What sort of time for Roosting?

Bleeh

I'll be honest, this is the first time In my life I've got Roost shooting in December (it's normally February after the game shooting has finished).

I was hid up by about 14:15 on Sunday, but even that seemed a little late!

What time do you fellows go?

Edited by Bleeh

Didn't think you was allowed to shoot ( roast) in the dark

You cant shoot wood pigeon by artificial light ie lamp , im sure you can lamp ferals thou in barn etc ,

Back to the Op i asked similar question awhile ago seems hour or 2 before last light , had a roost shoot on sunday and is was mental 20 minutes or so just for dark

You cant shoot wood pigeon by artificial light ie lamp , im sure you can lamp ferals thou in barn etc ,

Back to the Op i asked similar question awhile ago seems hour or 2 before last light , had a roost shoot on sunday and is was mental 20 minutes or so just for dark

Thanks for that didn't mean to sound awkward chaps just wondering

havnt been roost shooting for years.....the birds just dont come in like they used to....sure ones and twos but thats it....20 years ago you could set your watch by them and they would come in on the same flightline two and three at a time for an hour non-stop.............

Did you shoot any mate?

The key things for me are:

1, It must be windy

2. The wood / roosting place is being well used by pigeon (**** on the ground and feathers)

3. If it is a large wood other shooters are strategically placed to keep the birds moving

4. Shooting roosting birds is a skillful job, No shooting "fly by" birds. The whole team will kill loads more if they shoot them "under carriage down"

30-40 birds after a rough shooting shooting day is pretty normal.

Sh*te I don't think i've answered your Q? :innocent:

In my area the birds seem to be leaving the fields about 3pm, even on fine clear days.

When roost shooting we are usually in position around 2pm.

If there is enough local disturbance, the birds will try to get back in the woods until its almost dark,

Interestingly, rooks and crows often flight in to roost in total darkness.

Did you shoot any mate?

The key things for me are:

1, It must be windy

2. The wood / roosting place is being well used by pigeon (**** on the ground and feathers)

3. If it is a large wood other shooters are strategically placed to keep the birds moving

4. Shooting roosting birds is a skillful job, No shooting "fly by" birds. The whole team will kill loads more if they shoot them "under carriage down"

30-40 birds after a rough shooting shooting day is pretty normal.

Sh*te I don't think i've answered your Q? :innocent:

I shot 5, I it was about 2:30 - 15:00 and I scared about 50 or so out of the trees as I arrived. I was only walking about the .410 as I'd never really been along this stretch as it had cows on it and I'd not bothered, then I suddenly realized they'd be gone so I thought I'd give it a look.

I'll do it probably next week getting their about 14:00 and I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by Bleeh

I always get there 1hr to hr1/2 before, like to prep, what i mean by prep is rake away any fallen twigs & leaves in a big circle so i can move quietly and safley with out taken my eyes of the tree line.The roost wood is a coniferous wood in uniformed pattern (nice straight rows) with the decidous trees so i spent last week cleaning a path through the middle (just a soft carpet of pine needles).It paid dividends as predictable the woodies decided to land on the other end of the wood, but with a quick silent walk i was soon under them.The wood is a plantation type about 100mtres wide but long, i ran the clearing through the middle so if the woodies dont drop on me, i can get under them in seconds without standing on twigs and dont need to leave the path.

I have left and old rake ther so i can quickly give it a go over every mth

Edited by Davyo