BAITING FOX

clayandgame

Dog food works a treat. Another option is to cut up a rabbit or similar into small chunks and put it in a bucket of water for a while. Tip the whole lot out over an area to increase the scent. Whatever you use, do it for a good few days as the fox will be suspicious. Make sure you don't use a piece of bait that it can pick up and run off with.

Try and suss out which direction it's coming from by looking for runs, natural lines of movement and the easiest access point. Assess the wind direction on the night and ensure you're downwind of the baited area and the direction of approach. Also make sure you are minimising your scent on the ground as mentioned previously.

simple answer you are there at the wrong time, but regular baiting will get them coming in more regularly and probably earlier, dog food spread about works well as its smelly and can't be run off with, if you use anything dead then stake it down. A trailcam watching over the bait would let you know when it was being visited

Feed it for a few nights. Small bits that it can carry away. Liberal scattering of dog food trodden in to get the scent going.

Third or fourth night - tie the whole bait to a large rock.

But you will still have to be willing to sit for a long time.

Nature doesn't run to a time-table.

4 - 5 - 6 hrs unless you get lucky.

You need to be in place before dark and take a good book or a walkman.

I/R monocular ideal for the spotting at about 150 yards.

Be very aware about your scent on the bait and around the area.

smellier the better

fishy cat food, tin of anchovies/sardines

stinky dog food

using real animals is tricky unless you stake to the ground which makes them wary when they try to walk off with it.

I like leaving trails to bring them in

I put a half tin of cat food and some anchovies in oil in one leg of a pair of tights.

you can dribbling mess behind you, give it a squeeze with your foot every now and then to squeeze some out.

Then when you get to the bait site just stamp on it and burst the tights

I also use the cat food pouches for the bait site

they are smaller and you dont get left with half a tin in the car (that might roll under the seat and be forgotten about until a bout of really hot weather when you leave the car in the sun.....and then you remember!! yes, did that!)

they also come in little nuggety bits that break up and dont need mashing into the ground

I seem to remember that you can use a clock to find out when the fox comes.

You get a cheap clock, open the back, and tie some string or wire around the batteries, and attach the bait to said string or wire. The fox takes the bait, the pulling knocks the batteries out and stops the clock. Then you know what time the fox usually comes. Or something like that.

I'm no expert with this method, so maybe someone else who does use it can come and comment?

As others have said, cheapest dog food you can find, the last thing you want is anything meaty and chunky that it can just grab and run off with. Often dog biscuit food is good and the small bits can just be spread around an area.

In the country try rabbit, pheasant, pigeon, whatever, round the chicken or duck or goose farm use the farmed birds if possible, but anchor them somehow.

Know your quarry, know his habits and you will get him.

The fox is a creature of habit! :good:

I seem to remember that you can use a clock to find out when the fox comes.

You get a cheap clock, open the back, and tie some string or wire around the batteries, and attach the bait to said string or wire. The fox takes the bait, the pulling knocks the batteries out and stops the clock. Then you know what time the fox usually comes. Or something like that.

I'm no expert with this method, so maybe someone else who does use it can come and comment?

That's it in a nutshell. Anchor the clock under a rock or however you like. I have a second anchor for two reasons - firstly so I don't lose the battery and secondly so the fox can't run off with the bait.

what we have done in the past was to tie a dead chicken onto a long piece of string and drag it round the outside of the field,This let us choose where we wanted to shoot it worked for us.

I've done this with a dead lamb at lambing and you could see Charlie following the scent, zig zagging across the feild, that was until it got shot ,

Atb flynny

Using the liquid produced by boiling horse hoof clippings, is an excellent way to attract foxes. It's used in America to attract Coyote's and Bobcat's.

jesus that must stink!

:hmm: Makes you wonder who/why boil hoof clippings to start with and come up with this, funny old world! :good:

at a guess someone left them in a bucket of water and the smell attracted all sorts, and it has progressed from there. Its very noticeable when my sister has her horses feet trimmed the dog loves the clippings and will home in on them from a fair distance.

Not read all the post, but rather than buy tinned food get some dry dog or cat biscuits, throw them around the area it will keep the fox interested for longer.

If you eat tinned tuna, or simalar save the oil in the freezer smear that on tree,s posts or whatever you choose.

Study the area for the paths, Fox's use regular paths, early morning, see where the dew has been knocked off, late evening the same, frosty morning, nice trails always left by everything thats around.

Holes in hedges, Fox's or badger, fox paths generaly narrower than badgers. By studying the area you will soon see were the fox likes to go and were its coming from. Bait up in the path or bring it out into the open.