Just got my .243 granted, need a good scope for < £250. Suggestion

Addison84

Everyone says don't cheap out on a scope but £250 is my budget and I'm convinced that i will get a decent scope for stalking at that price. Meopta sounds good, I would be looking at second hand too! but anyone who has an opinion on MTC for Centre fire would be great.

Also fixed or variable zoom? which do you think works best?

Had an mtc viper on my 243 and 30:06. On the 243 it was perfect for 4 years, and collected many roe and reds along the way. It also survived the 30:06 and never lost zero. I also have 2 pals with another 3 MTC scopes on centre fires with no problems, but i recently decided to go for a swaro and it is very different. However, value for money and the MTC was top notch. AT maximum magnification it is a little milky but in the 12-16 mag range is really excellent. The top end scopes are better, way better, but my shooting is no more accurate with the swaro, it just extends my shooting enjoyment and my shooting day by 20 minutes in the morning and evening!

I would buy one again, no problem, but the swaro better last a lifetime!

You may want to look at Minox - there are some new 2-10x50/3-15x42 around at 250£ (less than suggested retail, York Guns).

Schott glass, lifetime warranty - stack up against Zeiss Conquest @ around 5-600£

For this money difficult to better unless you wait for a bargain to come along.

L

My friend uses an MTC Viper 3-12x44 very successfully, i'm tempted by the MTC Viper 10x44 because I've already got 30mm mounts and most basic leupolds are 25mm tubes, is it worth the extra money for mounts and to go for the leupold vx-1 3-9x50 for £284 courtesy of uttings?

If you are thinking of upping your budget to that point then seriously consider a schmidt and bender 8x56 they come up second hand for round the £300 mark or slightly more, they will knock the socks off all the above as a stalking scope. Low light they are simply brilliant and even better if along the line you decide you want a variable you won't loose any money once at that level they just don't go any lower price wise

If you are thinking of upping your budget to that point then seriously consider a schmidt and bender 8x56 they come up second hand for round the £300 mark or slightly more, they will knock the socks off all the above as a stalking scope. Low light they are simply brilliant and even better if along the line you decide you want a variable you won't loose any money once at that level they just don't go any lower price wise

I am with al4x on this one, if you are on a budget doing as he says will save you money in the long run. I have a swaro on one rifle and a burris on another. They are fantstic and because of this I will endevour to get the same quality of glass for my other 2 rtifles. Admittedly I have went through your situation and bought what I thought would be acceptable in cheaper new scopes but to be honest when you, if I was to add up the money spent on all the different ones I have bought, tried and then sold on because I was not happy with the perfomance I coud easily have got much better glass second hand and would be much better of now.

Dear All,

I've just had my .243 granted, I have rifle sorted just need a scope.

I need some suggestions on scopes for less than £250, i'm thinking about MTC Viper range ive heard good things......

I suspect many will rush to criticise me here, but my comments are based on my specific experience, not what I have heard or read. This is my opinion through actual experience, others may well have another view.

Don't be put off your quest, you will find people will suggest the scope they have or aspire to, that doesn't make it right for you.

And don't take too much heed of this spend loads on the scope malarkey, theoretically the 2 best scopes I ever owed lasted just 2 or 3 weeks each before I got rid, a Leupold and Bushnell with a list price just short of £1000 each. Useless from my point of view and a BIG disappointment optically, and mechanically (the Bushnell).

My most expensive scope currently (on my HMR) listed about £320 (an Old Sidewinder I got new for about £100 in a Sale when the range was updated), scopes on my .223/.243/.308 are seriously budget.

The band who promote grief and woe over budget scopes are welcome to an opinion, but glass specially, has improved dramatically over the years in budget scope. Some offer excellent optics these days, where so many fall down is build quality and dialling in, obviously this can be a problem.

Fact is there are problems with all scopes at times, as long as you can see your quarry and it hold zero there is NO need to spend a fortune on a scope. NONE of mine has ever broken or fallen apart, even on the centrefires.

Buy budget buy twice is rubbish today, but don't buy "cheap", there are still some that are very poorly made.

A .243 isn't really that hard on scopes, it isn't a vicious calibre and you should easily find £250 buys you a very capable scope, odds are you could have some change.

Let me also say that I am not for one second suggesting quality scopes are a waste of money, many offer excellent features, you simply have to ask yourself do I really need it?

ATB!

Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice and experience, I am still searching for a scope the question on my lips at the moment is fixed mag or variable?!

I have seen some very nice scopes on ebay, and second hand on gunstar and gun trader I would prefer something with 30mm tube as i have rings for this size......

Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice and experience, I am still searching for a scope the question on my lips at the moment is fixed mag or variable?!

I have seen some very nice scopes on ebay, and second hand on gunstar and gun trader I would prefer something with 30mm tube as i have rings for this size......

was out with a chap last week,he was knocking rabbits over at ranges well past 300 yads.

scope was a mtc viper on a 243.,seen him do it regular over the last couple of years.

I was having exactly the same dilemma about a week ago. I was looking at all the end of line conquest scopes on ebay for about £350-400 and S/H Zeiss duralyts etc but in the end i decided i just couldn't justify having them on my .243. A friend of mine lent me a pretty cheap and nasty tasco 3-9x40 and i used that with no trouble at all for about a fortnight and it held zero absolutely fine with the warne rings i had on it. In the end i opted for a Nikko stirling nighteater 4-16x50 with a 30mm tube i got a fantastic deal on it due to a sponsorship agreement, i have to say I'm really impressed with it. Really clear, even when comparing it to a new zeiss duralyt, yes the zeiss was better but certainly not 4x better. Interested to see where this topic ends up.