Labrador killed by a seal

migster

This story is slightly diff3erent everywhere you read it, this one says signs have now been put up, the P&J and evening express say they were just removed. The Evening Express says the man shot the dog himself as he knew it would not survive, dont think I could bring myself to do that.

It's been reported in the Scottish papers that the dog had to be put down and that when signs were erected, they were torn down, presumably by the tree hugging seal loving brigade.

Good excuse to cull some of the fish robbing rats of the sea.

Right.....flak hat on and run for the door......bye.

It's been reported in the Scottish papers that the dog had to be put down and that when signs were erected, they were torn down, presumably by the tree hugging seal loving brigade.

Good excuse to cull some of the fish robbing rats of the sea.

Right.....flak hat on and run for the door......bye.

do you any nice repices for seal meat?

The Evening Express says the man shot the dog himself as he knew it would not survive, dont think I could bring myself to do that.

You probably could if it was that badly injured and obviously suffering mate, I would. Wouldn't be happy about it but, wouldn't wait maybe an hour or more for a vet to put it down with my dog in serious pain unnecessarily.

do you any nice repices for seal meat?

Seal Meat Hash (inspired by Sir Paul McCartney)

Ingredients

2 kgs. fresh seal meat, cubed

1 kg. blackbird breasts, deboned, whole

500 grams turnips

250 grams parsnips

250 grams strawberries (field berries preferred)

30 ml mustard (the meaner the better)

Preparation

Boil turnips and parsnips salted water until done, then set aside. In a wok, stir-fry the cubed seal meal at high temperature until seared, add blackbird breasts fry another 10 minutes. Add cooked vegetables and cook another 5 minutes until flavours blend. Cool and refridgerate. Just before meal-time, blend strawberries and mustard together to create a vinegrette, and pour over the chilled seal meat and serve. A right good scoff.

Seals are far more dangerous than most people think. Don't be fooled by all the cute, fluffy photos and the shows they put on at zoos. A pack of seals could easily rip a person to shreads if they wanted, especially if they think you are a threat to their young.

Just look at those teeth... :o

DSC_2557web.jpg

looks more like a Rottweiler

Could it do the same to a small child??

Would you feel the same way about everything that 'could' do the same to a small child?

*** folks, let's keep a sense of perspective. Seals are wild predators and, in common with most of our wildlife deserve a degree of respect.

Would you feel the same way about everything that 'could' do the same to a small child?

*** folks, let's keep a sense of perspective. Seals are wild predators and, in common with most of our wildlife deserve a degree of respect.

Is it such a daft question? It certainly occured to me after I read the article in the newspaper.

I live within just a few miles of a pier that kids dive from and a couple of beaches that are popular places to swim when the weather's right. My daughter used to go to one of the beaches with her pals, and we still talk about the time one of them got stung by a jellyfish and suffered anaphylactic shock.

The point is, seals regularly come in very, very close at these locations. I've seen them within ten to twenty metres of the beaches. Now, if a seal is prepared to grab a full-grown Lab, is it utterly beyond the bounds of possibility that the same might happen with a child?

I've never heard of it happening, but that's not to say it never will.

I'm all for giving wildlife all due respect, and I'd never put my dog in the water if there were seals close at hand. But it's a bit difficult to be aware of their presence when you can't see them for water.