.223 fro .223

jonesbach

Part ex's my .223 for a new one today. The new one has to be ordered in so not had it yet. Can anyone shed light on procedure on this swap please. RFD advised me to take licence and receipt of sale of my current .223 into firearms dept and apply for variation before i can purchase and pick up my new rifle. Is this correct? Would have thought it was a straight swap - sell a .223 and sound mod and purchase a .223 with sound mod..?!?!

Hang on, am I missing something here? The licence (presumably) doesn't specify a certain rifle make, model etc.

I have the authority to possess certain rifle calibres, divided by slots, it's up to me which types.

If I sell one and then buy another it's still one rifle one slot. What are the firearms dept actually going to physically do?

I thought a (free) one for one variation was when you (say) have a 22 slot and want to change it to a 17 slot.

Sorry if I'm being thick, but ???

Hang on, am I missing something here? The licence (presumably) doesn't specify a certain rifle make, model etc.

I have the authority to possess certain rifle calibres, divided by slots, it's up to me which types.

If I sell one and then buy another it's still one rifle one slot. What are the firearms dept actually going to physically do?

I thought a (free) one for one variation was when you (say) have a 22 slot and want to change it to a 17 slot.

Sorry if I'm being thick, but ???

Right, you start with an empty slot on your ticket and fill it. The slot is no longer empty - it is no longer authority to acquire.

You sell the rifle but still you don't have authority to acquire another one - see above.

The firearms dept are informed and reinstate the authority to acquire.

You buy another one.

This is a debate that we have had many a time, and it does seem rather daft.

I seem to recall some 3-4 years ago during one of ACPO's coffee mornings, they formulated a plan for RFD's to be able to perform 1 for 1 variations of like for like, ie .22lr for another .22lr, .308 for another .308, the moderator on your .223 for another moderator for your .223. Seems easy enough to me, and I'm pretty sure the RFD were in favour as it could be seen as a sales aid to them. Seems to me that would also save a lot of time at the region and should therefore speed up issue/renewal times! :good:

So what happened to that plan? :hmm: :hmm:

I seem to recall some 3-4 years ago during one of ACPO's coffee mornings, they formulated a plan for RFD's to be able to perform 1 for 1 variations of like for like

Since when has common sense been applied to firearms laws? With a few simple changes they could run an office faster than they do now with half the staff. But why bother when the public purse is paying?!

I seem to recall some 3-4 years ago during one of ACPO's coffee mornings, they formulated a plan for RFD's to be able to perform 1 for 1 variations of like for like, ie .22lr for another .22lr, .308 for another .308, the moderator on your .223 for another moderator for your .223. Seems easy enough to me, and I'm pretty sure the RFD were in favour as it could be seen as a sales aid to them. Seems to me that would also save a lot of time at the region and should therefore speed up issue/renewal times! :good:

Thanks all for answering my queries. Like some, I was also confused as to what was actually physically going to be done. It makes no sense why I couldn't 'swap' a like for like gun and mod when he licence states only .223 and sound mod. Pretty much a waste of time for me and them and the fuel to travel back to the shop once cleared.

Another Q then.. 1:1 variation, how long? One hour, day,week,month?!

Thanks all for answering my queries. Like some, I was also confused as to what was actually physically going to be done. It makes no sense why I couldn't 'swap' a like for like gun and mod when he licence states only .223 and sound mod. Pretty much a waste of time for me and them and the fuel to travel back to the shop once cleared.

Another Q then.. 1:1 variation, how long? One hour, day,week,month?!

Depends how busy your firearms department is.