sas soldier

philscreens

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why??

Because aside from the gun which he has a possible excuse for he had been hoarding ammunition. He will have known that was wrong. Read the full case and the facts look somewhat different to how it has been portrayed in the media.

A serious criminal offence deserving a sentence, not a get out of jail free card because he was a 'hero'.

There is a massive difference between an extremely well trained and disciplined person, who has put his life on the line, keeping hold of a firearm than some 'gangsta' wannabe with a black market handgun.

While I can understand the sentiment behind this post;he did what he did willingly('put his life on the line') and of his own free will..he volunteered;no-one forced him to join up.And while I can also understand the fact he was given the gun as a gift(many soldiers/dignitaries have been given such weapons in the past,including an AK47 to PM John Major,which I believe he had deactivated)what I can't understand is why he had hundreds of rounds of ammo to go with it,unless of course he planned to use it as his personal sidearm 'out there'. :hmm:

While I can understand the sentiment behind this post;he did what he did willingly('put his life on the line') and of his own free will..he volunteered;no-one forced him to join up.And while I can also understand the fact he was given the gun as a gift(many soldiers/dignitaries have been given such weapons in the past,including an AK47 to PM John Major,which I believe he had deactivated)what I can't understand is why he had hundreds of rounds of ammo to go with it,unless of course he planned to use it as his personal sidearm 'out there'. :hmm:

+1 to all of the above.

There is a massive difference between an extremely well trained and disciplined person, who has put his life on the line, keeping hold of a firearm than some 'gangsta' wannabe with a black market handgun.

Working on that theory, where does that put me? I'm not a special forces professional, but nor am I a lowlife, gun toting scumbag. So, if I get a handgun and get caught, maybe I can get a reduced sentence, and certainly a lesser sentence than the aforementioned scumbag?

He could probably make a good income from selling the story on this!

I do not see why he should be above the law - if anything he has an obligation to demonstrate he knows how to behave and uphold/obey the law.

If it had been "squaddie joe" from any other regiment he would have had the book thrown at him.

Regards,

Gixer

He was foolish, yes, but sending him to prison was way OTT.

No offence, but your statement is just wrong in this instance. The fact is that he had hoarded ammunition in his house; ammunition that he had gathered in contravention of military rules, statutory regulations and years of training. That to me indicates rather poor discipline.

Secondly, in the eyes of the law status in society should be irrelevant. There is a reason that Justitia is depicted as wearing a blindfold. It is there to signify objectivity, to show that no matter whether you are a "hero" or a "gangster" if you commit a crime you will be judged for it.