Who has an 8 bore?

wildfowler.250

Just curious as to who using one on here? Do you use it regularly for wildfowling or just end of season when the geese are a bit higher up? I have a sbs 10 which I am considering changing for an over and under 10 but always fancied an 8. Are all of the sbs 8's a few thousand or can you pick up a decent one for 1-2K? And where's the best place to look for one? They all seem to be fairly expensive so how do you know what is a good buy or whatever?

ps i understand an 8 doesn't give you much more range over a 10?

Sorry for the multiple questions :good:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious as to who using one on here? Do you use it regularly for wildfowling or just end of season when the geese are a bit higher up? I have a sbs 10 which I am considering changing for an over and under 10 but always fancied an 8. Are all of the sbs 8's a few thousand or can you pick up a decent one for 1-2K? And where's the best place to look for one? They all seem to be fairly expensive so how do you know what is a good buy or whatever?

Getting a bit hard to find all of a sudden mate as soon as they turn up for sale every one seems to hear about ! the cheapest double would be a Greylag wich was marketed by Elderkins in the early eighties & I think they the Greylag started like as a bored out & reproofed 10 bore Aya or some thing like that .

Just keep looking & keep an eye on the auctions .

Good Luck .

Cheers! I've heard the bored out 10's don't work out as a true 8 bore? Can't remember the specifics. Thought about a single but then I'd probably be better with a double or semi auto 10.

I know a name like Tolley means good quality and money! But how do you establish what's a good price for the lesser well known names?

Cheers!

at the moment there is a nice single 8 on "guntrader" its a W J Jeffries which was a top london gunmaker and quite sought after, it has a 4 inch chamber which is a plus and is in excellent condition they were asking for £3650 when it was first advertised a couple of months back its now down to £2250 complete with some cartridges!....you would'nt get this at auction for under £3000 this will be a non- money loser, and if you bought it and put it in the next auction you'd make more money than any Bank account anywhere is paying at present, just sit on it, LONDON guns are where the money is.

I spent a year looking for one and purchased a Holland & Holland cased single Barrel and have just been offered £1500 more than I paid for it but be warned plenty of rusty scrap out there!!..

good luck....Dale.

• 3 weeks later...

at the moment there is a nice single 8 on "guntrader" its a W J Jeffries which was a top london gunmaker and quite sought after, it has a 4 inch chamber which is a plus and is in excellent condition they were asking for £3650 when it was first advertised a couple of months back its now down to £2250 complete with some cartridges!....you would'nt get this at auction for under £3000 this will be a non- money loser, and if you bought it and put it in the next auction you'd make more money than any Bank account anywhere is paying at present, just sit on it, LONDON guns are where the money is.

I spent a year looking for one and purchased a Holland & Holland cased single Barrel and have just been offered £1500 more than I paid for it but be warned plenty of rusty scrap out there!!..

good luck....Dale.

How are you getting on with your 8 Dale ? Have you been out for a goose with it yet ? & are you using nitro or the good black stuff :) ? .

How are you getting on with your 8 Dale ? Have you been out for a goose with it yet ? & are you using nitro or the good black stuff :) ? .

Hi Carl, no ive not been out with it yet, have been sourcing a Beretta xtrema 3.5 chamber but hope to get out soon with it, theres been a couple of occasions it would have fetched a goose down but I had to watch them come straight over me 25 yds too high for the 12g, never mind I'll be in the right place / right time in future I'm sure!....hope everythings gone ok you?...I'll not elaborate, you know?

very best wishes......Dale.

I dont use a 8 but have had the use of one in the past. The Elderkin 8 was a Greylag 10 bored out to an 8 and reproofed in Birmingham. I have heard that it was not a true 8 bore, just under a bit I think, but am not sure on that one. I know they knocked the geese down quite well. :good: (so did the 10)

I love big bore guns but they're getting very expensive to load for, today I was going to order some more nice shot but found out the price is now £230 for 3 kg.

The bored out ten to 8 bore guns can be found at a reasonable price but I personaly won't have another, they're too light for the loads and many have issues.

Dale is also right about there being a lot of rusty scrap out there, so have any prospective purchase checked out by someone who knows their stuff.

Having said all that a good English 8 with the right load is a joy to shoot and I will carry on shooting mine till I'm no longer phyisically able.

Mike...

• 3 weeks later...

To a large degree, it depends a lot on how often you get onto the marsh and what your quarry/gun is suited for.

