Stepping on someone's toes

Dougy

Do you know the other shooters ? If not then they couldn't have mentioned the shoot to you and your conscience is clear, but surely to be polite you would have a chat with them.. Doing the "right" thing is as important as doing the "legal" thing.

I have arrived at a large field to find someone else shooting at the other end, I walk over and ask if they mind me setting up, if they say it gives them a problem I'll leave. No argument. If I got a shoot and someone else was already shooting there first I'd extend them the same courtesy, perhaps they are doing a good job and the farmer doesn't realise, we know how farmers can confuse 10 rabbits with "1000s of 'em", especially if they're in the pub.

Talk to them, you have permission, you might be able to co-ordinate shooting different fields to keep the birds moving.

Here's the situation,

Having a pint in the local i was asked by someone if i could shoot some pigeons as they had loads on there and they had asked other people but i was told they didnt bother showing. I didnt need to be asked twice and made it clear that i would more than love to. So next available time i was the phone had a chat with the land owner sorted out were to go and were not to go, up there, set up my hide deeks and pop off a few pigeons, not too many but none the less i was there on the field. I packed up and on the way to the farm catch a chat with the farmer, give him my thanks and appreciation and the offer was there again from him,,

"pop up any time just give me a ring before you come" :good:

So next available time i ring up the farmer to ask if i can shoot more pigeons, the answer was "no problem get on them" and was told the wheat had been cut so i went on the stubble the other day, had a really good day shot plenty could of had more but thats another story, but the thing was i was there on the field again, had such a good day i went the next day aswell but not so good, name of the game.

Now i know someone else shoots on there for Deer and fox, (well they have permission anyway)

The thing is now the chaps that have permision but go only when its a blue moon and its got to be a sunday, are not too happy because they think i'm after there bit.

My oppinion is if they aint going to go and do what the farmer wants to, them why moan when someone else is asked, if they went then i would not have been approached in the first place would i.

MY opinion is i am doing nothing wrong in accepting the offer, is it just me, bearing in mind i only intend shooting pigeons. Now if i was asked to shoot fox's then i would ask myself why am i being asked, my answer would be because no one else is doing the job,simple's..

The question is how many of you would have taken the offer ???

hi

i had a similer situation on one of my permissions, i was recomended to a farmer from a present permision to come and shoot his crows as id done a good job at reducing numbers. so when asked i jumped at the oppertunity and got stuck in. id been getting good bags abd he was chuft to bits with what i was doing and gave me the run of the whole farm. after about 18mnths i was approached by a guy asking what i was doing here and he wasnt to happy. so i showed him my written permision and he told me he was going to see the farmer, so politely i said that wasnt a problem as id been invited here. it turns out this guy had got permision years back and only came once in a blue moon to shoot the wild game there. now when i asked the farmer if i was ok to come back he said absolutely the other bloke isnt here ever 2-3 week for the crows who do you think id rather have here. + he says i can shoot dome of the wild game if i wanted to. so that was a good result.

I find this quite a funny thread .

If you had posted that someone was muscling in on your permission and becoming pally with the farmer them folks would say go speak to him and tell him how lucky you are for gaining his trust and loyalty and how well you are shooting when you turn up .

You being told what you want to hear as only you know the situation . It's you who's got to deal with the blokes in the pub not this forum

But now for my two pence worth .

Any trip out onto land you have permission for is a good one . The farmer has invited you and you have gained his trust . Turn up regular and ask him for fox and deer .

I wouldnt do that. But ! ! ! I would shoot fox and deer if asked, I think under the circumstances I will stick to the pigeons. The farmer is well aware I would shoot the fox.s and deer, I would rather wait to be asked,like the rest of my permissions,of which I am lucky to have got from word of mouth only.

It is very possble it may end up getting verbal in one of my locals.

keep him happy with your efforts on the pigeon and crows and it'll come, you could always mention you're seen a fox lurking about after pigeon shooting one day

A lot of people don't 'work' their permissions, its a common thing. They shoot when they feels like it with no regard for the farmers problems. The farmer wants his pigeons sorted out, you do that and he will be happy. Make yourself useful to him. End of story really

Edited by Vince Green