Sid Semark flapper

fortune

Over the years I have had success with the simple old manual flapper invented by Sid Semark, ( who I met at a BASC roadshow in Maidstone on the evening of the 87 Hurricane). The user could give the flapper bird a series of short sharp tugs on the string which simulated a bird landing. It was mechanicaly simple and light in weight which is good when you’ve got to carry support stuff across a field to get into the desired position.

The only problem with this type of flapper is that you need a bird for the decoy. It’s like the chicken & egg thing. For it to work you got to have a decoy bird, so it doesn’t work because you may not have a decoy. Many times I have been slightly off of the best line because I couldn’t set up the hide in the place that I wanted to be and I really needed to pull the birds but they just went blindly on their way until I managed to knock a stray down. The next thing is that when you have got your bird it soon gets rigamortise and it doesn’t flap properly. If the wing bones are broken it develops any old flapping motion, but when it does work it will set birds in to the pack from two fields away. I got over the decoy problem by using a full-bodied decoy with cloth wings. The plusses are more than the minuses.

i do....been doing them for 10 or so years...if you want to see a video of it send me a pm with your e-mail address and i will forward it on to you

regards

ditchman

I would like to see it please.

KW

The only problem with this type of flapper is that you need a bird for the decoy. It’s like the chicken & egg thing. For it to work you got to have a decoy bird, so it doesn’t work because you may not have a decoy. Many times I have been slightly off of the best line because I couldn’t set up the hide in the place that I wanted to be and I really needed to pull the birds but they just went blindly on their way until I managed to knock a stray down. The next thing is that when you have got your bird it soon gets rigamortise and it doesn’t flap properly. If the wing bones are broken it develops any old flapping motion, but when it does work it will set birds in to the pack from two fields away. I got over the decoy problem by using a full-bodied decoy with cloth wings. The plusses are more than the minuses.

The answer to this conundrum is to keep a dead bird or two in the freezer , rigamortise is not a issue with a bird that has been thawed out so no need to break wings.

postman knocking on my door at 7.30 this morning provided me with a flapper from Simon, and what a cracking bit of kit it looks,(there are some clever people out there :good: ) now if I ever get a day off when its not raining we will see what it can do, in the meantime the new neighbors are going to wonder why a pigeon is flapping yet not getting anywhere in my garden.

KW

postman knocking on my door at 7.30 this morning provided me with a flapper from Simon, and what a cracking bit of kit it looks,(there are some clever people out there :good: ) now if I ever get a day off when its not raining we will see what it can do, in the meantime the new neighbors are going to wonder why a pigeon is flapping yet not getting anywhere in my garden.

KW

When i first made it i was testing it in the garden many years ago in the spring....so it was flapping away and another 2 pigeons came down and tried to Hump it !!

I have one passed down to me by my dad, I still have it in the garage somewhere.

I taped a wooded spike to the stand to give it more height , and used an old fly fishing reel to keep the string on. I found that a couple of quick flicks of with

wings would often pull pigeons in , but too much flapping would scare them off. When pigeon magnets came on the scene i stopped using it , perhaps its time for a comeback.

Hitman

• 2 weeks later...

I got the video thanks.

Are you selling these?

I have been looking for something that I can link together or link of an existing flapper to give lots of small movement in a pattern of deeks and this could be it.

I have been looking at flocks of woodies on my horse paddocks and they tend to land very close to each other, 0.75 to 1.25m apart, much closer than I noranlly space my deeks, and they are busy busy busy with small movements. Flocks of 20 to 30 birds often only cover a patch 3-4 m long and 2 m wide.

Would like to try connecting together a whole bunch of deeks to a little motor to produce lots of little movement rather than a single flapper or bouncer

I got the video thanks.

Are you selling these?

I have been looking for something that I can link together or link of an existing flapper to give lots of small movement in a pattern of deeks and this could be it.

I have been looking at flocks of woodies on my horse paddocks and they tend to land very close to each other, 0.75 to 1.25m apart, much closer than I noranlly space my deeks, and they are busy busy busy with small movements. Flocks of 20 to 30 birds often only cover a patch 3-4 m long and 2 m wide.

Would like to try connecting together a whole bunch of deeks to a little motor to produce lots of little movement rather than a single flapper or bouncer

i do sell them but try not to advertise them on PW.....if you want lots of movement get a load of dennys dippers.....