons behind the reality of the countryside they become involved and interested and appreciate where they live more fully.

The second group tend to be beyond help and usually alienate themselves to the community, often resulting in even more experience of the noisier, dirtier and smellier aspects of agriculture ever closer to their homes. Almost certainly just a coincidence.

The third sort give us another chance to create one of the first sort.

The local show had a great commentator who had more than his fill of type 2 incomers to the point he altered his blurb over the tannoy.

"Welcome to the H****** V****** Show, many of you will be visiting us from the local towns. You probably think the countryside and farming are idyllic, peaceful, stress free environments to escape in to from the pressures of your urban homes and office jobs. Well I feel it my duty to inform you they are not. The countryside is full of mud, blood and ****. Thank you for your support"

It's the vining peas that tend to get people a bit chippy down here. As point of harvest is critical to quality they often vine right through the night. I love the sound of them munching their way through the fields near the holiday park as I imagine all the sunburnt kids waking up and irrate hung over parents at their wits end through a disturbed nights sleep. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................................schadenfreuder.

Can't beat a bit of schaden freuder, tis my second favorite german word along with Scheinschwangerschaft.