police checking gun

mossy835

my mate put in for his renewal last tuesday, and he had 2 police man come and check his gun,today so is flo not doing it any more, this is avon somerset.

Good grief, that's all we need.

My dealings whether good or bad with 'ordinary' police officers has not been at all good. Let's just say that the FLO's were usually a bit older, a bit wiser and had a bit of common sense...

In my experience, most of the people who have been out to see me from the time of my fitst application in 1989 until now have been cops, rather than civilian staff. Actually, I think I've only had civilian staff once (2010). At one renewal they even sent a pair of plain clothes officers out which seems like a staggering waste of very expensive resources.

J.

My wife and daughter are under strict instructions that my cabinet cannot be inspected without me being present. The police will not be allowed in unless they have a warrant and their I.D. has been checked. There has in the past bogus "cops" trying to "inspect" security arrangements if the police need to check anything they are supposed to make an appointment as per home office guidlines.

Much the same in Cheshire, seems to be uniformed police doing the checks.

My renewal same up in April and my new certificate arrives well in time but no visit…nothing heard until the last week of October when I was called by an officer making an appointment for the following evening – so I stayed in….and he did not show, no call, no re-arranged appointment, nothing!

Yesterday, out of the blue, when my eldest daughter was at home two uniforms turn up asking for me so they could check my guns.

‘No Dads at work’ she says

‘He’s due a check on his guns’ says the cop.

‘Yes I know’ says my daughter, ‘one of your colleagues made an appointment in October but did not turn up’

‘He must have been called on a job’ says the cop……’Should we call back later?’ they ask…

Yes you can but he does not get back until after 6pm ‘she replies..

‘We don’t work evenings’’ says the cop – ‘should we call next week?’

‘Yes’ says my daughter,’ but not in the day as Dads at work’

‘But we don’t work evenings… and tell him his visit is overdue…’

She shut the door in sheer disbelief…

David

My wife and daughter are under strict instructions that my cabinet cannot be inspected without me being present. The police will not be allowed in unless they have a warrant and their I.D. has been checked. There has in the past bogus "cops" trying to "inspect" security arrangements if the police need to check anything they are supposed to make an appointment as per home office guidlines.

Are you in any way related to JonathanL off of here??

i have had my sgc for 30 years and never have they asked to see my guns, just a quick check to see if my cabinet is bolted to the wall every 5 years on renewal

Same here........ Although Hampshires performance is currently worse than **** poor, my ticket ran out in June, had my visit a few weeks ago, checked the cabinet was secure to the wall, had a quick chat, he told me my renewal will be granted and my ticket should be with me soon.....!!!! I still don't have it ....

Are you in any way related to JonathanL off of here??

It's not sensible to let someone in to view your guns without checking their identity - and I don't mean the uniform and badge. A call to 101 should be able to confirm their identity, if they are real police they shouldn't mind. Otherwise it allows an easy way for a criminal to gain access to a house and firearms - get a uniform and a badge!

They shouldn't call without an appointment and expect to be let in, they have no right to do so. It should also be FEO's doing this - the average police officer knows nothing about firearms (why would he/she?), so the whole thing is a waste of time.

Also, unless the wife and daughter hold a SGC (and/or FAC) they can't have access to the cabinet key, so letting the police view a closed cabinet when your out doesn't gain anything.

The only person on this site that I'm related to is Events Co-ordinator and she would not let them in as per standing orders. We used to have a chief inspector who tried his damdest to revoke my cert (he had no grounds although that was just a technicallity to him) My solicitor got me a written apollogy just before this chief inspector got transferred from HQ. So we all obey the rules that way we all know how things stand. We have already taken the chief Constable to court on an appeal and won and got costs. So everything gets done by the book :shoot:

Edited by vulpicide

I had a letter with my renewal saying that they may drop round at any point to inspect the cabinet/guns. I don't have a problem with that. If I'm not home the wife can let them in. They can see the cabinets are locked and that's that. If I'm home they can see the guns.

No big deal really.

Bedwards, how much training do you think it takes to see if the cabinet is secure? Asking to see the guns listed on the certificate and checking the numbers is not the most challenging of tasks either!