Fox number 60!!

The Essex Hunter

As per the title the last one I shot this evening took the total to 60 from a sheep farm I have been shooting since January. I got finished early this afternoon so decided to wait if any Red deer moved through a wooded area on one of the farms, they only show when 2 other farms have a shoot day as this moves them off so some times they pass through.

After an hour of waiting it was obvious they were not in the area so I was about to leave when a fox hopped on to the headland and started working along.

A quick whistle and off went the round, 170 yards lay a nice vixen.

Martin has been asking about coming out on the lamp so I called him and he turned up at 7.45 and off we went to the sheep farm, the first set of eyes popped out of a hedge just as we pulled in the field.

We made a bit of ground on it then had a second look, I was happy with the distance and shot….a bit further than I thought at 190 yards. We walked 3 more fields while heading back to the truck and the next set of eyes blinked then disappeared so we headed slowly in that direction, I used my widgeon whistle for a minute and the eyes came out the hedge. Off with the lamp and a couple more hand squeaks and lamp on…well it had come 50 yards and nearly caught me out but a quick twist on my sticks and number 59!

Ok Martin lets go check the wood on the way out…a third set showed up in the hand lamp! This fox moved back too around 140 yards and parked his self on a little mound….The number 60 was rattling around my brain as I squeezed the trigger!!

So over all a busy few hours with the gun!

post-23668-0-23407900-1355184993_thumb.jpg

post-23668-0-17992200-1355185030_thumb.jpg

post-23668-0-92171100-1355185059_thumb.jpg

post-23668-0-45518400-1355185097_thumb.jpg

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

Nice round sum.

Foxes love grass farms, how many acres are there ? One of our neighbours shoots about 40 a year on 600 acres of arable adjacent to a chicken farm

Around 220!

It is quite isolated with woods on the boarders and some common land 1-2 miles away so they can come any whey they like.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

60 off 220 acres is a lot of foxes. 220 acres up here Id be lucky to get about half a dozen a year off, Weve had 46 this year but thats off a lot of acres and around 20 permissions.

Wish I had your numbers to deal with.

This is the nitty gritty of shooting ; many more locally this year, wet, more rats & rabbits, no shortage of squirrels, change of keeper on one estate, new keeper found he had loads of foxes and no hares, fewer voles, fewer white owls, have to do what you can.

Happy days mate. Looks like your pushing your ranges out a bit further now....?

Greg 312 is the longest under the white light! We just shot a dog fox this afternoon eating a vixen from 2 days ago! Going to take a picture in the morning!

Both flanks gone so I guess the cold is getting to them as well....

TEH