First aid

lurcherboy

I had a middle aged lady come into my garage today to get a quote for a cambelt replacement. So I started pricing it up for her which took about 5 minutes or so and went out to her car to tell her what the cost was. She was in the drivers seat and was shaking and frothing from the mouth. I ******* froze as I had no idea what was going on or what to do. When the brain engaged I pulled her out of the car and laid her done on the ground and by now a couple of the other lads from the units were out to see what was happening. It appears she was having a fit and one lad knew what the correct procedure was. He pulled her mouth open and yanked false teeth out, made sure she wasn't swallowing her tongue :good: made her as comfortable as he could.

Ambulance arrived 28 minutes after the call :good: and took her away.

Her husband contacted me tonight to say she was fine and thanked me for my help. Obviously I pointed him in the direction of the lad who helped out and everyone was happy. But it scared the hell out of me as I had no idea what to do.

I live near the ambulance station and it only takes me 12 minutes to get to work. Why did they take so long?

LB

:good::good: to the you and the helpfull guy LB, unfourtunatly here as well as there the times for responce are getting longer and longer, here they put it down to availability of hospital beds and gurneys, they keep the ambulance operators or paramedics tied up looking after the patient, only last week one crew was listed as attending an incident 1.5 hrs at RTC 8.5 hrs at hospital :good::good: where's the sense :beer:

and as usual it comes down to dollars and sense,,,,sorry i meant cents ....... over worked under payed and not enough bodys around to drive the wagons, so if all fails and your going to wreck the motor, do it nearer a hospital, or even crash at the emergency center itself.

Martin

Pulled her falseteeth out :good: ...mixed views on this one and procedure's always changing, but; if someone's having a fit do you really want to put your fingers in their mouths? In short the answer is no and if you put anything else in to do it they could bite and break it and choke on the bits. (Then you're into the wonderful world of litigation or prison!)

You can maintain an airway during the fit by tilting the head back. Once the convulsions have subsided, then sweep the mouth for blockages and debris.

As for the ambulance, why do everyone who call the emergency services think that they wait for for their call just so they can respond to them? One ambulance / fire appliance covers a bloody big area, police less so but cover a hell of a lot more people.

If the area's ambulance is 20 miles away and gets the call, it is going to be some time before it gets where it is going. Same with the other emergency services...(steps down from soapbox)

Nice one LB+mate,

Unfortunately its as TLE says, not enough money is being put back into the relevant services and we see the results at the blunt end (so to speak).

Good to hear that the lady concerned was ok,and all ended well though :good:

cheers Sutty.

PS. on a lighter note-------that must have been SOME quote LB :good::good::good::beer:

Always amazes me when some stupid drivers refuse to move over when an ambulance or fire engine is trying to get past in busy traffic.

I have even heard the comment “They are only going home for their dinnerâ€. :good:

Personally I think that anyone who is deliberately obstructive should have their number recorded and a bloody big fine sent through the post. :good:

G.M.

Pulled her falseteeth out :yes: ...mixed views on this one and procedure's always changing, but; if someone's having a fit do you really want to put your fingers in their mouths? In short the answer is no and if you put anything else in to do it they could bite and break it and choke on the bits. (Then you're into the wonderful world of litigation or prison!)

You can maintain an airway during the fit by tilting the head back. Once the convulsions have subsided, then sweep the mouth for blockages and debris.

As for the ambulance, why do everyone who call the emergency services think that they wait for for their call just so they can respond to them? One ambulance / fire appliance covers a bloody big area, police less so but cover a hell of a lot more people.

If the area's ambulance is 20 miles away and gets the call, it is going to be some time before it gets where it is going. Same with the other emergency services...(steps down from soapbox)

There are 17 Ambulance's in Herne Bay Station OB and I think I speak for all when I say I would pull the choppers out rather than let the old girl choke, if I had the knowlege that is. screw litigation and the lawyers. Not having a pop mate but you see the bods sueing you more than I ever will.

Nice one LB+mate,

Unfortunately its as TLE says, not enough money is being put back into the relevant services and we see the results at the blunt end (so to speak).

Good to hear that the lady concerned was ok,and all ended well though :good:

cheers Sutty.

PS. on a lighter note-------that must have been SOME quote LB :good::good::good::beer:

Sutty, her old fella said it was the best quote but I am unsure as to wether I will see the job in the immediate future :beer:

But she is alright so nuff said

The place I work and live in holds a number of people with problems such as epilepsy and seizures, I have had to deal with these since the age of 12 :good:

LB, you did the best you could, its always good to make sure someone in that condition has space, so he/she wont cause themselves an injury. As said above, checking the mouth is a mixed option, someone while having a fit may very well bite, very hard, but then again, they may choke on braces/false teath/ tounge, so you will have to decide whats best depending on the case.

In the worst cases I have seen, people can die very quickly from a fit, if not medicated immediatley with the correct drugs. Ususally they will carry this in a red case/sandwich box, and sometimes will wear a bracelet/necklace indicating what to do in such a situation. The medication box can be found in the persons bag/vehicle, but always call an ambulance FIRST before giving first aid. (of course as you did, putting the person in a safe position with nothing sharp/hard to injure themselves on is always the best first aid option, as a hard hit to the head can cause further complications)

It may be an idea, since you work in a workshop based area of work, to take a first aid course, and learn to deal with serious situations. It could save someones life. The reason you froze is not because of fear, it is because you have no idea what to do. Even basic knowledge will prevent this as you know what to do should such a situation occur. :good:

totally agree with old bill DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE put you fingers in mouth. During a fit the IP has no control over muscle movement at all they can have a far stronger bite then normal. it is also very rare for anybody who is having a fit or as they call it now seizure to choke at the first stages, after the seizure has subsided then put in recovery position.

as far as ETA for emergency services when you go to the bar for a pint are you the only one ? most probably not.they work bloody hard, Put yourself in there position, life and death in front of you most days.

