Badger cull poll in Telegraph

Reece

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be cull TB or not , local woods , farms tracks and roads are being destroyed .... Don't get me wrong i don't want badgers wiped out ... But like every animal they need to be controlled....saw 10 the other night when i went lamping.

Regards

willow32

i agree. thats exactly it!! theres an unbeleivable amount now!!!!

I've voted in favour but if the conditions outlined when the cull was first proposed are adhereed to, the chances of setting up a contiguous cull zone that satisfies the requirements are virtually nil.

An organised cull is needed in infected areas but I think the huge contiguous cull zone requirement will make it unworkable. To restore some healthy balance for the long term its the removal of the badger's ridiculously over-protected status that needs addressing. A status brought about, it should be remembered, by the previous government purely as means of impeding hunting in the days before the ban. None of this has ever been about welfare.

Still, we live in hope, despite past experience.

I voted no to the cull vaccination is the only answer in the end having said that I think that all dairy caws will soon be kept it gigantic barns like the do in the US so it will not be a problem and then we can have milk cheaper than bottled water and beef cattle can be kept in areas that are TB free.

Firstly there is no vaccination available for cattle.

And where is this mythical land where you say the beef cattle can go, that is TB free.

I would'nt like to be the one to tell any farmer he has to up togs and move.

Tb is spreading accross the country due to the increase in Tb infected Badgers.

I voted no to the cull vaccination is the only answer in the end having said that I think that all dairy caws will soon be kept it gigantic barns like the do in the US so it will not be a problem and then we can have milk cheaper than bottled water and beef cattle can be kept in areas that are TB free.

Milk is already cheaper than bottled water, and if that doesn't change soon then all our milk will come from abroad.

I suppose TB in the national dairy herd will not be a problem when there are no cows left.

The way that I see it we are never going to get agreement on this issue there are two ways to sort out this problem first we could kill all of the cows and buy our milk and beef from abroad or we can kill all of the badgers and hold our breaths that its not the cows that are spreading it ether way I do not much care but stop this messing about one or the other simple.

first we could kill all of the cows and buy our milk and beef from abroad or we can kill all of the badgers and hold our breaths that its not the cows that are spreading it ether way I do not much care but stop this messing about one or the other simple.

The voice of reason. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I did have a laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How some people get permission to shoot on farms when they say, "first we could kill all the cows".

The farmers I know would see you off with a big boot up your butt.

I was making the point if as some people think badgers are the way that tb is spread just shooting a few is not going to stop it you would have to catch them and test them and once you have a stock of tb free badgers you could then in some way kill all of the rest of them and reintroduce the clean ones as they have with wolves etc.

At present we kill all of the infected caws in a herd at a large cost to the tax payer that runs in to millions per year new caws are then bought in and in turn get infected so they are killed and so it goes on.

What is the point I do not no what the answer is the only logical way has to be vaccination at some point when a good one cums but killing some caws and some badger never has and never will work.

To restore some healthy balance for the long term its the removal of the badger's ridiculously over-protected status that needs addressing. A status brought about, it should be remembered, by the previous government purely as means of impeding hunting in the days before the ban. None of this has ever been about welfare.

Still, we live in hope, despite past experience.

I am no fan of Blair and Brown et al but I don't think you can hold them responsible for the Badger Act 1992. They weren't in office for another five years...

I was making the point if as some people think badgers are the way that tb is spread just shooting a few is not going to stop it you would have to catch them and test them and once you have a stock of tb free badgers you could then in some way kill all of the rest of them and reintroduce the clean ones as they have with wolves etc.

You obviously don't realise what the cull is about and what it's aims are.

The cull is a trial. It's aims are to kill the highest achievable number of badgers in each trial area and then monitor the incidence of bTB in that area. It will then be possible to make an informed decision as to the viability and feasibility of rolling out the cull to other parts of the country.

I'm way out of date here by a good ten years or so.

At grass roots level I ran the carcass (roadkill) survey in Cornwall, Devon and Dorset which was aimed at finding the extent of the disease in the badger population. Although it was 95% roadkill, some were termed "dead on farm" or somesuch. These, one made every effort to get to.

Some farmers were of the opinion that TB followed the badgers as they spread throughout the country and the reason for this spread was because the badger population was following the maize as the area planted increased in proportion to its growing popularity as animal feed.

Are any of our PW farmers still of this opinion or has it been proven groundless?

Edited by wymberley