10bore

lindsay

'been thinking along the same lines Lindsay............would be interested to know people's thoughts, our club chairman uses an 8 bore which leaves an impression to say the least! It's an old 8 bore Tolley, gorgeous thing but out of my price range sadly....I was hankering after the same but in a cheaper form, hence 10 bore.

You can get the chokes opened up for around £80. That way you could fire steel through it like everyone else does. If you do it, get them done to a half or a quarter. This is the best size for steel.

If you search the internet for John forsey in Kent, he sells the ammo.

Edited by Anth6568

was thinking about getting either a zabala or kestrel 10bore and was wondering if any of yous had one or used them and whats a good price for one?

I own a Zabala, its a very sturdy gun (indeed many have been bored out to eights) its also very heavy in comparisom to any 12 bore) I got a good deal on it privatly for £250, mecanically perfect and the stock wasn't bad looking till i took the rasp to it coz it was shooting to the left. It needed the barrels bluing but was not pitted externally, bores are split mint and its very tight. The chokes were full and full so i had it bored out to 1/2 1/2 to shoot steel. It now stands me at less than £300 and next close season i will refinish the stock with a hand rubbed oil finish and get it proffesionally blued.

Its not a tool for over the deeks etc and no way can it out manover my SX3 12 at the quick opertunities (fast handling it aint) but as a flighting tool its pretty awesome and develops patterns that are a long way away from that of the 3 1/2" 12 bore at 50 yds. I have yet to put it on the geese but it got 2 out of 3 on the MBWA big bore shoot the other weekend on the statespheric clay so i am feeling quite confident it now fits me now

i've got the chance of a sbs 10 with full chokes, the only thing thats stopping me is cartridge types i.e its not steel proof and actually finding somewhere that sells 10 bore cartridges

if its a modern gun ie. not damascus. in good condition i shouldn't fret just get it on 1/2 and 1/2. I am led to believe there has never been a set steel proof std for a ten in the uk anyway but they are built like tanks and this is what most users choose to do. There is no point sticking to full and full as its only of use like that with lead and i don't see the 10 as an inland or Scotland only gun. Choke boring varies a lot it seems but i paid £28 for it

I owned a zabala 10 bore. The gun was tougher than me! When I had it lead was still in vogue and I put 1 7/8 of winchester xx turkey loads through it.

The recoil literally shook my fillings loose and my middle finger was regularly cut on the trigger guard. But it was a serious, SERIOUS goose gun.

Highly Recommended.

had a zabala sold it , now looking for another 10 as i regret it .

i may get a aya matador if funds allow .

resale wasnt easy on the zabala probably due to the 3.5 inch 12 and my one was in very good condition .

nice gun and i would have another if i could find one in good condition but the aya seems to have a better resale value .

i used bismuth and lead through mine through 3/4 and full choke with good results

That seems expensive. I'm pretty sure my steel homeloads don't cost much more than 50p a cart to make.

Correct i worked it out last night 52pence. Based on Remmington cases 5 firings, SP10 cups, aliant steel. considering factory nitro steel is 28 per 25 round here.................

All i have to do now is cope with the ten years it will take to recoup the tooling costs. If i dont just buy a roll turnover and use what i already have and make what i dont. Or i could just spend more time on the geese (now theres a cunning plan)

what load are you doing using sp10 wads wiv steel? I hav been using multi metal wads. Hw are you avoiding tude contact using sp10 wads. Sorry for all the questions but i have 250 of them sat at home.

i am not yet, was working out costs, found the info on a powder manufacturers site. what are in the Factory nitro steel loads from Remmington (thats what i realy wish to duplicate as i am very happy with them)