To LPG or not to LPG ?

biketestace

I had a big engined V8 mercedes and had it converted. Went from 12-15mpg to the equivalent of 30mpg. (18mpg on LPG taking into account price difference) well worth doing. Never missed a beat. Only problem is LPG stations aren't that plentiful.

economically it is likely to be better buying one that is already converted, I hate it with a passion as our vans it caused no end of problems. From valve seat erosion to most engine sensors and finally injector nozzles, some of the issues have been sorted but the amount you pay for a new conversion does buy you a lot of fuel. If its a vehicle you don't rely on and won't do many miles and you can find an already converted one then it may be worth a punt. But there is a very good reason no manufacturer bothers to do a factory conversion any more, and the number of outlets certainly round here that sell LPG is going down.

Im toying with the idea of buying a 3ltr Shogun sport or a 4ltr Ford explorer,some of the trucks have allready been converted to lpg but im asking your advise whether to go down this route or pay more for a diesel equivallent ? Cheers,bta

I've a Range Rover classic 3.9 ltr EFI, had it 12 years this year. It was 8 years old when I bought it, now 20 years old. I had it converted to L.P.G. when I got it 12 years ago. Never once had a problem, and this is what I am told; If you go "dedicated to gas you will get nearly double the consumption of petrol, down side, if you run out you will have to be towed to gas station. If you are duel fuel, start on petrol, drive on gas, you will only get about 80%to 90% more per gallon. Gas is a bit more than half the cost of petrol hence you will have to do some sums to work out what the return will be. I am not a mechanic by any means, but hope this will help you go in to it with a bit more info', regards, Gel.

It all depends on what you intend using it for if you do a lot of short trips remember they start on petrol my 4ltr Jeep on lpg and doing mostly short trips is good when it worm but when it is cold out it can get a bit expensive to run it may switch over to gas just up the road a bit but its surprising how much petrol you can get through.

It also cost me £500 to have some problems with it fixed this year if you can find a place that dose it in your area also is there a filling station near to your home I have to go five miles to fill up.

My advice would be go with a diesel you can get it fixed in the garage down the road and also get your fuel there.