Is my 12g over and under ok for lamping rabits??

currieboy

The lamp counteracts the darkness and you do not need a telescopic sight on a shotgun.

It would be a good idea if you could find someone to take you lamping and show you the ropes.

Its not as easy as it sounds and can be quite dangerous, if you are not careful.

:D yup,

Dont shoot anything that has glowing eyes thinking its a fox. It could be a cat, sheep, dog etc. You have to be 100% certain what you are shooting at, and 100% certain whats behind what you are shooting at.

Hi,

I use my 20 bore Berretta O/U for lamping rabbits and use a 28g cartridge of no.6 shot. I use my barrel selector so I shoot 1/2 choke first and comfortably take them at ranges out to 30m. :D Me and Dad taught ourselves to lamp and after we had got past Dad's squeaky boot problem we started to get good bags. :D

I like using the shottie as I can take them in longer grass and take them moving. :good:

FM :D

I think if I started shooting at place place in the night with a 12b, I would have a lot of angry neighbours :D

Must be loud at night, with no other background noise like in the day

Its very NOISY................did a rabit at 7am this morning....................JESUS THAT WAS A LOUD BANG....

Its really suprising how much difference the time of day makes........

I think if I started shooting at place place in the night with a 12b, I would have a lot of angry neighbours :D

Must be loud at night, with no other background noise like in the day

Its very NOISY................did a rabit at 7am this morning....................JESUS THAT WAS A LOUD BANG....

Its really suprising how much difference the time of day makes........

Thats because the USUAL background noise caused by on or more of the following Cars Planes Trains people animals etc etc has all stopped.

Background noise helps cancel out some of the sound from the shotgun in the day!

But at night when all is quiet it just SOUNDS louder as there is no cancelation from the noise of the day.

As for lamping in the dark i would say your better off with a Semi and you can attatch the lamp to the underside of the shotgun and go it alone!!

LG

Generally speaking its also a bit more still in the morning, wind really makes a difference. You also tend to be a bit more quiet in the morning, less words spoken and less clattering about, the first loud noise you hear is a belt of 32g of No6 clattering out of your gun and it makes a very sharp contrast with the noise that has gone before it :D

Shotguns certainly are noisy at night, my friends SBS made a hell of a bang one particularly quiet night... Mind you the echo that kept it going up the bay for the next few seconds had us chuckling for the rest of the night ??? . A fitting way for that fox to go (out with several bangs). However much I try I just can't help not feeling guilty about disturbing anyone that particular night.

John

i don't do as much as i used to but it's good fun , like the guys have already said it's a whole different ball game at night, be sure of your target and back stop and tell the farmer before you start banging away with your 12b , i often lamp alone with the shotgun , i have a deben tracer with a scope mount that fits onto my bottom barrel , you'll need a bit of foam between the scope mount and gun both to make it a snug fit and stop it shattering the bulb , i have the on/off swith stuck on the side of the forend with velcro and i have a 12v 7ah battery in my pocket , on a nice dark windy night it's brilliant :good:

wow....having worn my brawnys to lamp with for about a year i was horrified when after spending £150 on some comfy lechameau mouflons that one of them squeeks when i walk, so its amazing to find im not the only one with a squeaky boot, as to the shotgun for lamping questions, i found that when i switched to the 12g i had a more productive night even with the extra noise, i guess it depends on the rabbits alot as alot of them down our way dont seem to care when we are out and dont run untill its to late, also its more sporting as your get more shots on the move, also when searching for a lamp orperater make sure they know what they are doing as it frustrating when u can see the rabit but ur lamp operater cant and the rabbit gets away!!

obviously if unlike me ur not rural enuff stick to a silenced 22, also avoid valleys at night, as ull wake up mr harris two valleys away if u shoot on a still night in a valley, and mr harris will have a winge coz mrs harris was awoken from thy beauty sleep!!!