New iPhone 5 is here

Cosd

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

So the much anticipated iPhone5 has finally been announced!

What do we think? The new features look good, I welcome the taller design where it keeps it's width so you can still use it held in one hand. The Samsung is a little wide in my view and you need two hands to text and operate fully.

The new processor sounds good, using my current 3GS and the wife's 4S the difference in speed is incredible, so upgrading from mine to the 5 should be excellent.

Can't wait to see 4G in action, it's the next big thing in technology me thinks.

Where's Billy and Ben to give us their view on what they've seen so far?

My order goes in as soon as they start to take them......

What say you?

Cos

Edited by Cosd

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you, I've been holding out for the 5 to replace my 3GS which I'll be sad to see to go as its been bullet proof for three years but it's time to move on!

I was a little bit dissapointed that the appearance is very similar to the 4 but hopefully in the flesh it will look different

I think pre orders start tomorrow but no doubt you will have to be quick!

Always happy to see more power etc and the bigger screen is great but nothing there making at a 'must have' for me.

I was all geared up to sell my 4s and drop the readies on a 5 but now I've seen it I think I'll just wait for a year until upgrade time (24mth contract) I'm with o2 anyway so won't be able to get the benefit of 4G until mid 2013 so seems a little pointless..

If it had looked as cool as some of the rumour pics showed it might have or had twice the battery life, I may have been tempted but, it isn't that much different to my 4S and with iOS6 a week away.. would seem a vanity upgrade only..

To be honest, the apple fanboi I am not withstanding, I am far more impressed with the Samsung Galaxy III at the mo even though I really don't like Android... who knows.. This time next year I may defect!

Come on Apple... where has the 'years ahead of the pack' spirit gone?!! You are giving me very little to stay loyal for! (although my iPad 3 is awesome!)

Edited by Vipa

I very tempted to go from my 3GS to a 5 as I have been waiting to do that - but I am not convinced that it is worth the massive expense as it doesn't really do anything more, just a higher res screen and camera and a faster processor - do I really need a faster phone?

Siri is really coming on stream... the improvements over the last year are massive and I now write emails and texts via voice.... typing is becoming a chore! Upgrading would give you that!

I think the big difference is the change to the base socket.

There’s a lot of people who won’t like having to buy new docks, stereos and so forth.

Apparently there’s an adaptor you can buy, but I’ve no idea what it looks like.

As for the rest.

Meh.

Slightly bigger, slightly faster, a few more features.

To me it’s not more special than the upgrade of ie4 to ie5.

My biggest problem with Apple right now is their absurd lawsuits.

Arguing that Samsung copied them is ridiculous, they have just both followed the natural technology progression.

Look here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z22_(handheld)

It’s white, rounded corners, fingertip size icons in a grid layout.

It was released 4 years before the first iphone.

I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples out there.

Apple used to be the shining light of Rebellion against the evil corporate Microsoft.

But these days they are probably one of the worst companies around in terms of absurd patents and aggressive lawuits.

They have just copyrighted (or attempted to) the concept of a wedge shaped laptop.

That’s not technology or even unique styling.

They seem to have a whole branch of lawyers working as patent trolls.

I have the 4s and I don't think I will be changing up just yet,I think apple needed do do something radically different, but making it slightly bigger and faster is not radical,also I'm not prepared to change my docking ports in two vehicles and in house because apple wants to sell me some shiny new accessories. They promised the earth,but failed.

I think the big difference is the change to the base socket.

There’s a lot of people who won’t like having to buy new docks, stereos and so forth.

Apparently there’s an adaptor you can buy, but I’ve no idea what it looks like.

As for the rest.

Meh.

Slightly bigger, slightly faster, a few more features.

To me it’s not more special than the upgrade of ie4 to ie5.

My biggest problem with Apple right now is their absurd lawsuits.

Arguing that Samsung copied them is ridiculous, they have just both followed the natural technology progression.

Look here.

http://en.wikipedia..../Z22_(handheld)

It’s white, rounded corners, fingertip size icons in a grid layout.

It was released 4 years before the first iphone.

I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples out there.

Apple used to be the shining light of Rebellion against the evil corporate Microsoft.

But these days they are probably one of the worst companies around in terms of absurd patents and aggressive lawuits.

They have just copyrighted (or attempted to) the concept of a wedge shaped laptop.

That’s not technology or even unique styling.

They seem to have a whole branch of lawyers working as patent trolls.

Though I hear what you're saying, I have no doubt if it was the other way round Samsung would try it's best to protect what is making them billions of pounds.

I don't know the technicalities of what Apple sued for, but having seen Wallmart copy my brother in laws invention, and my brother in law losing millions in sales and then in courts (he lost his case on the most ridiculous technicality), I am all with copy right laws!

Cos

Each to there own, but it's a bleddy phone " PICK IT UP SAY HELLO AND GOODBYE" thats all I need, dont get me wrong if you use it for your buisness/ work they are great tools, but a lot just buy them as a fashion acessory. All you see everywhere you go nowadays is people messing with there gadgets, get a life and get out in the big wide world and stop playing with your gadgets ha ha, it's just another money maker for apple everyone will que up for them etc and in 12 months time they will bring another one out that can talk to martians etc ha ha ha ,

atb Flynny

I’m just waiting for the re-introduction of a multi sim system.

I want a small screen clamshell phone for my jeans pocket in the pub and a larger Samsung Note for my desk or suit.

And I want them to both have the same number and same synched txts and emails etc.

It can’t be that far away.

That’s going to be a game changed I think.

2 phones, with the same number, for different situations.

No NFC - not happy.

Nevertheless, I am going home to price up my remaining shooting gear to upgrade.

I’m just waiting for the re-introduction of a multi sim system.

If anything, the SIM will be gone in the next 3 years. It's a ******* masssssive chip for what it actually does. Such a waste of space.

Multi accounts already exist. You can divert numbers. I think you just need to learn how to set all that up ;)

Synced texts exist and mail accounts are even easier to set up.

Edited by Billy.

Each to there own, but it's a bleddy phone " PICK IT UP SAY HELLO AND GOODBYE" thats all I need, dont get me wrong if you use it for your buisness/ work they are great tools, but a lot just buy them as a fashion acessory. All you see everywhere you go nowadays is people messing with there gadgets, get a life and get out in the big wide world and stop playing with your gadgets ha ha, it's just another money maker for apple everyone will que up for them etc and in 12 months time they will bring another one out that can talk to martians etc ha ha ha ,

atb Flynny

I was the same until bought a 4s, (my first smart phone)

I still dont use it to anywhere near its capacity and I love it

Siri has trouble with me accent (mild Geordie) hopefully it will get better with upgrades that I hear I can get soon

Wont be chopping it in for a 5 though, It now does everything I need so until the 5 wakes me up with a cup of tea and a bacon sarnie then I will stick with the 4s

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

a 8 megapixels. But a new panorama mode will mean users can now take 28 megapixel pictures using the eight megapixel camera. That's a quote from sky news, how does a 8 megapixel camera take a 28 megapixel pictures on a different setting? I'll be getting one anyway as my 4g could do with a upgrade, and with a free early upgrade it will make no difference to me

I dont know how we managed , every where I go there are people chatting away on their mobiles yet when I was a lad walking around the town shops there was never a queues outside the phone boxes !

true mate , the only queues outside phone boxes i used to see was on a fri/sat night after a few ales and they wernt queing to phone a a taxi if you know what i mean ha ha

atb flynny