What To Feed Dog While Beating?

Cockermax

Started my first full season beating with my 2yr old Cocker Spaniel. Completed a few days last season but not to much.

Question is do you feed your dog when you break for lunch. Given him a handful of his complete food while he is in the back of the car.

Not noticed any of the other beaters feeding their dogs.

Any pro's or con's for doing this and if so what do you feed your dog.

Any advice would be good.

no ...... there is the risk of twisted gut which is very dangerous.

give them a good feed the night before and a normal feed in the morning plenty of time at least an hour and half before they are to be worked

then make sure they are fed well that night, again at least a hour after they have finished working

let him rest at lunch in the car with some water so he can have a break, its important for him to have a break and rest aswell before being expected to work in the afternoon

edited to add : yes mine get a bit of something at lunch (pork pie, a few biscuits, but only a little)

Edited by meinderby

twisted gut generally occurs on a full belly a "bit" of its normall food wont hurt it and keep its blood sugar up. my dogs often share some of my lunch on the marsh, its a highlight of shooting to them. I know a few serious picking up lads who give a small amount of normal food at lunch

Mine gets a morning feed at 7 then we usually start about 9.30 then lunch she tends to scrounge a bit in the beaters hut and have a few biscuits and that is it.

You have to watch spaniels it's well documented having them collapse while out working. Most people I know do give them a small amount through the day to keep the sugar levels up

On our shoot it seems alot of the lab owners seem ro feed theirs but the spaniels patrol (me included) don't, if you are feeding a good complete food there should be no need to,as has been said above a good drink and a ly down at lunch is right, recently i changed dog food to a brand called snels And what a difference! the season feed is 25% protein and the resting is 19%. it has a couple added things to boost energy and help repair joints after a day working, i highly recommend it and the clean bowls i can safely say so does my spaniels

Mine gets whatever she can scrounge from the guns (the beaters are too mean to feed her :lol: ).

The main thing to do, and you won't see many doing it, is to dry the dog and put a coat on if it is cold. Not as important at half time when it is warmer, but I always dry and wrap the dog after finishing. All that time spent gassing and picking the best brace is no good for your dog's long term health unless you can keep it warm after a day's hard work. :good:

Edited by UKPoacher

Pemmikan bars. Give a 1/4 of a square after every drive. One bar lasts 4 shoot days and costs a fiver. keeps the energy levels and blood sugars up wihout adding bulk in the stomach and gut.

Huskies can survive on them for immense journeys and extensive trials have proven them in avoiding hypoglaecemia in working spaniels.