Good mates with both Paramedics and fire service very sad stories. wouldnt do there job for any money

Off my soap box too

sorry

sorry to you Hunter to as i was posting after you.

spot on Hunter as you say take a first aid course

No need to apologise, its a forum, always good to hear everyones side/story on things :good:

I could also never be a doctor/medic. My other half is studying to become a doctor. She will study for 6-7 years before she can get a basic placement in a hospital as a doctor. :good:

The least any of us can do is take a basic first aid course, even if its only a few hours long. This will teach you how to deal with serious burns, someone unconcious while atatched to mains electricity in some form, and other scenarios, all that are down to YOU to save the persons life before the medics get there. Sometimes you cant wait 30 mins, or the person will be in wonderland already.

I did first aid courses in a school as part of the education. Its a pitty state schools dont do much in that area..

It may be an idea, since you work in a workshop based area of work, to take a first aid course, and learn to deal with serious situations. It could save someones life. The reason you froze is not because of fear, it is because you have no idea what to do. Even basic knowledge will prevent this as you know what to do should such a situation occur. :good:

Oh Yes. I think LB would look luvvvvverly in a nurses outfit. nyuk nyuk nyuk.

:good::good::good:

On a serious note it is definitely a good idea to attend a local first-aid course if you are the gaffer of any company.

Try here LB

http://www.kentfirstaidtraining.co.uk/

Dave K

lb , how high was your quote if it made the poor woman have a fit :good: , does this happen often ?.

i did a week long first aid course at work a few years ago , it was quite intensive but came in very handy on several occasions , my certificate has lapsed now but i've thought of renewing it several times but i just can't seem to find the time or motivation these days.

ps the reason i jumped at the chance of the first aid course was because i pulled a guy from a serious car crash but he sadly died , for several years after i had a nagging feeling in the back of my head that with just a bit of first aid knowledge i would have been able to help the fella :good:

Thanks for the serious answers chaps :good: Pavman, your a wag ain't 'cha :blink: :blink: :blink:

Old girl is back to rude health :blush: and the hubby has booked her car in.

I did do a first aid course when I was a first year apprentice and enjoyed it but realise now that it has become rather outdated.

A few months after the course I was at a caravan site that we had in kent when a old boy (neighbouring caravan) had a heart attack. I knew what to do but was too embarressed to get out in front of people and do the resuscitation thing. It still haunts me now as I may have made a difference to someones life.

I am happy with the wrong people dying but not the right ones.

LB

Thanks for the serious answers chaps :good: Pavman, your a wag ain't 'cha :blink: :blink: :blink:

Old girl is back to rude health :blush: and the hubby has booked her car in.

I did do a first aid course when I was a first year apprentice and enjoyed it but realise now that it has become rather outdated.

A few months after the course I was at a caravan site that we had in kent when a old boy (neighbouring caravan) had a heart attack. I knew what to do but was too embarressed to get out in front of people and do the resuscitation thing. It still haunts me now as I may have made a difference to someones life.

I am happy with the wrong people dying but not the right ones.

LB

LB

I had a similar incident a few years back and prior to mobile phones;

Me and a mate on way back from pub find a lad in the road off his face and in bad shape, I told mate to watch over him whilst I went for a phone box, anyway when I came back my mates got the lads jeans round his ankles and is humping him like a good un, I shout at my mate what the hell you doing and he says, sorry pavman his breathing faulted so I gave him the kiss of life and one thing led to another :lol:

Guest jonrms

:good: NEVER NEVER NEVER remove false teeth from a patients mouth... unless it is obstructing there air way....

When a patient is fitting .. you should be very carefull... heres some basic steps and precautions to take.

1 dont move the patient unless it is vital.. ie if the patient can not hurt them selfs than leave them where they are....

2 observe them.. ensure that there airways are clear.... frothing at the mouth does NOT mean that she / he is struggling to breath.... this is a natural reaction but you must observe it incase it becomes too much liquid in the mouth...

3 if you need to move the patient ensure that they are on a comfortable place.. during a fit. they can thrash around so violently they dislocate arms legs etc... and can do alot of injury to themselfs.... this is usually often why patients need to be transfered to a hspt.

Check the patient for any Id bracelets.. neckless... there might be a clue to a condition.. not all patients hold them.. also see if there is any medication or any indication of the patients condition lying around... if you must go through any belongings... have people present.... and advise the police / paramedics / or technicians that you did so....

Always dial 999 ... if the fit lasts for more than 5-10 min.. call back the ambulance.. because this can cause brain damnage... also some times classed as a gran mal.

if you must remove any dentures or retainers etc.... be very very carefull... they can exhert alot of pressure... more than normally... and can actually bite off your finger.... it has been done before. be warned.

I think that everyone should know the basics of first aid and cpr... but again its everyons choice...

remember this is comming from a (now X paramedic)