SCOPE FOR .17 HMR

Alanl50

Right I like some opinions please what scope for my .17HMR, price is not too important. (but low price is good if OK)

I want a good scope but every one I look at has more poxy dials, button "Parallax" compensation adjusters.

Help ----- I want to be able to POINT, LOOK and shoot with tuning a poxy radio in , or am just old (I am)

Waiting in anticipation for a definitive answer ------ PLEASE

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

I've had various on my Hmr - MTC Viper, Hawke Eclipse, Falcon Menace, Hawke 3-9x50.

I have settled with a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56 - I use it on 10x 99% of the time, I found point & shoot was no good for me as I tended to rush my shots & miss a few !! I prefer the side focus & find I take the extra couple of seconds to focus/place my shot.

Of course that's just me - we're all different.

HTH

Right IM trying to modernise my brain cells, I looked at the Nikko Sterling nighteater, my question, whats the graduation marks on the Objective lense for ??? and I take the parallax focus wheel on the turrets just focuses for the ranges when you pick your target at various distances? ???

Help

Alan

Right I like some opinions please what scope for my .17HMR, price is not too important. (but low price is good if OK)

I want a good scope but every one I look at has more poxy dials, button "Parallax" compensation adjusters.

Help ----- I want to be able to POINT, LOOK and shoot with tuning a poxy radio in , or am just old (I am)

Waiting in anticipation for a definitive answer ------ PLEASE

Alan

3-9x40mm brand and lens quality will dictate price. Any mag over 12x will require paralax adjustment to get a clearer focus (the two are not the same thing but there is some interconnection). To my mind this point and shoot is one big advantage of the 17hmr over the .22 lr. Set your zero at 100yds and your peak trajectory (over POA) will occur around 80 yds and you will be good to around 120ish, though remember its quite a windy round. Recomend Leupold VX1 or vx2 if the budjet goes that far secondhand

You want a straight forward fixed parallax scope with good quality optics. There's something to be said for parallax adjustment, but if you want simple (and there's nothing wrong with that) go for a 4 -10 or 4 - 12 X 50 with the best quality glass you can afford. The accuracy potential of the HMR and its role as a small vermin round tends to mean small targets in low light often at respectable distance, so crisp image and good light gathering pay dividends. I'd agree with the Leupold VX range, though I'd be looking at the 50mm scopes. You could also consider a Meopta Meopro 4 - 12 X 50. No bells and whistles but excellent bright glass for under £400 quid.

Or you could simplify things further with a fixed mag scope like a S&B 7 X 56. In low light you have to reduce the magnification to obtain the brightest image, so if you're shooting rabbits at dusk you'll end up on 7 power anyway for most of the action. The only time I use 12 power on my HMR is for zeroing as the .17 doesn't make much of a hole. I head shoot rabbits at 150 yds on 7 power. You don't need high mag on a sub-200 yd gun.

If money isn't a problem within reason, then I'd avoid Hawke, MTC etc. There'll be howls of protest but the fact is you get what you pay for with scopes. The cheapies will do but they're not much good.

An Anchutz may befour times the price of a CZ but it will not necessarily help you shoot four times the number of rabbits, as any number of people on here will never tire of telling you, but that argument emphatically does not stand up with scopes.

As above................The hmr is point and shoot so get yourself nice straight forward scope to go on it.

I'm using a Nikon Prostaff on mine........ and I'm more than happy with it.

Let your eye be the judge. Spend your money on a scope that's going to give you a nice sharp image rather than on extra magnification that your not really going to need.

For top light transmision you need a 7mm exit pupil. 4x32,6x42,7x50,8x56 all give this bigger lenses can give bigger mags IF your eye is still up to a 7mm std if your middle aged or older it most likely isn't and you might find 7x40 say seems their equal. The glass and the coatings is of primary importance a 6x42 £100 scope is no match or comarisom with the top ones

I've not got a hmr but do most my shooting with my .22lr at dusk and dawn and the rest is either in woods or lamping. I've always bought cheap and recently got a meopta meopro 4-12x50 off fister on here, gimlet is right it might not be a top German scope but quality wise its not far behind, it's worlds apart from the cheap hawkes and stuff I've always used and I got it for the price of a high end hawke/mtc. You won't regret spending that bit extra.

For top light transmision you need a 7mm exit pupil. 4x32,6x42,7x50,8x56 all give this bigger lenses can give bigger mags IF your eye is still up to a 7mm std if your middle aged or older it most likely isn't and you might find 7x40 say seems their equal. The glass and the coatings is of primary importance a 6x42 £100 scope is no match or comarisom with the top ones

Good point on coatings. Cheap scopes have cheap coatings, which impair light gathering and image quality and they aren't as tough as those on a quality scope and they get damaged very easily from scratches, fingerprint burn etc. Cheapies can't take the punishment that quality can.

I originally bought a Hawke scope for my HMR, switched to S&B 8x56 and then a Swaro 8x50. I currently have a S&B 4-16x50 sat on it but will probably move that to one of my centrefires. Reckon the 8x50 nudged it overall - optically the same as the S&B but much more compact and lighter. Regret letting my brother have the Swaro.

Alan, hope you are ok? I would say a Schmidt and Bender 8x56. I have this scope that is waiting to be sat ontop of a 6.5x55 and I also have another Schmidt and Bender 4-16x50 on my .22-250. If you would like to look through any of these scopes then let me know mate, send me a PM as you may have my old mobile number. Good glass is worth its weight in gold and an 8x56 is a very good solid scope with no fiddly bits, just point and shoot. James.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help I finally settled on a Leupold VX2, 3-9x50 I liked the spec plus the life time warranty and you can get the custom dial system turrets from Leupold calibrated for your calibre, I wont bother not with the HMR anyway.

Im after a .243 next. but I need to let the wife settle in with this one lol

The scope should be with me tomorrow, Ill zero it Saturday.

Thanks to all of you

Alan