Pigeon shooting newbie......gun selection?

Zeus

What are people opinions on gun selctions for pigeon/rough shooting?

I have a Browning 525 multi choke sporter with 30 inch barrels, which Im really comfortable with on the clays and comes up really easily. What Im wondering is will it deliver the results I want in the field? Ive got and old spanish side by side which I occasional give a dusting off on the clay grounds, and although Im happy using there dont feel confident that I can get the same results on live quarry.....maybe its a mental thing.

Whats are you guys using?

The 525 should be great in the field. Start with 30 or 32g of no 6 shot in fibre wad and you will be fine. The only problem which you might find is the weight if you are going to carry it around whilst rough shooting. I sold my 525 grade 1 Sporter last year for this reason. I bought a 525 grade 5 Prestige Game gun with fixed chokes and had it fitted with long Teague chokes. Fantastic gun in the field and far easier to carry. It's only 1/2lb lighter but I find that this makes all the difference.

Chris

Great info guys....

Sunray, what choke size do you rough shoot with?

Mr Sheen, what semi auto do you have? Did you start off shooting from a hide with an o/u and then move onto a semi?

Edited by Zeus

Nothing at all wrong with your gun , if you shoot clays well with it then stick with it .

The only down side is that 30 inch barrels can be a bit of a hindrance in a confined hide but plenty use them.

I personally went from a O/U to a beretta auto as they are easier to reload in the hide with a 3rd shot being a bonus.

Great info guys....

Sunray, what choke size do you rough shoot with?

Mr Sheen, what semi auto do you have? Did you start off shooting from a hide with an o/u and then move onto a semi?

Zeus,

I use 1/4 1/4 for most rough shooting and when after pigeons and crows over decoys when in the hide. If I am going to shoot a bit further out I may change to 1/2 1/2. I would recommend this approach when starting out but you will develop your own preferences with experience. Good luck!

Chris

I started with a Spanish SxS choked 3/4 & Full. I rarely missed with it in the field. The tight chokes made distance birds down-able and not just pricked - much to my shooting buddy's annoyance :lol:

Then I bought an O/U which I have to say, I've never got on with in the field. I shoot well enough on clays with it though.

I now shoot a Beretta semi, which I love. It's easier to load in a hide and light enough to swing well. I don't mind it getting wet or muddy so in that respect it's the perfect field gun. I usually go for 1/2 choke , but I'll try 3/4 next time to see if it will replicate my SxS longer distance shooting.

Then, of course I've got my beautiful old E Harrison for game days.

It's all personal preference and your O/U will do all shooting - unless, of course you're like me you just need an excuse to buy another gun! :good:

Zeus,

I use a remmington versa max for all my walked up, wildfowling and pigeon shooting and could not fault it. It really is flawless in my eyes.

Yes i did use an o/u at first but 30" barrels werent ideal in the hide, i still use the perennia on the clays and the occasional day flight lining as it shoots very well.

Thanks for the info....choke selection does sound a mindfield, it really does help to put a few rounds into a pattern plate to help you understand .

I've herd of a few issues with semi autos not cycling 28gr carts....is this due to the lack of pressure to cycle them through the gun?

Thanks for the info....choke selection does sound a minefield, it really does help to put a few rounds into a pattern plate to help you understand .

I've heard of a few issues with semi autos not cycling 28gr carts....is this due to the lack of pressure to cycle them through the gun?

The problem generally occurs when people buy a 3.5 inch chambered auto then try and put cheaper/lighter loads through that it wasn`t designed to shoot.

The manufacturer`s hand book will advise which minimum loads to use, I have a 3inch hatsan auto which cycles everything I put through it.

Edited by malantone

If you are thinking of changing your gun I would set a budget , go to your local gunshops , try a selection in your price range for fit and get it . We all have our favoured guns , but what suits one does not necessary suit others. I have five 12 bores guns varying in value from £1200 to £50. The one i shoot best with is an old tatty Gunmark Kestrel that cost me £50 from an old fisherman who had used it to shoot seals with when they were raiding his nets.

It's all personal preference and your O/U will do all shooting - unless, of course you're like me you just need an excuse to buy another gun! :good:

Lol same name and last initial I beleave we may be cut from the same cloth and have very similar views a new guna is always the answer

I like the semi autos I've got two at the moment plus a sxs and a over and under I once went clay shooting with my beretta extreme 2 I had that's a three and a half inch gun and I used a box of 24 gram clay loads and it spat them out with no problems at all I was very surprised

fair play anser2 my kestral 25" came from mr bosher for 40 quid cleaned up a treat,n touchwood my hatsan 3" semi has never let me down 24g upto 36g for missing crows ,ive got a berretta onyx o/u for clays basically i need an excuse to get numba 4 and the missus is slowly giving in,name dont mean anything if it fits u and u hit piggins with it job done,dont forget u need a .410 for bunnies and a 16 bore for woodcock and a 20 bore for snipe and if she swallows these excuses your laughthing :good:

• 1 month later...

I use a browning 325 for everything love the gun,i have had it 16yrs now. Although its battered and bruised it does the job for me. Most of the people i shoot with use sxs but i can not get the feel for them. If you get a semi don't use it at the clay ground you will get bombarded with complaints about the spent carts flying all over especially if you do down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a silver pigeon with 30'' barrels,its ok shooting in a hide with that length barrel however its the potential damage that concerns me,all the scrapes and knocking associated with hide shooting,so I have bought a second hand webley and scott 810 semi,its shorter barrels help but at £350 for a pigeon shooting gun, theres no worries about knocks ect,

it recycles 28g cartridges fine with very little recoil its a gem of a gun for the money.

Edited by williamr

I bought a silver pigeon with 30'' barrels,its ok shooting in a hide with that length barrel however its the potential damage that concerns me,all the scrapes and knocking associated with hide shooting,so I have bought a second hand webley and scott 810 semi,its shorter barrels help but at £350 for a pigeon shooting gun, theres no worries about knocks ect,

it recycles 28g cartridges fine with very little recoil its a gem of a gun for the money.

You must be one of the greenest shooters on this forum!

Hi Zeus

Not really an answer to your question but just under-scoring what others have said here about it being the shooter, not the gun.

Are we sitting comfortably?

When I had just started clay shooting (so long ago that the Apple you carried in your pocket was just a piece of fruit) I went to a big open shoot on a farm near Stapleford Abbotts. Money was quite tight but I had splashed out nearly £200 on a new Rizzini o/u. The chap I was with was fine but some of his mates we met there were using Perazzi's and looked at my gun like it was something they had found on the bottom of their shoe. Anyhoo there was a gunsmith who had a business in one of the outbuildings on the farm. He came out later to have a shoot with a side by side that was almost bare metal and looked like something you hang over the fire place in a country pub. He then proceede to p*** over everyone ( including the snobby tw**s), hit a 49 x 50 , including ten out of ten on bolting rabbit, and went back to work.......lovely! I didn't do too bad either.