There are lightweight '8s which are app 11-12lbs and are superb for duck (and geese) - as well as up to 17lb magnums which you would not generally use for anything other than flighting geese on the foreshore. I know there are many advocates of tightly choked big bores, but I have found the pattern on my cylinder 8 bore to be just about the best I have ever experienced on any gun and I consider using it an honour (and great fun) every time I take it on the marsh. For me, I don't get out for flights an awful lot, so the cost of 20-30 shots a season is not one which puts me off taking out the big gun each time I get a chance.

If you are looking for one, I would echo comments about taking your time and watching out for some poor examples (of which there are many). Barrel thickness is a particular issue as well as pitting and bulging from using excess loads.

Bought a lovely double Eight about 5 years ago. Mountcastle of Torquay c.1885, toplever and damascus barrels, no doubt a Birmingham gun. Weighs 13 lb 12 oz unloaded.

Fits me nicely but I struggle to shoot with it! Killed the first bird I shot at with it, a greylag, and then went downhill from there. Knock down a few but I would bag more if I just took my 12 bore out every flight! It is just a case of practise makes perfect, and I do not get enough practise with it.

5050119273_28e352d513_z.jpg

Edited by scolopax

Had the same problem with mine!! shot some cracking geese on the shore after folk had rattled into them with the 12s, then missed really easy ones well in range, i think we must shoot behind them what with the slow charge of the load you have to be well in front, but still had great shots which you will never forget, finding a good one is so hard to find these days if you follow all the auctions you will see them turn up again in 6 months with a quick clean up and a nitro re proof and then a massive price tag on the gun which is not worth the asking price.

Takes a little while to get the hang of an 8 but once you have a load worked out that you like then its best you stick with it some people get the impression that if you just point & pull a big gun then all before you will fall from the sky ! well that is not how it works ! as you miss with them just the same as a 12 so if you are not on em you are off em ! , that goes for 4 bores too !!.

Talking of 4 bores I was talking to an RFD in the Emerald Isle last week & he told me he had a Richards 4 bore ( rusty one ) brought in by the Gardi for decommissioning ! so off came the fore end & an electric drill was used to drill a hole through the barrel & then the owner could have it back as a wall hanger !!!

Do I hear some one screaming with rage !!! :hmm:

Edited by Pole Star

Takes a little while to get the hang of an 8 but once you have a load worked out that you like then its best you stick with it some people get the impression that if you just point & pull a big gun then all before you will fall from the sky ! well that is not how it works ! as you miss with them just the same as a 12 so if you are not on em you are off em ! , that goes for 4 bores too !!.

Talking of 4 bores I was talking to an RFD in the Emerald Isle last week & he told me he had a Richards 4 bore ( rusty one ) brought in by the Gardi for decommissioning ! so off came the fore end & an electric drill was used to drill a hole through the barrel & then the owner could have it back as a wall hanger !!!

Do I hear some one screaming with rage !!! :hmm:

no just quiet sobs

I know how you feel ! the moment I was told it was in the shop I said " whats happening with it Jack ? he replied too ! late Carl its just had a hole drilled in the barrel " ( I stared to cry !!! ) :cry1:

i was lucky this year to get one off a wall !! it was hanging on his wall said it would come in handy for a pay day, only bit what bothered him was what he was going to put in its place!! old gun weighs in at 19lb and has not been touched in anyway .

i was lucky this year to get one off a wall !! it was hanging on his wall said it would come in handy for a pay day, only bit what bothered him was what he was going to put in its place!! old gun weighs in at 19lb and has not been touched in anyway .

Just goes to show they are still turning up here & there so those who want a lovely old beast my advice is just keep looking :good: especially before some one drills a hole in the barrel ! :mad: . Pole Star ps came across a lovely pair of S. Nock pocket pistols with tools the other day ! but not for sale !!

• 7 months later...

If you can find a Greener 8 bore, it will be a real brute, but strong. Greener 8's and 4's were the same gun with different bore sizes(same barrel), so the 8 bore will take a heck of a charge. The one I saw was nitro proofed for more than an Eley 4 bore load.

If you can find a Greener 8 bore, it will be a real brute, but strong. Greener 8's and 4's were the same gun with different bore sizes(same barrel), so the 8 bore will take a heck of a charge. The one I saw was nitro proofed for more than an Eley 4 bore load.

Not all greeners were brutes although they did make some huge ones, iv owned three different sizes ranging from 4" large action framed guns of 16lb , medium 13lb guns and the light greener 8 bore duck guns that were around 11lb

Edited by Double four

• 2 weeks later...