Welders flash

gixer1

Can't for the life of me remember what you do for relief of this but I have had a few hum-dingers of flashes tonight while welding a car, my eyes already have that sandy feeling so I know I'm in for it later, anyone offer any advice?

I know you basically just need to let it run its course but its a total pita!

Regards,

Gixer

P.s- I hate old rusty cars! :(

slices of raw potato can help mate and wear shades for a few days. i have done it plenty of times and never learn. not good for your eyes but you probably know that. don't use optrex it feels like vinegar.

take it easy.. aga man

Thanks, I knew it was bad when I was tacking the metal :(

I did it many years ago when I worked in a large factory but then I just went to the works nurse and she gave me some eye drops she said to use sparingly as if I was to get some grit in my eye I would not feel that it was there and it could damage my eye the drops worked well I did not have much discumfort at all as I remember.

Just get a pair of clear safety specs and wear the as well as your head screen. This will stop the eye getting burnt ( think they stop the UV Rays ?) you can still see what you are doing but the worst you get when the co ordination is off is a bit of spotty vision for a few minutes.

Can't for the life of me remember what you do for relief of this but I have had a few hum-dingers of flashes tonight while welding a car, my eyes already have that sandy feeling so I know I'm in for it later, anyone offer any advice?

I know you basically just need to let it run its course but its a total pita!

Regards,

Gixer

P.s- I hate old rusty cars! :(

Jeeze...don't take the risk...use the correct shields etc...it's your retina that's catching it...can do permanent damage.

:friends:

Ive been in the trade 35 years and theres not much you can do unless you have a friendly doctor who will let you have a pipette of amethocaine, a mild topical anaethetic (no chance), you could try some chloramphenicol cream not the drops from the chemist its a mild antibiotic and will lubricate your eye less gratey, its over the counter stuff so you dont need a prescription.

Alan

Get a few whiskeys down you mate and go to bed its the best if its bad.

Edited by Alanl50

Just get a pair of clear safety specs and wear the as well as your head screen. This will stop the eye getting burnt ( think they stop the UV Rays ?) you can still see what you are doing but the worst you get when the co ordination is off is a bit of spotty vision for a few minutes.

I would suggest that you do not put your theory to the test as you will painfully discover you are wrong.

I had arc eye from wearing a mask,but being the idiot i am i had changed the lens and put a lower filter in by mistake,so i was still filtering but not enough,24 hours of pain.

The best way to avoid arc eye is to wear an light reactive mask,which is what i bought the very next day.

ok. im not a welder. You lot are burning your retinas, and you could prevent it. (facepalm) Give me strength!!

It's fairly common to tack up without a mask and then run welds - or as I did when welding rusty cars the weld run is short or it just a series of tacks (morse code welding - lots of dots and dashes! :lol:) which means the mask is up and down constantly...the reactive mask is the way to go....but hindsight is 20/20 as they say!

Trust me - it was not intentional as everytime I've had it I curse my stupidity! Same with the "welders suntan" :(

Regards,

Gixer