The right cartridge to shoot pigeons

Jamied123

I need to know what gun you're using mate? I agree there's no need to take the ***s, if you don't know then you don't know, simple.

In by Beretta 20g I use 28g Express Super Twenty because they're the best game/pigeon cartridge for the gun, in a no.6. The recoil is minimal considering the gun only weighs 6lb 1oz!

However in the Maxus 29g no.6 Kent velocity, Rio game 30g no.6 or if you want to spend some serious money, Gamebore Black Gold 32g no.6: These will kill stone dead 50 yds, they're so fast the bird drops before you hear the bang!

But, how good a shot are you? A good clay shot is not always a good pigeon shot. Better to set you're pattern out close and concentrate on birds you're 95% sure of killing than to overstretch your ammo and ability. I would say if you are using a o/u 12g within reasonable(35yrd) range then 1oz no.6 should do the trick, go for Gamebore or Express or Rio.

I would like to see 32g of propellant being fired, blunderbuss me thinks? I think the word Rocket would be a fair description.

No **** Sherlock, just seeing the funny side where we can.

On the subject of shot, I use 30g No6 lead, fibre wad. Have used bismuth on occasion.

:good::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 3 months later...

Started on 32g No. 6, recently started using fibre wad 28g no. 7.5 clay loads; worked before no probs as long as you dont try any shots that are too leggy. Good for windy flight lines in a good hide.

The 32g no. 6 has a goddamn awful report, whereas the 28g 7.5 seems to be much quieter for closer proximity shooting to livestock.

Edited by mbga9pgf

rc sipe 6 shot plastic wad brilliant cartridge just bought gamebore clear pigeon to try personally think there naff

Its strange how we all have our favourites.

I have used Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30gms No6 felt wad for years and believe they are the most consistent cartridge I have ever used.

I also like Gamebore Traditional Game in 20 bore as well.

Hull super fast 29g 6s are a smoking cartridge and I do like the rc 30s in 6 as well.

I tried the 7.5 s but didn't really get on with them,

So went beck to 6s

I did like Peter coplins high pheasant 32g 5s but haven't seen any for a long time.