sas soldier

philscreens

No offence, but your statement is just wrong in this instance. The fact is that he had hoarded ammunition in his house; ammunition that he had gathered in contravention of military rules, statutory regulations and years of training. That to me indicates rather poor discipline.

Secondly, in the eyes of the law status in society should be irrelevant. There is a reason that Justitia is depicted as wearing a blindfold. It is there to signify objectivity, to show that no matter whether you are a "hero" or a "gangster" if you commit a crime you will be judged for it.

Spot on! :good:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah ok I'll wear the guy bringing back a trophy-something along the lines of a 'luger' scenario but a Glock?-hardly of any significance.....never mind the 100's of rounds of ammo.

to me having the guns and the ammo suggests some sort of intention which suggests some sort of guilt.

negative sympathy here.

fuddster

+1 to all of the above.

Working on that theory, where does that put me? I'm not a special forces professional, but nor am I a lowlife, gun toting scumbag. So, if I get a handgun and get caught, maybe I can get a reduced sentence, and certainly a lesser sentence than the aforementioned scumbag?

I haven't followed this case very closely but as I understand it, he was given the pistol as a parting gift and it was locked away for years - something that wouldn't happen to you or me, you don't just 'get' a handgun under ordinary circumstances.

As for the law being blind, well no it isn't and never has been, the jury, to a certain extent, and the judge both have the ability to take into account certain factors - past record, extraodinary circumstances etc. to come to a conclusion. From what I understand it has been a case that has both extraordinary circumstances and mitigating factors in the form of memeory loss. Just braking the law is not enough to put you in jail as has been seen with parents that have killed their children in road traffic accidents - in the eyes of the law they may have caused wrongfull deaths through dangerous driving but they haven't had a custodial sentence because the judge has been compassionate.

I am totally prepared to accept that I am wrong as I don't know all of the facts, but for to me the punishment has to fit the crime.

If the mcnab true tales are actually true, it's pretty std for servicemen to hoard ammo and guns etc. in severntroop he goes on about how they have to go round there mates houses to empty them of stuff before the plod comes round.

To be honest tho.. I think there flexing there muscles a bit with him.. There having a crackdown on gun crime ATM (just been watching a programme on telly about it)

I don't know what the regulations are for dealing with gifts of this nature but I would expect that they should be handed directly to your CO for him to hold until de-activation to have it hung on a wall at Hereford.

Had it been just the handgun which for whatever reason he had failed to get deactivated, then I may have had a modicum of sympathy. But to hold a few hundred rounds of ammunition along with the handgun causes me concern for a number of reasons. Firstly the security that each of us has to use to store our section 1 and 2 firearms. Secondly the individual concerned has been in a stressful role which could well make him more liable to PTSD. Whilst I have the utmost respect for our armed forces I recall a former member of his regiment killing his ex-partner with an AK47 which he had smuggled back. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7272095.stm

The ammunition puts a whole different slant on the case for me, as it puts the doubt in my mind as to his possible intentions. Did he intend to work 'privately' after leaving the army? Did he intend to sell the gun and ammunition?

For all of the above reasons I chose not to sign any of the petitions doing the rounds.

The gun is supposed to have been a gift. Anyone in the employment of the Government is obliged to declare all gifts. I suppose he just forgot to declare it at the time and then again following his "memory loss". :no: :no: :no:

However, the ammunition was not a gift. He just stole it. :yes: :yes: :yes:

The gun is supposed to have been a gift. Anyone in the employment of the Government is obliged to declare all gifts. I suppose he just forgot to declare it at the time and then again following his "memory loss". :no: :no: :no:

However, the ammunition was not a gift. He just stole it. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Well that is it he was obviously planning to kill all of us in our beds he should be hung no killing him is to good lock him up for the rest of his life and then you can feel nice and safe.

lets all be honest about this,,,,, he had a handgun illegally,,he also stored hundreds of rounds illegally,,,, so why is everyone praising this guy,,this memory loss stuff coming out is in my opinion total utter tosh,,,that has been used because the numpty got caught breaking the law,,,, i respect the fact that he served in the army/sas but come on people we all know he was up to something just by keeping the ammo for the gun,,anyone else would have got 5 years,,,and even if it was your air rifle creeping over 12ftlb,,lets be honest about this he was guilty of the offence and just cos his tart would of missed him over christmas he has been let out,,he knew what the price was so he should not of done it,,,,sounds a bit like the woman who got off with drink driving,,because she said she was sleep walking,,,,,sleep walking my backside

Conspiracy-theory-tastic.

Joining the SAS (or whatever he was in) would seem a long way round getting hold of a gun. All that training and time away from the family so he could join up and be given a hand gun.

If he was really a crazed mad man he could have bought an old banger car and whipped out his victim?

If he was really a crazed mad man he could have bought an old banger car and whipped out his victim?

no one is saying he was a crazed mad man,,,i am saying he broke the law,,knew he broke the law,,,so commit the crime,,do the time,,imo

lets all be honest about this,,,,, he had a handgun illegally,,he also stored hundreds of rounds illegally,,,, so why is everyone praising this guy,,this memory loss stuff coming out is in my opinion total utter tosh,,,that has been used because the numpty got caught breaking the law,,,, i respect the fact that he served in the army/sas but come on people we all know he was up to something just by keeping the ammo for the gun,,anyone else would have got 5 years,,,and even if it was your air rifle creeping over 12ftlb,,lets be honest about this he was guilty of the offence and just cos his tart would of missed him over christmas he has been let out,,he knew what the price was so he should not of done it,,,,sounds a bit like the woman who got off with drink driving,,because she said she was sleep walking,,,,,sleep walking my backside

Not really, its already documented and medical notes confirm his memory loss.

It's happened how its happened. There's not lies or cover ups, he's one our good guys and got caught out by an unusual, and genuine, set of circumstances, which is why he's out.

Pretty straight forward.

Edited by chrispti

The memory loss is one thing if you believe it's as bad as all that the simple fact though is he lived in a house with a mate with no memory issue who had a similar collection. Whilst that may be unrelated it does indicate a kind of similar practice going on. He is inside so should he be released as well?

While I can understand the sentiment behind this post;he did what he did willingly('put his life on the line') and of his own free will..he volunteered;no-one forced him to join up.And while I can also understand the fact he was given the gun as a gift(many soldiers/dignitaries have been given such weapons in the past,including an AK47 to PM John Major,which I believe he had deactivated)what I can't understand is why he had hundreds of rounds of ammo to go with it,unless of course he planned to use it as his personal sidearm 'out there'. :hmm:

I'm with you! I can understand the firearm as a present and sentimental value etc...etc but was he planning on firing 300 rounds throughit for sentimental value!! What an idiot! I can't wait for all the old Falklands vets suddenly finding all the stuff they brought back as keep sakes, lets hope they all get let off as well!

Royal

The memory loss is one thing if you believe it's as bad as all that the simple fact though is he lived in a house with a mate with no memory issue who had a similar collection. Whilst that may be unrelated it does indicate a kind of similar practice going on. He is inside so should he be released as well?

No, because he allegedly threatened to kill his ex wife.