Fat/Unfit police

955i

Now I like watching the shows where police catch villains, but I have seen a few recently (and one just now in Wales) where the officer has been physically unable to catch up with the suspect.

Surely this is unacceptable and the police should be fit enough to chase a suspect down.

The officer in this episode is a proper bloater and I suspect he would get out of breath going upstairs to the loo.

Are these really the people we want guarding our families?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep if they can't go the distance due to size/fitness get rid :good: im still serving (armed forces) at 46 and still have to complete my PFA (personnel fitness assessment ) twice a year,trust me it dont get any easier,but i can still do the required sit-ups,press ups ,and get 12 and a half mins to run a mile and a half,and can still do it sub 10 and a half mins,yet many 18 years olds still struggle :yes: guess its the playstation generation to blame for there lack of exercise :D BB

Always a bonus being able to outrun plod though :lol: :lol: (joke)

Edited by Bluebarrels

I walked passed one copper yesterday and he was quite the opposite. He looked about 15 and at one stage I thought the wind was going to carry him away.

Wouldn't like to see the poor bloke trying to stop a team of rugby players tearing down a pub in a brawl.

I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and he might me the fittest mo-fo in the force , but even the uniform were hanging off him and looked like he was on his way to his first day at school!

I was actually worried about him, our town can be a rough at times.

Seems that it hasn't gone unnoticed elsewhere.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9145396/Unfit-police-will-face-pay-cut-under-plans-to-rid-service-of-fat-officers.html

We don't need the likes of Usain Bolt pounding the beat, but someone doing the job should have a certain level of fitness in my opinion.

None of you have ever tried chasing people with 2 stone of kit on you either, you catch some, you lose some.... but you always catch them in the end!

Oh trust me mate i have,and much more than 2 stone of kit,check out the average kit a infantry soldier carrys on a routine jog out :good: BB

None of you have ever tried chasing people with 2 stone of kit on you either, you catch some, you lose some.... but you always catch them in the end!

2 stone of kit :hmm: The OB round our way have a batman belt and a radio, where the hell is 28lb of kit :hmm:

Yet not one of these so called "fat" police officers wouldn't stand in front of a bullet or knife to save your life, really should thank them, not mock them.

No ones mocking them,the OP highlights the problem with overweight police officers,and yes in my opinion if they are too fat to do the job,either loose weight or get the boot :good:

I heard Hants police were bringing back an annual fitness assesment. Those that fail have x amount of time to sort them selves out, or they are out.

Their shift patterns are also changing and they may only have 3 rest days between shift change overs.

Unlike the forces, who get trained by qualified physical training instructors and in work time, the police have to fit their training time into their own / family time, with most not having a clue about decent fitness or training programs.

I think they should have a good base level of fitness to do the job, and those that cannot reach that basic level, should be dismissed.

there are a couple of bobby,s that come our muay thai and kickboxing gym and they all seem keen on keeping fit but in ny opinion there should be an annual test for all because i have seen quite a few kebab eaters in the force some cant walk never mind run

I totally agree that an annual fitness test is long overdue for the police, some people have just let themselves go and as well as not having a decent level of fitness look bloody terrible in the uniform. The police as an organisation have no interest in increasing your fitness level and in my experience would rather get rid of your gym and turn it into office space rather than give you a place to work out. If a level of fitness was required then then would have to put in place training and give you time to train as per the armed forces etc and they do not want to do this.

2 stone of kit :hmm: The OB round our way have a batman belt and a radio, where the hell is 28lb of kit :hmm:

I have to wear body armour, Taser tac vest containing Taser, 4 rounds, Baton, Handcuffs, Radio, CS and then on top of that I have a flo yellow tac jacket which I have to wear. I have weighed it at around 1.5 stone.

You will never catch everyone, we are not robots, but the public should expect police to have a good level of fitness.

I feel very comforted by the force feilding rotund PC's.

As I run down the street with an auld gimmers handbag

Classic, ack ack you are are star. "Auld gimmer" belter ha, ha ,ha. Lmao

Atb

Flynny. The police should be fit and not fat, I agree, they still do a belting job though, when the bleddy red tape don't get in the way.

Yep if they can't go the distance due to size/fitness get rid :good: im still serving (armed forces) at 46 and still have to complete my PFA (personnel fitness assessment ) twice a year,trust me it dont get any easier,but i can still do the required sit-ups,press ups ,and get 12 and a half mins to run a mile and a half,and can still do it sub 10 and a half mins,yet many 18 years olds still struggle :yes: guess its the playstation generation to blame for there lack of exercise :D BB

Always a bonus being able to outrun plod though :lol: :lol: (joke)

maybe they should stop eating mars bars lol

Yet not one of these so called "fat" police officers wouldn't stand in front of a bullet or knife to save your life, really should thank them, not mock them.

Mate, if what I saw tonight is true, I would be well dead before the fat ******* got near the crime scene!!

Hang on, it appears that a load of posts on this thread have just disappeared

Any explanation mods?

Sorry, posts didn't appear but are back now

It's not all foot chases you know. I know some really skinny officers who can run for miles but can they stand and fight. I know some really big officers who will never loose a fight but can't run more than 100 yards.

Personally if I've not got them within the first 100 then I probably won't and they always have more incentive to run as they don't want to go to jail.

Harry